Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Orentation in ff

Aftet getting a 500 as a pratice bird to my 600 ..
I have really improved and moving to ff ...

When moving infront of you from left to right or right to left wht do you use to determin if the disc is level ie not tiped twards you sliding closer or tiped away slideing farther away .. i seem to loose the disc ... and loose orentation to correct

I do realize like hovering it all comes with seat time as we call it in the kayak world
Just wanted know your tricks ...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sometimes the skids can be a help. It's easy to see side tilt with the heli side-in when looking at the relationship of the close and far skid to each other. Though this is probably more useful for hovering than a fly-by.

However... it's not always easy to tell which is the close or far skid!
Some people will paint the skids different on inside and outside.

For faster flying down the flight-line... I think I use the whole heli and see if the heli is tracking the line or not. Typically you are going to do some kind of pattern or fig -8 or something, and so you will correct by the position of the whole heli, but for hovering, I sometimes use the skids as I mentioned above.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sometimes use the skids as my reference. Also I can tell by direction the Heli moves in relation to my stick inputs.
ChasingTail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look at your model as a whole, fixating on only 1 part can cause loss of orientation.
therefore look at the skids, the blades and the tail. Observe the movement of the model. Sometimes you have to have faith that it is actually moving the way you wanted because your eyes may play tricks on you. Try not to stare at it but rather imagine a big circle around it as it moves about and you control where the circle goes.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

hard part is the confadince that i have it going the right way hehe a flash from the disc is how i saved it today .... thanks for the pointers fellas ... lil 500 with no cano is making the 600 seem slow stable and vivable !

Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakboy69 View Post
hard part is the confadince that i have it going the right way hehe a flash from the disc is how i saved it today .... thanks for the pointers fellas ... lil 500 with no cano is making the 600 seem slow stable and vivable !

When in doubt, climb. Waggle the ailerons helps establish orientation. Also spin the tail to an orientation you can cope with.

Ideally you should be able to fly out of anything (except mechanical failure).

More stick time. Also height is your friend (no one ever collided with the sky).

If still too nervous, get a BD3SX or a SK720 with hard deck. BD3SX has push button rescue (heli becomes self leveling vertical rocket - and is a great gyro to boot - has saved me more than once). SK720 with hard deck takes over to climb if below a defined height.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Protos has Ikon furion6 has hc3sx im in good shape there ...protos sl isnt working curently and that is actuall giving me more confdence on the 600 ... just courious of personal tricks

Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakboy69 View Post
Protos has Ikon furion6 has hc3sx im in good shape there ...protos sl isnt working curently and that is actuall giving me more confdence on the 600 ... just courious of personal tricks
You are in good shape.

I find SL in forward flight is more a hinderance than a help. Flew with SL turned on by mistake once. Wondered why a circle in the wind was so hard to fly (fought me all the way around ).

Program your sim so SL/rescue switch resets the sim. This helps train the reflex if you try to always reset before you crash.

If the ikon SL is not working, then look for a 3SX (second hand if need be) so you can have the same confidence on the Protos.

Ikon SL being accelerator based is more prone to vibration issues, so extra thick 2 sided mounting tape may help.

If lost, quick tail flick with neutral cyclics will get the heli to an angle you can see it.(even if blades almost side on. Combine this with elevator wobble and you will quickly get your bearings (be sure to add height at the same time).

Best of luck flying.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to get confused when the heli passed in front of me (ff, side-in) and couldnt tell if it was tilted towards or away from me. Sometimes it even seemed to flick between orientations, which is a very nasty feeling. This caused me great trouble until one day I realised that it doesn't actually matter all that much, as the heli is only tilted sideways by a few degrees and not about to fall out of the sky at all. So just hang on and let it go straight across and out to the side of the flying area, then execute a turn as usual. You'll be a little bit more tail-in by then too.
Innovine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The way that I do it, is when the model is coming at me, I wil look at the whole thing. You can gauge which way it is sliding by tracking the overall movement. Eventually you will be able to just instinctively tell what the model is doing. Watching the dis is great for hovering and close in flying, but I would not rely on that or the skids. Watching the whole outline of the model will give you a quicker idea of what is going on.
Trex 450 Sport FBL w/ SK540
Futaba 14SG
Vermillionx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in