Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

im looking at geting a Flymentor for my exi 450 pro. Not Becase i dont know how to hover But i want to build a Scale project Here is a List of my Current Stuff Hope Every Thing works With the FM

Radio Futaba 9c With xtremelink 2.4
cyclic servos EXI D213f metal Gear Digital
Tail Servo is a Emax ES9207 Analog
Gyro i have in it is a Gy48V ( Is the Flymentor Gyro Better)?
Running a running a hobbywing opto 40amp ESC with a ubec set to 5 volts it is a 3amp Bec

Motor is a 3600kv Detrum Every Thing works the way it is now. i just want to know if the Gy48v Gyro is worth keeping on there of if the FM Gyro will work just as hell. i know you say its just as good as a low cost gyro so that's why im asking because the gy48v is only about a $20 Gyro..

And for mounting the FM Gyro Can i use The gyro,Tape,steel Plate,Foam method of mounting?

Any Help will be great!
tcb2185 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have not tried the GY48V but if it's a piezo gyro it is not likely to be any better that the FM built in gyro but it may be easier to set up than the FM one.
If you are going to order FM from HobbyKing and provided you have a fast tail servo you may want to order an Assan GA250 mems gyro about $10 and works very well.
Whether you can get away with normal gyro pads will depend on the amount of vibration, normally it's fine but PUGel is better.
If you are going to fit the heli into a fibergrass fuse order a 10 tooth pinion for your motor.
Bear in mind you need a PC with XP or the hand held controller.Hope this helps.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

its a 401 clone and about holds just as good

here is a link

http://helidirect.com/gy48v-gyro-dy-1017-p-10574.hdx
Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb2185 View Post
its a 401 clone and about holds just as good

here is a link

http://helidirect.com/gy48v-gyro-dy-1017-p-10574.hdx
Then you should leave it connected.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ivor I went ahead and got 2 of the ga250 Gyro's Only Thing i am concerned about is the Bounce back it has that every one is telling me about. maby its just a 250 thing? idk
ill try them. i went for them because of the Small space they take up.. Hopefully it will fit between the Frame Rails on my exi 450 Pro or the FM Will Fit Between the Rails Down there only have about 26mm to work with.

I Want to get my Raido Setup for when i get My Flymentor ( Friday) That i can have every thing ready Hopefully with some luck and a All Nigher i can have it done by satrday so i can take it to the field and fly it. So what i need to know is do i need to setup my 3pos Switch for Channel 7? And how i would go about doing this for a Futaba 9c Radio.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

First I need to say sorry,I did not notice your tail servo is analogue and so will not work with the GA250. I will be testing one with a Emax ES9257 this weekend.
With the 9c you have the choice of setting FM gain and mode either useing a 3 way switch E or C and then useing channel 7 endpoints to set gain and mode, or useing one of the 2 side sliders. My preference is to use the right hand slider so that I can adjust gain with my right hand fore finger while flying.
Do do this connect the blue wire to channel 7, go to AUX-CH and set channel 7 to
Vr-E, Pulling the slider towads you will put FM in Pos mode with max gain, that max gain can be reduced useing channel 7 endpoints. Pushing the slider forward will reduce the gain. When the slider is centered the TX will bleep, you will feel the slider notch in and FM will be off. Pushing it further forward will put FM into balance mode,fully forward will be max gain, again this maximum can be reduced useing endpoints.
If you prefer to use a 3 way switch, in AUX-CH set channel 7 to that switch and use channel 7 endpoints to set the gain.
You need to be a little carefull, running digital cyclic servo's and FM may be a little to much for your 3amp bec.I dont think it will give you any problem but it might.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats Fine i got a Ds420 coming and a Ds410 coming I used to have a Exi Digtail on the tail witch i knew held good. so if i have to ill put that back on.. Can You tell me how many MM the 3 Axis gyro is for the Flymentor? As for my Bec it is a Ubec 3amp. 5amp MAX So it should hold Well! if not i guess i can go to the hobby shop and spend the $$ on a 10 Amp CC Bec That should be More Than Anof to power this Bird. Will The Stock Flymentor Gyro Handle my Good Analog servo?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb2185 View Post
Thats Fine i got a Ds420 coming and a Ds410 coming I used to have a Exi Digtail on the tail witch i knew held good. so if i have to ill put that back on.. Can You tell me how many MM the 3 Axis gyro is for the Flymentor? As for my Bec it is a Ubec 3amp. 5amp MAX So it should hold Well! if not i guess i can go to the hobby shop and spend the $$ on a 10 Amp CC Bec That should be More Than Anof to power this Bird. Will The Stock Flymentor Gyro Handle my Good Analog servo?
Yes you can use any normal fairly fast digital or anilogue servo with the FM tail gyro but it will have to be set up mechanically in rate mode and it will take some patience to set up.
The FM gyro is 28mmx28mmx16mm high.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

