Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gyro Tail Wag At All Gain Settings

I have been having vibe issues on my heli but they are finally corrected. Unfortuneately my tail wags really hard now regardless of the gain setting. I have a gy520 and usually leave it at 67% on the dx6i. I have a jr ds287 tail servo and heard that some servos dont work well with the gy520. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.
rdarby777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure that the soft, black, rubber insulted wire is not strapped down, this can cause wag.

Futaba has suggested rotating the gyro 90 degrees to cure wag as well.

I have GY520's on several 450 sized ships and they work extremely well.

I am using Futaba 9650's and JR 3400/3500 tail servos.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well the rubber wire was strapped down but had plenty of slack. I will unstrap then fly and if that doesnt work I will give the gyro a 90 degree rotation and see what happens. Thanks a ton this stuff can be frustrating at times.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might also try the metal plate and a second foam pad.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same problem with my T-Rex 450 Sport/GY520/Align 520. Maybe the gyro/servo combination is wrong.
During gyro setup i accidently put the gyro in 760 mode for a very short period. Maybe i destroyed the gyro or the servo? But i think there is some smoke left in both gyro and servo
I will unstrap the black cable and hope it will solve the problem. Also waiting to hear from rdarby777.
/Jonny

Last edited by Lager; 02-22-2012 at 12:07 AM..
Lager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

9650 is slow for a tail servo..
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thalios,

"9650 is slow for a tail servo.."

Yes, it is now, but it used to be one of the best choices for tail servos (five or six years back). It does work well with both the GY401 and GY520.

Newer/faster would be better, though.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Yes, it is now, but it used to be one of the best choices for tail servos (five or six years back). It does work well with both the GY401 and GY520.

Newer/faster would be better, though.
No arguments there, but I think that the newer faster gyro might have issues with a slower servo on the tail.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It doesn't.

I have a bunch of 450's. I converted all of them to GY520's a couple of years back.The newer ones have JR3500G's on the tail.

The older ones still have 9650's on them, and they do work well with the GY520's. There are no problems with using the 9650 and the GY520 together.

Again, I would think tail performance could be further improved with a more modern servo.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
It doesn't.

I have a bunch of 450's. I converted all of them to GY520's a couple of years back.The newer ones have JR3500G's on the tail.

The older ones still have 9650's on them, and they do work well with the GY520's. There are no problems with using the 9650 and the GY520 together.

Again, I would think tail performance could be further improved with a more modern servo.
I stand corrected!

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea still getting a wag in the tail...I am waiting for some gyros foam tape to arrive in the mail. I will be doing foam metal plate then foam. I am doing this for two reasons...1st is I have heard my digital tail servo may be cause interference...2nd it will help with any vibration issues. I will let u all know if it fixes the issue.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

What transmitter and what channel is gyro gain on?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have a dx6i and the gyro is on the "gear" channel on the reciever. I have my gyro gain set to around 69.5 but have gone as low as 60 with a consistent wag. I removed my tail grips and bolt so just the shaft and bolt are sticking out. I get the same type of wag on the tail. Whats weird is that i have virtually eleminated all vibrations and the status light on my gy520 stays red HH mode but still getting that pesky wag. ( if there are vibes it changes colors rapidly depending on the type of input to the servo ie. blue right and red left) I also ordered a new belt, and tail bearings. i think i have enough spare parts for another heli.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I just read your last post correctly wou are getting the wag without any tail blades on the heli. If this is so you have eliminated the gyro and servo as a problem. You are getting a vibration from one of the rotating parts. My little gear that the belt rides on in the frame (Tail Drive Gear/Pulley Assembly) had some uneaven wear patterns. I was having problem keeping belt tight. This or a bad bearing could be causing problem.
Ken125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea I was thinking that as well...I have replaced the tail main gear so it's not that. I have a new pulley gear and I'm going to swap that as soon as my new belt comes in from HH. If that doesn't fix it heli its going up for sale because I have officially replaced every part on this bird. I will say It runs smoother than it ever has besides the tail wag. Almost no vibe even at spool up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Replace both pulleys, front and back. And I highly recommend the aluminum pulleys. The plastic ones deform after a few flights.
Being is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in