Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Well I put her in today

I crashed my x5 today. I was doing some low inverted (cutting grass) and got a bit too low and at an angle and one blade dug into the dirt. One blade is fine the other has a notch in the root from where it hit the grip. Tail boom was bent a bit, main gear striped, tail gears striped and I must have snapped the jesus bolt because it wasn't there when I picked up the heli (head was off the main shaft)

So not a terrible crash. Parts are ordered and she'll be flying again shortly.
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

At least the grass looks short...

Sorry about for crash... Shame those rails are busted...
JR XG14 PL8 v2
mverhorst is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah I cut the grass at the field to 2" it was a few days after mowing so I'd say maybe 3 inches or less.

I'm not really upset since it was bound to happen sooner or later. Too bad it just was on something where the blades are more than $25 and I didn't have another set ready to go.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok... Where do you guys get your parts from?

I need to order some.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been getting my stuff through anything heli.

He ships fast and is a great guy to deal with if need be. He doesn't do coupons but his prices are right in line with everyone else.

But I've also ordered through heli direct (they don't always have what I need) and empire rc.

Empire is the gaui distributor for the US so they almost always have all the parts you may need.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anything heli super fast and great service.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

On ordering from AnythingHeli. Fast shipping and they usually have what I need in stock.

Gaui X4 II-Spirit RS | Gaui X7-Spirit RS | Gaui R5 V2-DEMON AXON | Soxos Strike 7.1-Spirit GTR
JETI DS-14 | JETI DS-16 Gen2
iscripter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put mine in yesterday.

Doing rainbows and the solder connection let go at the ESC. Probably 80 flights on that connection and kaput.

Damage wasn't too bad, it was pretty level when I lost power. The blades at first glance looked usable but they split at the trailing edge. Tail boom could be reused but I have spares. Landing gear and unfortunately the canopy where it mounts at the rear is torn up.

Still sucks. This has to be in the top reasons for crashes. I got a lot of "happened to me" comments.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

been careful and lucky so far. Haven't managed to put either of mine yet.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingquisinart View Post
I put mine in yesterday.

Doing rainbows and the solder connection let go at the ESC. ...

This has to be in the top reasons for crashes. I got a lot of "happened to me" comments.
This happened to me once and I have witnessed it 3 other times.

This is why I switched to xt150 (6mm) bullets.

I also got a 100W soldering iron and 63/37 solder and additional paste flux.

If done perfectly ec5s are supposed to be good to 120A continuous but I guess I am not perfect so the xt150 gives more margin for error and also maybe is physically stronger for more connect/disconnect cycles since it is fingers vs. Basket style on the male.

FWIW, if I had to do it again, I would probably switch to RC Pro Plus connectors instead of XT150s. I like that they 'click' when seated, also they have solder windows on both sides of the bullet (which I assume does not reduce the resistance significantly), and lastly there are a variety of housing types available for the RC ProPlus bullets.

--Ryan
Old 08-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingquisinart View Post
I put mine in yesterday.

Doing rainbows and the solder connection let go at the ESC. Probably 80 flights on that connection and kaput.

Damage wasn't too bad, it was pretty level when I lost power. The blades at first glance looked usable but they split at the trailing edge. Tail boom could be reused but I have spares. Landing gear and unfortunately the canopy where it mounts at the rear is torn up.

Still sucks. This has to be in the top reasons for crashes. I got a lot of "happened to me" comments.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk 2
Call me silly for this, but it's the reason why I pay the guy at my LHS 4 bucks to do ec5 on esc that I use them on. I noticed mine coming loose on my X4-II a while back, hooked up the battery, initialized, walked away and heard it initialize again. Dodged that bullet...........
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well the heli is on the work bench again haha.

I was doing some tic tocs and got a little low, so I went to level it back into a hover and just dumb thumbed it. Went in hard under power right on its side.

Took out some bearings, links, tail boom, main blades, tail baldes,gears (main and torque tube). It also hit the canopy, but that was already beat up. That adds character anyway right haha.

And it put a small dent in one of my new lipos. But I think it's alright. I monitored it for a while and no puffing and no sweet smell.

I actually had all the parts except the bearings, so those should be here Saturday as long as the post office doesn't mess it up. I have two labor day parties with heli flying to go to this weekend and Monday so I hope I'll have it going by then. It's all ready to go back together as soon as the bearings show up.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

She lives once again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in