Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spartan AP2000i flight stabilizer

just ordered my AP2000i from Mark Weber(autoeject). hoping to install it on my nitro RaptorCam this weekend. If I like it I'm going to order two more for my E*RaptorCam and Joker.

I think this will be the answer to one man still photo operation.

how many other guys here run an AP2000i?

more onfo on the Spartan RC site
http://www.spartan-rc.com/products/ap2000i/ap2000i.htm
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had one on my 30 size heli, and when I got my raptor titan a couple weeks ago, I did not put it on till I had the heli setup and flying, and flew it for about 2 weeks without the ap2000.

Just this past saturday night I put the ap2000i back on, and in yesterday's and todays shoots, it reminded me why I like it so much

Not sure I would use it for video though (the stabilization), maybe with lower gain setting it will be OK for video.

One thing to be careful of, I have my raptor setup without it for 2 weeks, and my tx was setup for eCCPM. Well the ap2000i does all the mixing, so you have to change your swash type.

I have futaba 9c and when you change your swashtype, you loose all your settings, throttle curve, pitch curve, .... Just make sure to write it all down or reset it all up again, but just wanted to make sure you know this before you throw on the ap2000i on a flying heli and go fly.
dreslism is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll just create a new model for the AP2000i equipped birds and leave the existing model settings in case I go back. My nitro RaptorCam uses stock mCCPM mixing now so I think I can keep the same model settings or at the least change them just a little.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N74DV
I'll just create a new model for the AP2000i equipped birds and leave the existing model settings in case I go back. My nitro RaptorCam uses stock mCCPM mixing now so I think I can keep the same model settings or at the least change them just a little.
Oops, I meant to say I copied current model to a new one, but when I switch swash type in the new one I get hozed. I hate that feature, but futaba probably does it as a safety feature to make sure you reset everthing up fresh again.

Anyhow, you're lucky Mark is now a distributor in the US. I had to buy mine from Angelos in the UK, long time shipping through customs and all, then it comes registered, so someone has to be here to sign for it.

If you're running a 401 or better gyro that requires a gain setting, you can use the spare channel on the ap2000i to control your gyro gain.

I NEVER change my gyro setting in the air, so it was a no brainer for me to do this and use the gyro channel on my tx as the stabilization gain back into the ap2000i.

I don't think that feature made it back into the doc, just in forums from Angelos.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes.. I read about that with the 401 and plan to do just that.l I think I'll set up the AP2000i gain on the left hand slider of my 9303
Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N74DV
yes.. I read about that with the 401 and plan to do just that.l I think I'll set up the AP2000i gain on the left hand slider of my 9303
that's where my gain is also, on my left hand slider. Works out good.

I would love to try the new sensors they are working on so I don't have to use the IR sensor anymore. It works fine, except when trying to pirouette slowly for some pano shots, as it will push you around as you rotate.

I guess if you got up high enough then there should be no pushing while pirouetting, but even at 200 I still feel like I get pushed around.

I hear those new internal sensors will be quite pricey though.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been using the AP2000i for solo shots. It's nice to be able to look away from the heil and know it'll still be in the air when you look back.

I didn't know that the 9C would zap your model settings if you change swashplates. I did the make new model on mine so I wouldn't lose the old ones but I'm mCCPM. Tricky SOB's

I haven't tried it yet for video but I would think it would help make for a smoother flight concidering how, at certian gain settings, the stabilizer dampens your control inputs. That's one of the things I like about it since I've got tremors that can get pretty rough sometimes. Makes my Intrepid look like it's having siezures!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also ordered an AP2000 from Mark yesterday. I have never used a stabilizer on anything so it will be a learning curve for me. I plan on using it on a stretched Raptorcam too. (underslung for now)

So I will not have to change to many settings in my radio as I am still running mechanical swash?

Scott
loewermx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So I will not have to change to many settings in my radio as I am still running mechanical swash?
Scott

You will have to change setting on your radio. All of the normal rate setting are managed by the AP2000i. You might want to save all of your current settings. I did but I don't know why. I don't think I'm going to fly my camera rig without the stabilizer again. Whether the gain is on or not, once you've got it setup it'll fly just as before installing the AP2000i.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoeject
I've been using the AP2000i for solo shots. It's nice to be able to look away from the heil and know it'll still be in the air when you look back.
It is not nice. It's freakin fantastic:!: :!: :!:

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet for video but I would think it would help make for a smoother flight concidering how, at certian gain settings, the stabilizer dampens your control inputs. That's one of the things I like about it since I've got tremors that can get pretty rough sometimes. Makes my Intrepid look like it's having siezures!
About the video, it will take some getting used to. What I meant no on the video was that if you let go of the sticks, it will snap your heli back to neutral depending on your setting, so you have to know this and gently return your sticks where as if stabilization was off, it would not have mattered.

