Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Logo 550sx gearing and headspeed advice

I recently purchased a 550sx combo from Mikado. The YGE burned up on the 3rd flight so I'm using a Hobbywing 100amp Platinum V3 for now. I own a 480 xxtreme (combo as well) and absolutely love it. It has tons of power and is a very capable 3D machine. I was hoping my 550 would be a bigger version of what the 480 has provided me with, but after the first few flights it seems to be really underpowered. Collective pop is lacking and the machine bogs in certain maneuvers causing the cyclics to slow down dramatically.

I've read a lot of posts about this issue and basically come to the conclusion that my options are to try a 15T pinion and maybe still not be happy, switch to the mod 1 main gear and risk the electronics running hotter, or switch to a different motor altogether.

I have a couple of questions:

1. For those who have played with the gearing, what would your advice be? Switch to mod 1 or try the 15T?

2. For the Scorpion 4025-1100, what should I run on the pwm and timing? I felt the YGE was more powerful and its probably b/c it had the optimal settings for the motor.

3. How tight are you guys running the tail belt?

Thanks for the feedback and input.
clever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

After a lot of adjusting, and tinkering I came to the conclusion that I could not get the headspeed I wanted. I also toiled with switching to mod 1 but ultimately the motor would pull just to much amperage (its just not very efficient). I ended up installed a KDE direct 550xf-1200 motor which fit perfectly (still utilizes the counter bearing). I could not be happier with the results. A small amperage increase, but everything runs cooler and still get 5:30 mins of flight time with a 5000 mah. As for the belt, I get it as tight as I comfortably can and use silicon lubricant to smooth things out.

Just my two cents
Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmaeus View Post
After a lot of adjusting, and tinkering I came to the conclusion that I could not get the headspeed I wanted. I also toiled with switching to mod 1 but ultimately the motor would pull just to much amperage (its just not very efficient). I ended up installed a KDE direct 550xf-1200 motor which fit perfectly (still utilizes the counter bearing). I could not be happier with the results. A small amperage increase, but everything runs cooler and still get 5:30 mins of flight time with a 5000 mah. As for the belt, I get it as tight as I comfortably can and use silicon lubricant to smooth things out.

Just my two cents
Thanks for the input. It's kind of disappointing since my 480 runs so well with the combo scorpion motor. I found the correct timing and pwm settings for the motor (5deg 8pwm) and set those in the esc, we'll see tomorrow if it makes difference. My belt was really tight so I loosened that a bit.

What ESC are you running with the KDE motor? Also what pinion are you running on the motor?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever View Post
The YGE burned up on the 3rd flight
Personally I think YGE is the biggest, overpriced piece of crap on the market. I wouldn't use one if they were free. Nothing but bad luck with them. Its really bad when Hobbywing builds a MUCH better ESC. After reading your post I'm thinking the 550sx might not be the model I thought it was
I really hope you get your model flying how you want it

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Personally I think YGE is the biggest, overpriced piece of crap on the market. I wouldn't use one if they were free. Nothing but bad luck with them. Its really bad when Hobbywing builds a MUCH better ESC. After reading your post I'm thinking the 550sx might not be the model I thought it was
I really hope you get your model flying how you want it
Thanks, me too! I think its an awesome platform and there is a lot of potential. Parts are well priced and low count. I just want a similar punch to my 480.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I miss flying my 480, still needs a Neo. I sold all my Vbars when I purchased the Vcontrol. With my OCD having minimal wiring is very appealing. As of right now the 800 has one with rescue, and the 600 has one without rescue. As fun as my (stock combo kit but now with a HW ESC) 480 is, the 600 on 10s is amazing. The spool up sound is

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about the YGE blowing out on you. The one on my 550sx has worked OK so far, but I have had one blow up on me before too.

The stock setup for the 550sx isn't really made for hard 3D smack. I think of it as a smooth 3D machine on the combo kit. I run about 2150 HS on it and it tosses around nicely. You can of course do the mod 1, 12T pinion, new motor, new ESC, etc ..and it'll smack great, but out of the box it's not that.