i set up all my Gyros in Rate Mode Any Way so this is no different i don't think. make sure ball is 90 off servo arm onto tail slider rod and then make sure the link in the back is also at 90 right?

Thanks again for the help.. i ended up setting channel 7 to switch c just because im not a big fan of the sliders i bump them way to easy for me. if i dont like the switch i might try the sliders.

What Gain Should i start at? start high and get it to dance and then back it down?

Thanks Again for all your help! im hoping this is a Quick Install. Thats why im trying to get every thing taking care of now before my FM Gets here Friday.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm afraid setting up the gyro is not as simple as that. Yes the gyro must be centred but then you must position the tail slider so that the tail holds in a hover without trim or stick input. The slider will end up offset towards the boom. Takes some patience and is better done on a turntable.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

then ill just put a ga250 in it. like i planned on. Another Qustion can i run my ga250 down in between the frames ? That was the main point i wanted to get a small gyro so i dont have 2 gyros hanging on the top.

Last edited by tcb2185; 09-21-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can fit it anywhere you like but it's best if you can see the led. I normaly fit the tail gyro on the boom mount and the FM gyro under the heli just in front of the rear skid.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick question.Say I pop up a hover about five feet,and stop,then start doing slow circuits ,will the FM hold my altitude till I move collective again in position mode?
papa38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa38 View Post
Quick question.Say I pop up a hover about five feet,and stop,then start doing slow circuits ,will the FM hold my altitude till I move collective again in position mode?
flymentor has nothing to do with altitude
Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok what am i doing wrong to get my servos to Twich just a lil bit between flight modes on FM?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing,it happens sometimes. As long as the swash returns to the same place I would'nt worry about it. You could try saving your file then loading factory setting and send to FM,then reload the saved file and send to FM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

im trying to get the swash setup 100% the right way.i got it level at half stick and low but when i get to full + one side goes up more than the other is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Tim
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

No there is no way to fix this, no endpoint adjustment's on flymentor, if the heli is set up correctly this should only be a small amount and will cause no problems.
But you can reduce it if you wish. Most heli's hover at about +5 degrees and for normal flying - pitch is not important so level the swash at +5 degrees it will then be closer to level at full pitch which should be set at 10 or 11 degrees maximum.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

it is only off a slight bit at the top of the pitch. i dont like running alot of neg pitch this is going to be a scale bird after i get it all setup and flying good. so even +4 pitch at half stick is fine with me! im running a flat 70 thro curve not sure about head speed. but every one tells me its a bit LOW for a 450.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flymentor over concrete

hello ivor. this is my first post on helifreak so please bare with me. i have read almost all your posts on the flymentor and thanks for all the help. my question is, since i have mostly concrete to fly on, can the flymentor be programed to see the concrete, some way? i have adjusted the ccd but no change in the green lite. do you think the people who made this system will update it in some way for us to download the changes via the computer. one more question, please. i have a spartan gyro on my 450 and since i am adjusting the gain thru the tx, do i have to make any adjustments via the helibal for it's gyro, blue wire not connected. thank you for your time and help. bill
bullfroggs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in