Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default tic tok with a 450

I've watched lots of instructional videos about tik toks and understand how to do them but it doesn't work for me in practice, when I do them I give full cyclic and about half of my collective and they stay in one place, however I feel that as they go on I need more collective, also when I watch the pro's they seem to pivot around the tail whereas mine pivot around the head and the tail moves quite a lot, almost like mini rainbows.
is it different with a 450 than something bigger or any ideas on what i'm doing wrong
thanks
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

tick tocks = less collective ( just enough to stop the heli at each movement and keep it suspended ) + more cyclic input to rock it back and forth pivoting it on the tail
rainbows = more collective less cyclic input

hope this helps
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you should ease on the cyclics a little more.

Also, i find tictocs harder on small size helicopters. As the rotor disc size increases, tic tocs become more controllable, easy and fun
Nightsinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

that's the thing, i'm using full cyclic and about 1/2 to 3/4 collective, I do find them easier with my x4II and when I had the furion 6 they were easy, it just feels like i'm using too much stick movement to get them how I want them.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tic tok with a 450

Maybe you need to up the headspeed a bit or change the agility or style in your FBL system if it is a FBL helicopter. 450's do not have as much lift as bigger helicopters, so it will not be as easy. However, it should be possible to do tic tocs, if you have a motor that is strong enough and more important, good lipo's.

Just try to do them slow at first, almost flattening the disc all the way. Focus on doing cyclic and only catching with collective. When you can keep it in the air that way you start working to smaller angles and faster tic tocs.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tic tocs need loads of collective from my experience...I kind of don't understand when people say use mostly cyclic and only a little collective as I've never been able to do tic tocs with just a little collective and I've had a very overpowered 450 and 550...maybe people have insanely quick cyclic...not sure but I run quite quick cyclic agility...

My old 6S 450X was insane at tic tocs as it had so much pop off centre...so I used about equal cyclic/collective. I can do tic tocs well and can hold them quite still doing diamonds and even the lower half of a big ben.

The 450 was the most agile tic toc machine out of any heli I've personally seen fly...not the most accurate by any means though.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

To the last poster. I have been working on this in the sim, and when I first tried to learn them I did like you said, loads of collective and very little cyclic to get them to look right. Then as I started doing them more, I discovered that using more cyclic seemed to give a bit of lift.

If you use a lot of collective on a real life heli, you tend to blow the tail out, even when have a great tail.
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I try to do tail down tic tocs so the heli pivots from the tail case. Many people doing hard cyclic tic tocs pivot the heli mid way up which is what lots of cyclic does (it wants to flip the heli at the mainshaft). Neither are the 'right' way to do tic tocs but I like the bottom pivot point myself rather than mid way up. IMHO pivoting from the base looks better (less jerky).

I use about equal cyclic/collective IMHO. On a overpowered 700 little collective/lots of cyclic might work great but all my helis have been decently powerful thus far (zero bogging issues to date)...I'll know pretty soon anyway (700 is incoming).

Never have I blown out the tail in tail down or tail up tic tocs. Aileron (tail rotor down) definitely once you get aggressive.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

so I tried using around the same amount of collective and cyclic and they look a lot nicer. pivoting around the tail which I also think looks nicer, my heli's aren't over powered and the tik toks are slow but now they look like I want them to, thank you
Anthony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in