Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Closed Account

Default sluggish 500L normal?

I picked up a 500L recently swapped out most of the electronics except the motor. I have an edge 75 and I have the governor set to 2700 rpms. 12T pinion, the first thing I notice is that it doesn't appear to reach the set rpm point. Seems to reach a max of 2500rpms. I think I should be able to reach 2700 with the stock gear ratio. The thing bogs pretty easily if you do something like a tik tok. You can see my rpms fluctuate pretty easily. I have the gov gain set to 17 in the CC software.

Seems to me you need an edge 100 for this thing and a different motor to bring it to life. What is the general consensus on the 500mx motor. I run mostly KDE in my other helis. But I wasn't wanting to buy a new motor and ESC but at this point I think I might have to. Its such a dog compared to my other helis. What are you guys doing to bring it to life?

xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Closed Account
Thread Starter Thread Starter

is the 500mx dominator motor 6 poles or 8? I cant find it documented anywhere but the normal (black) motor I find references for 6 poles. Maybe that is my problem I had it set to 8.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the KV in the 500L? I'm running a Turnigy with 1800KV and a 12T pinion to get around 2650 rpm. The 500 pro used a 1600KV motor, so if the 500L is the same, that might be your problem. Try switching to a 14T pinion and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you're only out a couple of bucks - a heck of a lot cheaper than a new ESC and motor! I can't imagine that a 75A ESC would not be enough for a 425mm machine.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your having governor/gearing setup problems. The 500mx can pull 75A continuous for 1600 watts. You literally have the perfect ESC for the motor. Align cheaped out with their 70.

You should tinker more with the governor and gearing to get your RPM and hold it. I've seen the 500L absolutely rip even with the Align 70 ESC and V curves. (In person)

If the governor frustrates you, try the motor on V curves before you buy new stuff. That motor is awesome.
Alan Szabo Jr. ALIGN Trex 500L with GPRO 11/6/2014 (4 min 29 sec)
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
Your having governor/gearing setup problems. The 500mx can pull 75A continuous for 1600 watts. You literally have the perfect ESC for the motor. Align cheaped out with their 70.

You should tinker more with the governor and gearing to get your RPM and hold it. I've seen the 500L absolutely rip even with the Align 70 ESC and V curves. (In person)

If the governor frustrates you, try the motor on V curves before you buy new stuff. That motor is awesome.
I think my problem was I had the poles set to 8. I believe this is a 6 pole motor. I switched the setting to 6 poles and now I can hit the set rpm point. I couldn't fly it though because it is to dark here I could only hover it. So it probably wont be until next weekend that I get to try it out and see if I can still bog it.

Posting a video of Alan Szabo is cool but doesn't help me. He flies the piss out of anything, he could probably do all that with an mcpx and not bog it. Although I do hear him bog that 500 pretty badly a few times. I don't claim to have anywhere near his level of collective management.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea its definitely a little setting here or there. Keep tinkering with it. It is a 6 pole motor.

You should have quite a nice helicopter on your hands. :-)
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am guessing that the 500L is similar to the 500 Pro and is set up for a higher head speed. While 2700 on the ESP is good, it may be a bit slow for the L model.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
I am guessing that the 500L is similar to the 500 Pro and is set up for a higher head speed. While 2700 on the ESP is good, it may be a bit slow for the L model.
Yea my problem was I had the wrong poles set I just assumed it was 8 poles. The proper setting is 6. Which now the heli flies correctly but still does not have the pop I like. I am thinking 2900 head speed is likely where its at for this heli. Although I doubt the 500mx or the edge 75 will handle that head speed. I will likely find an edge 100 for it and then a different motor.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The motor will handle it, but I would think a Talon 90 would be a good fit.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
The motor will handle it, but I would think a Talon 90 would be a good fit.
Talon 90 is just to clunky to me. I want everything to fit under the canopy. I bought a KDE motor for it so I will pick up a edge 100 too. KDEs fly so smooth and they sound a little different to.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you running a separate BEC?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Are you running a separate BEC?
Yea BEC pro fits inside the frame in the rear
Old 02-04-2015, 01:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both my BEC and 75 A Castle ESC inside the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in