Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Eagle Tree and altitude

I have had very poor results with EagleTree what it comes to altitude logging/display. Is it just me or is this a common problem? I have datalogger v3 and OSD expander (not the pro), all software & firmware versions are up to date.

I first bought the Altitude Microsensor and had https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=159351 with it from day one. I have still not receivad an answer of ANY KIND from EagleTree in addition to one "what software versions are you using?" reply. After that no answer (other than auto-replies) to my several emails. And it's been two weeks now. Some customer service, I say.

I just recently got hold of the EagleTree GPS v3 expander and gave it a go. Distance, speed etc. work very nice but again the altitude is off the chart. Usually the alititude wanders between -20 and +20 meters when the heli is sitting still on the ground. In the air the altitude shows values between 0 and ~70 meters with no apparent relation to real flying altitude. Once the altitude was around -1600 meters for the entire flight (I have checked "start from zero" on OSD altitude settings).

There are 8 to 10 satellites available at all times. I live in Finland which might affect the resolution and accuracy of altitude information. Finland is so far north all the GPS satellites sit just above the horizon making 3D measurements a bit tough for any GPS. But nevertheless, I'm far from impressed with EagleTree altitude metering and their "customer support". What kind of experience do you have on altitude measuring with EagleTree?
Trnquill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnquill View Post
Finland is so far north all the GPS satellites sit just above the horizon making 3D measurements a bit tough for any GPS.
GPS satellites are not in equatorial orbits. Your longitude doesn't matter.

Danal Estes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danal Estes View Post
GPS satellites are not in equatorial orbits. Your longitude doesn't matter.
Oh, you're absolutely right! Didn't know about that. The Wikipedia animation you posted clarifies it once and for all! So, one excuse less for GPS altitude on sucking.
Trnquill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Well that is an AWESOME animation Danal ... Wikipedia is awesome.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnquill View Post
So, one excuse less for GPS altitude on sucking.
Exactly! It really ought to be better than that. But... most GPS chipsets are not all that accurate in altitude. This is one reason why Full Scale aircraft GPS approaches come in flavors of precision, where the high-precision approaches require an augmented GPS signal. WAAS or similar.

Anyway, doesn't really help you... altitude is hard to get from GPS. I'm wondering what the best "plumbing" is for a barometric sensor, to put a "static port" on a helicopter.
Danal Estes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danal Estes View Post
altitude is hard to get from GPS. I'm wondering what the best "plumbing" is for a barometric sensor, to put a "static port" on a helicopter
Barometric altitude is notoriously tricky too, until you get quite far from the surface. And that's not counting the fact that your whole craft is in a variable downdraft with vortices. It might end up being a "don't take two compasses to sea" situation, comparing GPS and barometric results.
halley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in