It will probably be better video once you get used to it.

DJ will let us know, his video is the best I have ever seen. I'll be interested to hear his take on it for video.

--Scott[/quote]
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What I meant no on the video was that if you let go of the sticks, it will snap your heli back to neutral
shouldn't make much difference to me then. when I am flying a video job it's like my sticks are in a big vat of super thick molasses. I moves the sticks ever so slowly from center and back to. controls are deliberate yet very slow. sometimes it'll take me a full 2 seconds to return a stick back to center from a turn. I fly way ahead of the helicopter.

a large part of me having to fly this way is my swash has about 40% of the cyclic throw that it does for a sport flying setup. that combined with 50% expo makes for a very stange flying machine but damn it's smooth.

I think the ap2000i may help for video or maybe not. most of my video (car lots and homes) is low level. ground to 70' most of the time with lots of obstructions so I mostly going to use this for still photo work and/or video from 300-500' AGL where it's hard to make out orientation.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Mark,

Do you stock parts for the ap2000i like the IR sensor cable?

Just checking so I know where to get one if I break it.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

yep.... he has everything except the FMA sensor
Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by loewermx
I also ordered an AP2000 from Mark yesterday. I have never used a stabilizer on anything so it will be a learning curve for me. I plan on using it on a stretched Raptorcam too. (underslung for now)
Scott
YOu will love it for shooting stills. REallly takes the edge off and allows you to glance over at your downlink monitor or hold it steadier higher up with confidence.

Learing curve is not bad. It can be frustrating setting it up. I think the goofy thing is that on the input side they name the inputs aileron, elevator, and pitch.

On the output side, they name them servo 1, servo2, servo3, servo4.

The servo1,2,3,4 all depend on your swash setting in the documentation and you knowing which servo is where and plugging them in that way.

I did not realize this when I first got mine.

I plugged my servos on the output side in the order of the way the inputs came to it. That was not right and I think most people who have any trouble setting it up do that too.

Look at the picture in the doc, see how they label the servos and plug that into servo slot 1,2,or 3.

I finally put my ap2000i back on my new heli over the weekend but I was up at my cottage doing it, and I left the manual at home and did not have net access up there. I could picture the manual layout in my head, and after a couple of tries, I got it set, and the mixing was all good.

I am really glad it is back on.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am trying to keep extras of the sensor cable because it is fragile. The only time I really worry about that is when moving it. If you set it up like Angelos suggests, it's pretty stable.

Scott

You're right about the snapping back. Especially at higher gain settings. I typically take off about 25% and adjust as needed from there. At the lower ends, it does recover less agressively I tried it at 70% once on a really crappy day just to see how it responded. Wow! Pops right back and right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got one on my Condor and I'm going to add one to my Vario. I love it! Especially having it on a slider, I can set it higher for shooting stills, but still turn it down (or off) for video.
Maxi Joker 2 with Carvec
Maxi Joker 2 with AP2000
Logo 10 Stretched
MLaBoyteaux is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey DJ,
I'd PM this but I wanted to make you this offer up front.....get me a working front mount for the Joker (i'll pay for it) by the end of next week and I'll send you a brand new FMA sensor...FREE!!!!

Regards,
Ant
Art-Tistic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

ha! I need my Joker to arrive first for prototyping. Hopefully within a week. Already bought my FMA sensor too... damn!

LOL I promise as soon as I get a Joker front mount working you'll be the first to know.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hey DJ

I thought I was gonna be the first to know!!

Really laughed out loud when I saw that post in the 'other' forum about Dakine's camera, by someone named "N74DV-2" lol....

I have somehow joined the club and had one of my posts 'made invisible' by the notorious moderator there. It was only some information I found with regard to the BlackBox telemetry unit which I have found to be quite nice for the money.

Pete
BladeWaxer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes... I actually enjoyed being able to post that over there today and snag that camera.

as I said over there... I use RR solely for MY personal benefit. I figure the "master" over there has prospered long enough from my material so it's my turn to use the system

I've already bought a handful of items over there after my official date of ban.

pretty soon he'll ban the entire N74DV string , N74DV-3, N74DV-4, etc LOL I'll have to get creative after that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in