That being said, I'm putting a Jive Pro 120 and 7s pack in mine and I'll see how it does with that. I'm hoping to get 2350 HS from it.
Goblin 500 Sport w/ Xnova/BK/Jive & NEO (rebuilt)
dominoedge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
....to try a 15T pinion
sorry to horn in, but what is your target HS, currently used 0,7M pinion size and battery C-rating?
600sx is nice on 2150, so I'd think 2300 would fit well to the 550sx. for this I'd try 17t - M07 (according to MrMel HS calculator). not sure it that pinion is available though.
with mod1, 12t seems perfect.
cheers
Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the input. It's kind of disappointing since my 480 runs so well with the combo scorpion motor. I found the correct timing and pwm settings for the motor (5deg 8pwm) and set those in the esc, we'll see tomorrow if it makes difference. My belt was really tight so I loosened that a bit.

What ESC are you running with the KDE motor? Also what pinion are you running on the motor?
I am using a talon 120 with 15 tooth pinion. Good for 2300 rpm
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am using a talon 120 with 15 tooth pinion. Good for 2300 rpm
I wonder if the 100 amp ESC would be sufficient for the KDE motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szaki75 View Post
sorry to horn in, but what is your target HS, currently used 0,7M pinion size and battery C-rating?
600sx is nice on 2150, so I'd think 2300 would fit well to the 550sx. for this I'd try 17t - M07 (according to MrMel HS calculator). not sure it that pinion is available though.
with mod1, 12t seems perfect.
cheers
Right now I'm running the stock 14T pinion. I'd like to run 2300. I think I'm going to try the KDE motor.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will like the KDE motor( plus is weights 50 grams less). Also make sure you get the 15 tooth pinion. I just check mine this morning and I have the castle set to a governed 2280 ( the max recommended using the castle gov)
Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

That should be perfect. Any idea how many amps that motor pulls?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had both Yge and Kontronik. I could bog the Yge in full collective hurricanes but never the Kontronik. I even used Yge with vbar gov but the Kontronik is just better.

Last edited by Lompma; 01-03-2016 at 01:41 PM..
Lompma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Just my two cents
It looks like the KDE has a 6mm shaft. Are you using the mod1 main gear and pinion?
dbcaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are two KDE G3 motors that fit the Logo 550 nicely. Either can be ordered with a 5mm or 6mm shaft too.

550XF-1200 - rated watts max / cont. = 2775 / 4550
600XF-1100 - rated watts max / cont. = 3335 / 5500

How many amps you pull depends on how hard you fly it of course.
The 600XF is 50 grams heavier, but more than makes up for it with another 950 watts of peak power.

I'm running the 600XF-1100 with a Jive Pro 120 on 7s (4400) and am very happy with the power and efficiency of my setup. Power is there when you want it and flight times are great considering the load put on it. Using mah telemetry to tell me when to land (25% remaining), I flew back to back flights yesterday of 8 minutes and just under 4 minutes (landing at the 25% remaining mark for both). 8 minute flight was smooth 3D at 2000 and 2nd flight was hard cyclic & collective throughout the 3:55 flight. Ahhh, flight 2 was louder and more fun

Using the 11T and Mod1 gearing too. The stronger gear train is not a bad idea with the more powerful motor options like this KDE or the Pyro600. My headspeeds with this combo are 2000(68%), 2150(73%) and 2300 (78%).
Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Kontronik setup:
12 pinion
13mm mode 1 gear (which seems to be indestructible, 2 crashes in 2.5 years, have not had to replace this one)
650-103 motor
100 LV Jive
6s 5000 pulse batt

Gets warm but not hot, but I'm a intermediate pilot at best, that's why the great equipment, to make up for my lack of skills.

Erik
w18604 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have always wanted a pyro 650. I just have never been willing to fork out the money to buy one. They are some serious $$$$$.
dbcaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

True, not cheap but worth it, but when I can, I like to spend my money in other places than China. That's how I got into Logo's in the first place when I started back into the hobby and was living in Germany a few years ago.
w18604 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcaster View Post
It looks like the KDE has a 6mm shaft. Are you using the mod1 main gear and pinion?
KDE offers a 5 mm shaft version. You have to order it from the web site
http://www.kdedirect.com/collections...ant=1055813255
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

if anyone is looking for a 15 tooth mod .7 pinion I have one to sell ,15.00 shipped cont US ,pm me if interested , also have new mod .7 main gear ..
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in