Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
And a third suggestion for the app: is it possible to speed up the switching between the Basic and Advanced options? Anytime I switch back and forth them, there is a very annoying delay.

Thanks again!
What USB port (On PC side)? Not sure if your seeing what I had noticed but it lagged a bit on me with my older laptop using the 1.2 USB port.
New laptop has 2.0 and 3.0 ports and it's almost instantaneous.

It may be a similar issue for your lagging that you describe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
JETI USA
www.MSHUSA.com, www.MSheli.com
mamartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeye View Post
Correct. I understand that ramp rates apply to all three governed speeds transitions, would that be a correct assumption?

I understand the concept of 'rate', but would it be possible to specify ramp rates in seconds?

What would be the values to specify in today's units to get, say, a 1 second transition? Are the units linearly proportional to time? If I double the value of ramp rate, would that halve the time?
My old ramp up rates on previous firmware was @ a value of 1 for initial spool up and 5 for ramp up 10 for ramp down.

They made the resolution of the parameters much greater now for better fine tuning possibilities.

Now my initial is @ a value of 2 and my ramp up value is 15.

I personally kept an eye on the spoolup via the castle logger and kept raised the ramp up to a point where the initial soft start appeared to have a constant equal RPM rise to set headspeed.

If you keep those 2 values low like before it will ramp up supers low with an electric.
However that increased resolution allows a person with a nitro to achieve an awesome true soft start with there nitro machine.

I have the ramp up at a value of 3 or 5 (can't remember exactly which) And initial spoolup @ 1.
Doing this you can literally raise your throttle to mid stick and flip to IU2 and let the gov softly and slowly ramp the nitro machine up similar to an electrics soft start.

It's very cool to have both nitro and electric capable of the same soft spoolup rate

JETI USA
www.MSHUSA.com, www.MSheli.com
mamartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
And a third suggestion for the app: is it possible to speed up the switching between the Basic and Advanced options? Anytime I switch back and forth them, there is a very annoying delay.

Thanks again!
+1

Android app.....
bertu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamartin View Post
What USB port (On PC side)? Not sure if your seeing what I had noticed but it lagged a bit on me with my older laptop using the 1.2 USB port.
New laptop has 2.0 and 3.0 ports and it's almost instantaneous.

It may be a similar issue for your lagging that you describe

I was talking about the Android app via BT, that's a slow channel by design. Looks like every time I switch back and forth between the Basic and the Advanced settings, the whole config array is reloaded into the mobile. Maybe some caching could speed up the process.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

are you sure it does it everytime or just the first time? on my phone it takes a long time just the fiirst switch from basic to advanced than is a lot faster.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default pitch pump

I understand what pitch pump is for, but what does it do specifically? In other words, is it like feed forward gain for collective? Does it boost collective output briefly when it notices a quick stab on the collective channel? Something else?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Qestions on parameter

Hi,

as i wrote before, the new Firmware works great and my 450 feels good with the settings.

But one Question.
In the old firmware the Parameter agility influense the rotation Speed etc.
But in the new Software i have the 2 aditional Parameters Rotational Speed.

If i change them in the different Banks i can feel a huge difference.
But if i move the agility slider there is less influence.

I'am right ????

Please explain us the different influences of the two for me really similar Parameters.

Regards Marco
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ikon.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	566137  
marco@lottacustoms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco@lottacustoms View Post
Hi,

as i wrote before, the new Firmware works great and my 450 feels good with the settings.

But one Question.
In the old firmware the Parameter agility influense the rotation Speed etc.
But in the new Software i have the 2 aditional Parameters Rotational Speed.

If i change them in the different Banks i can feel a huge difference.
But if i move the agility slider there is less influence.

I'am right ????

Please explain us the different influences of the two for me really similar Parameters.

Regards Marco
Agility slider is best described as a style parameter and impacts cyclic feel. Robotic to a natural flybar feel.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammenotu View Post
I understand what pitch pump is for, but what does it do specifically? In other words, is it like feed forward gain for collective? Does it boost collective output briefly when it notices a quick stab on the collective channel? Something else?
Pitch pump "amplifies" the pitch output based on the speed of the collective input. The effect is that it's much easier to "pop" the disk and the amount of stick deflection needed to do so is reduced. The higher the PP slider, the more added pitch the system adds. At 100 pitch pump, you get about 10% possible (momentary) added pitch on quick pitch inputs. At 50 you get 5%. This also is very valuable in doing extremely fast tic tocs or improving the collective responsiveness of smaller models (<300mm). It allows you to run overall less pitch while still being able to get aggressive pops and stops out of the machine without having to run too much pitch and risk overloading the power system when you get a bit crazy.

It's also implemented in a way that does not impact precision collective maneuvers. It's basically there when you need it. (This is the brilliant part of the implementation). Normally I never liked pitch pump on other systems, but on the brain I find it very useful without the negative tradeoffs. It makes flying a lot more fun, which is always the goal. I really have fun with it on the smaller machines as well.

On my 700 to 500mm size machines I run 40 PP.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Pitch pump "amplifies" the pitch output based on the speed of the collective input. The effect is that it's much easier to "pop" the disk and the amount of stick deflection needed to do so is reduced. The higher the PP slider, the more added pitch the system adds. At 100 pitch pump, you get about 10% possible (momentary) added pitch on quick pitch inputs. At 50 you get 5%. This also is very valuable in doing extremely fast tic tocs or improving the collective responsiveness of smaller models (<300mm). It allows you to run overall less pitch while still being able to get aggressive pops and stops out of the machine without having to run too much pitch and risk overloading the power system when you get a bit crazy.

