Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC cutting out?

I had originally mounted my ESC just under the battery tray between the frames, but after doing some final dial in's today with some sport flying (first time since more than just hovering), the ESC kept cutting off completely mid-flight with an indecipherable (ie. not in the ESC manual) sequence of beeps. I am assuming it's an overheat cutoff, and while the esc is hot, it isn't so hot that I cant touch it.

After letting it cool down for :30-:60s, it would fly again normally for another minute or two.

So I moved the ESC to the side of the frame just behind (but not covered by) the canopy so it would have a LOT more air circulation. Same deal. :/

If I fly with NO canopy, I have no issues and she buzzes along just fine; inverted, et. al.

So I'm perplexed. Is the ESC just hyper sensitive? Anyone else have overheating issues?

I'm running stock everything and Turnigy 2200 mAh 3s1 '20-30c' batteries.

Should I opt for a different brand than the stock Hirobo?
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same issue. Some of the guys at my field also had the issue. Mine would cut out at around 3min50secs. I am running Hyperion 2600. Also mine had a horrible tail kick changing to idle up or back to hover mode and the governor section didnt work nicely at all. I changed the stock esc for the Kontrobu Koby 55. No looking back. Tail kick gone, motor sounds smoother, dont ask me why, and I can go for 7 minutes now flying light sport. Never had a thermal shutdown. Mounted the Kontronik under the frames.
mattks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had a similar problem where around 2 minutes everything would just cut out. Tried a different ESC but eventually found the problem was a bad receiver. Put a different one in and problem was solved. Just a thought.
kcgraves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgraves View Post
I also had a similar problem where around 2 minutes everything would just cut out. Tried a different ESC but eventually found the problem was a bad receiver. Put a different one in and problem was solved. Just a thought.
Hmm.. I'll check that, but Im pretty convinced it is an ESC thing. Mostly because it does give an undocumented series of beeps just as it cuts out...

iirc it's 2 quick beeps, a pause, and 2 more quick beeps.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may go with a diff ESC, I think, but ooof, that Kontrobu Koby 55 is $190???!?!!!

Is it THAT much better than a 50amp Castle Creations for $80?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dont know sl4ppy. That's all my lhs had and I wanted to fly my embla. Internet shopping not the fastest in south Africa so options limited.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You solved your problem yet sl4ppy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

no, not yet. Will probably just replace it. :/
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did some more testing this morning..

What's happening is that mid flight it is entering programming mode?!?!?!

What would cause it to do that?!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not familiar with that particular ESC but most of them have a way to set the throttle stick end points. Try doing that.
kcgraves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Broke mine yesterday. second time I had this problem, don't think I am dumb thumbing it that bad. After about 4 minutes of flight the machine just gets pushed down to the deck even although I am coming up on the collective. Manage to keep her straight and level onto te skids. At this point no damage. Replace battery, take of and she climbs like a rocket to the left. Only way to get her down is throttle hold, still cant get negative pitch. If u looking from tail boom to the front, front left servo horn is sheared and the front right servo has failed. Second time identical sequence. I don't think I am repeating the same dumb thumb sequence twice. Any ideas? I am sure something is failing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in