Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters

Other Makes and Models Helicopters Other makes and model Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CopterX450se v2....

I just purchased a copterx450se v2 kit....this being my first heli and build I was wanting to get some advice on servos, motor, ESC, pinion size, gyro. I was looking for some good "cheaper" parts to complete this kit, I have been researching the hobbyking website and was wondering what everyone thinks about their products? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
gpff214 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Electronics can't be bought cheaply, but if you know what is what from experienced users thoughts, than you can usually pick up a good value.

Cheap motors lack power, cheap ESC's catch fire and fail mid flight, cheap servos can fail mid-flight and cheap gyros can fail and not work 100% causing crashes.

That said, be-careful on Hobbyking, lots of awesome stuff there but the reviews are lies. 99% of people rate everything 5 stars because every time you do, you gain points, and the prices for your account get reduced, etc.

If you plan to stay with a 450 for a long while, plan too go the 3D route, maybe go as expensive as you can on some key areas. As when you buy cheap, aside from just the risks of failure there is the lost money having to upgrade.

Value Setups:
- SERVOS - Go for TowerPro SG90/HXT9000 servos, their cheap and very reliable. Only problem is they have plastic gears, which strip. Opt for the TowerPro MG90's or Hextronic MG14's for a little more with metal gears. I've used them all in my 450/250 birds and love them.
- ESC - The market is small, but I'd recommend picking up a Hobbywing, reliable but not stupid-unsafe-cheap. Aim for 35A-40A, especially if down the road you plan to upgrade to a more powerful motor.
- MOTOR - Well, lots of cheap motors around, the Sonix and AKE motors are the usual cheap motors. They'll get you as far as some typical 3D before they need to be upgraded, aim for 3550Kv.
- GYRO - I don't know of any cheapo gyro's.. Only had two and they caused crashes, so you may have to opt a little higher for something reliable.

Pro Setups:
- SERVOS - Go for Hitec HS-65MG's, everyone runs them in their 450's, and 250's. This is the TOP servo for this class bird, there is the digital version which name escapes me at the minute.
- ESC - Scorpion or a Castle Creation, best ESC's to go for.
- MOTOR - Scorpion motor, maybe a 2221-8, LOTS of power.
- GYRO - Wide maket, lots of options, Logictech 2100T is the cheapest, Futaba GY401, Spartan DS760, Spartan Quark, Align GP750, Align GP780, take your pick this is the best of the crop IMO.

Pinion tooth count depends on your motor and aimed headspeed, pull up a calculator for your headspeed and shoot for what you want. 2800RPM-3100RPM is the best range, more headspeed more stable, also more 3D ready. 2400RPM should be ok for sport flying.

You got a great 450 kit, all CNC and carbon, cannot beat it, toss on a nice set of stiff carbon blades and you'll have a honey of a bird! Have fun!
B2TheEYo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpff214 View Post
I just purchased a copterx450se v2 kit....this being my first heli and build I was wanting to get some advice on servos, motor, ESC, pinion size, gyro. I was looking for some good "cheaper" parts to complete this kit, I have been researching the hobbyking website and was wondering what everyone thinks about their products? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I have a CopterX 450 and I love it!

I run this ESC in my CopterX 450....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2164

This motor with a 13t pinion.

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-3dx400/Detail

This gyro....

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...o-G401B/Detail

These batteries....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306

I had some good servos out of another heli that I use ( DS285 digital servos).....but I have heard that these also work very well....

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...?idproduct=662

My copterX 450 flys great!! I can do all kinds of 3D stuff.....and the flight times are right at 5-1/2 min in idle up mode. I've very happy with it....
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What about a good tx/rx? Can align parts be used such as blades, etc....would one need to shim the blades to fit or are the "direct replacements"
Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Go get yourself a Spectrum DX6I, used $100. It's imperative you have a quality computer radio if you plan to stick to this hobby.

If you plan to go Nitro or scale in the future, do get a 7Ch, no 6Ch.

Align blades will be a drop fit, if their not, sims are included (possible they changed the design?).
B2TheEYo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2TheEYo View Post
Go get yourself a Spectrum DX6I, used $100. It's imperative you have a quality computer radio if you plan to stick to this hobby.

If you plan to go Nitro or scale in the future, do get a 7Ch, no 6Ch.

Align blades will be a drop fit, if their not, sims are included (possible they changed the design?).
Yep, that's what I have...and I'm very happy with it!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, found a spektrum dx6i locally for $125, and went the "value route" for now so i can get this thing off the ground ASAP......
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would also think about getting a simulator. They pay for themselves. and trust me, you will crash eventually for some reason.
fspilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpff214 View Post
I am thinking about purchasing the CopterX 250 se ARF. Are you happy with the
quality of the 450 kit. No experience with the CopterX brand.
Any advice would be helpful.
KSTT325 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where is a good place to purchase the copter x 450?
Mark5804 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ehirobo.com $54 for a barebone kit. Then follow the recommendations above to complete it.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

As you will be using Spektrum, I'd like to recommend you use a RX with a satellite antenna (eg AR6200).

This is because the carbon frame likes to shadow the antenna, it's very important to have a redundant path. I've had and seen problems with 450s falling from the sky due to loss of signal, in every case the RX antenna was shadowed from the TX by the frame.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the hk933 digital servos are good for cyclic. They are relabeled henge servos for under 10.
Also the jk 929/939 digitals are good. They are relabeled corona servos. They are about 6 bucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in