It's also implemented in a way that does not impact precision collective maneuvers. It's basically it's there when you need it. (This is the brilliant part of the implementation). Normally I never liked pitch pump on other systems, but on the brain I find it very useful without the negative tradeoffs.

That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Pitch pump "amplifies" the pitch output based on the speed of the collective input. The effect is that it's much easier to "pop" the disk and the amount of stick deflection needed to do so is reduced. The higher the PP slider, the more added pitch the system adds. At 100 pitch pump, you get about 10% possible (momentary) added pitch on quick pitch inputs. At 50 you get 5%. This also is very valuable in doing extremely fast tic tocs or improving the collective responsiveness of smaller models (<300mm). It allows you to run overall less pitch while still being able to get agressive pops and stops out of the machine. It's also implemented in a way that does not impact precision collective maneuvers. It's basically it's there when you need it.

Cant wait to try this out, ill start at 30 on my goblin 700 and see how that feels, if only the snowing could stop...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

For YGE esc should you use the brain or ESC soft start

So plain fast, gov off 3(x), plain fast or
Heli middle, gov off 3(x), plain fast

Good that there is a new update [emoji1]
MrEmail is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

My understanding that for non-VBAR escs, such as YGE, you don't have to worry about sequence programming, like plane fast, 3x gov off, plane fast. I got that info from https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...08&postcount=8.

But I don't know if that changes for the new firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmail View Post
For YGE esc should you use the brain or ESC soft start

So plain fast, gov off 3(x), plain fast or
Heli middle, gov off 3(x), plain fast

Good that there is a new update [emoji1]
dgunawan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 04:34 AM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi! There's a thing I cannot understand yet about how does pitch pump works... I wonder if it can exceed the maximum pitch programmed in the pitch curve. Let me explain my self better.

Let's assume that maximum pitch travel configured in swashplate setup (7th page in wizard) goes from -13 to 13 degrees, and that a pitch curve ranging from -12 to 12 degrees is programmed in the transmitter. If pitch pump is set to 100, up to a 10% pitch can be added when fast stick movement is detected. So, in this situation, if I quickly raise the stick, up to 1.2 degrees can be added. So...

- Can pitch in any moment exceed 12 degrees? I suppopse yes, it can.
- Can pitch in any moment exceed 13 degrees? I supposse it cannot, because this could lead to mechanics bending.

I'm right?

Regards,
Jose A.
Goblin 500
joanpeca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 04:40 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanpeca View Post
Hi! There's a thing I cannot understand yet about how does pitch pump works... I wonder if it can exceed the maximum pitch programmed in the pitch curve. Let me explain my self better.

Let's assume that maximum pitch travel configured in swashplate setup (7th page in wizard) goes from -13 to 13 degrees, and that a pitch curve ranging from -12 to 12 degrees is programmed in the transmitter. If pitch pump is set to 100, up to a 10% pitch can be added when fast stick movement is detected. So, in this situation, if I quickly raise the stick, up to 1.2 degrees can be added. So...

- Can pitch in any moment exceed 12 degrees? I suppopse yes, it can.
- Can pitch in any moment exceed 13 degrees? I supposse it cannot, because this could lead to mechanics bending.

I'm right?

Regards,
Jose A.

Right. Pitch pump is of course proportional to the stick position. Otherwise the model would be a jumpy imprecise unflyable mess.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:45 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Right. Pitch pump is of course proportional to the stick position. Otherwise the model would be a jumpy imprecise unflyable mess.
Thank you very much, OnTheSnap.That's something I never had any doubt about. My only concern was the limits that pitch could reach.

Everything's clear now!

Regards,

Jose A.
Goblin 500
Old 01-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spool Up

So with this Gov improvement I would have to guess the soft start has also improved? Have not had a chance to fly the updated firmware yet but currently am using a Castle ESC set to "External Gov" due to watching videos saying the Castle soft start was better but on the same note people were saying to set Castle to multi-rotor to give Ikon gov total control. Just curious if I should switch to multi-rotor. Any thoughts one way or the other would be appreciated.
DWayte62 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWayte62 View Post
So with this Gov improvement I would have to guess the soft start has also improved? Have not had a chance to fly the updated firmware yet but currently am using a Castle ESC set to "External Gov" due to watching videos saying the Castle soft start was better but on the same note people were saying to set Castle to multi-rotor to give Ikon gov total control. Just curious if I should switch to multi-rotor. Any thoughts one way or the other would be appreciated.

Very good question. I am in the same situation.
RCHN Ctzn #191, eXo 500, T-Rex 450L Dominator, Warp 360, Blade 130X, Blade Nano CPX + various toy models
tsoebirk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

Same I do.
Goblin 500
Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWayte62 View Post

I personally run external gov mode (ESC soft start enabled) on all my models or enable the soft start where I use YGE. The firmware has been modified to handle this better by not overshooting the target rpm on spool up.

There is no beating the ESC soft start since the ESC can play timing tricks with the motor. Such tricks are not accessible to the FBL through the throttle input.

The trade off is auto rotation bail out. You have the option of using the castle bail out or following my sticky to implement a tx mix for idle on bail out to prevent the soft start from re-arming. Future firmware release will have idle on bail out to simplify this.

Multi rotor mode is the simplest solution and hence the most popular. But there is no way to get the soft start as perfect as the ESC can. It's not that bad though. Just not my preference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in