Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

For your problem reverse the gyro change the YAW in the control menu or the tail servo in servo menu. One will change the rudder stick direction and the other the gyro correction direction.

Use of external gyro means that if you have a better or higher quality gyro you want to use on the heli instead of the FM gyro which some people prefer. I use Spartan gyros on both my helis.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In the software set up the servos are noted 1 2 3 (ail, pitch, ele) clockwise from 11 o'clock.
I had huge problems geeting the pitch compensation right, it was always wrong with the swash pushing into the pitch but the roll compensation was fine.

What I have now is the servos 1 2 3 (ail, pitch, eli) anti clockwise from 2 o'clock which works fine.

Locally we have the tips of the firs swaying so maybe 7 - 10+ mph and slightly gusty. The flymentor locks and holds the heli within a few inches, switch it off and it's hard work keeping it within a foot or so.
"Things you need to know about The Penguin of Death: He is strangely attractive because of his enigmatic smile He can kill you in any 1 of 412 different ways." Like my life it makes perfect sense .... sometimes
Nickj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
For your problem reverse the gyro change the YAW in the control menu or the tail servo in servo menu. One will change the rudder stick direction and the other the gyro correction direction.

Use of external gyro means that if you have a better or higher quality gyro you want to use on the heli instead of the FM gyro which some people prefer. I use Spartan gyros on both my helis.
what channel could it be? is it the rx channel 4 & 5? to replace with external gyro? I have kds-800 gyro.
ronatoju is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronatoju View Post
what channel could it be? is it the rx channel 4 & 5? to replace with external gyro? I have kds-800 gyro.
If you are useing the FM internal tail gyro and the tail moves the wrong way when you move the heli then reverse the tail servo under the servo tab in the software.
If the stick direction is wrong then reverse yaw under the control tab in the software.
If you are going to use an external gyro then connect it to channels 4 and 5 on your reciever and set it on your transmitter as you did before fitting FM and FM will have no control over it. Ivor
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes channel 4 for the gyro and 5 for is sensativity.... It will no longer connect to fly mentor at all. You will remove the leads from fly mentor that plug into 4 and 5 on your rx and hook the gyro up there then disconnect the tail servo from flymentor and hook it up to your gyro.... I am using the Flymentor gyro right now and have been pretty impressed with it. I have a futaba gy401 and it is better than the flymentor one so far but my 401 has a better servo too. I think I am going to throw a better servo at the flymentor one and see how it does.... It reall quite good now unless I punch the collective real hard then it drifts a bit but like a said it has a slower servo and I have not played with dialing it in yet either... Right now it works pretty well with the default settings in the software and I think the gain is sitting at 70 in my tx.... I have 2 settings for it in my tx I think one is 60 the other is 70 but I have not played with it really at all... I just jumped it in increments of ten till it started to twitch then dropped ten back... I think it was a little....not much twitchy at 80 so I dropped to 70 but who knows it may well take 76-8 before the twitch shows up I havent tried it yet....
T-Rex 800DFC Pro, 700LTOP, 700L Night, 550V2, 470LT, 250DFC, Oxy-2 x2, 3 x2, 4, Goblin 500 Sport(soon), Fireball x2, Blade 230s Night, 180CFX, MCPS, Nano CPX & NQX2 FPV, Vortex 250, Inductrix FPV. K110 Cars/Trucks/Planes AMA#L965241, Part 107 Pilot
#iamundeservedlyblessedandiknowit
TeeJayShelton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default External gyro and Flymentor

I installed the old gyro and set it to my usual setting on TX.

channel 4: end point 80, subtrim 0
channel 5: end point 100, subtrim 50
gyro gain +50

I finally put it into 30cm hover for 5 seconds in horizontal mode (red/green light). But just like I am controlling without FM. Is there anything I need to do? And how does this horizontal mode really do? I still didn't tried to fly outside due to bad weather.

And also if I switched it to position mode (indicating a blinking green light). And I tried to put it onto hover but I am freaking out to see it is not vertically stable. If I try to push the right stick to stabilize it the FM is countering my TX commands and always tilting to the left.

But by watching your videos guys, I am amazed and wondering if you are putting it from horizontal or normal mode to certain altitude and switch it to positioning mode? or positioning all the time?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you get red/green and not just green?in other words how is FM being controlled for modes and gains.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
How do you get red/green and not just green?in other words how is FM being controlled for modes and gains.
I can switch from horizontal mode to positioning mode as the lights indicating. But as for this time I can control the horizontal mode but for the position mode are still riddle.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you played around with the gains in the modes??? I Have mine on a knob that I turn up till the heli starts to twitch then back off just enough to make it stop.....
I will eventually put mine on a switch but haven't done it yet..... Try up ing your gain for each mode till it starts to act twitchy then backing it off so in the end you get the most stabitlity you can without the heli looking like it has a nervous tick.... It works just like a tail gyro.... if it is drifting a lot it needs more gain.... If it is twitchy it needs less gain.... play with the gains to get it dialed in..... did you trim it up when it was in a solid red llight only condition before you asked it to takeover/assist you? If not doing so will help.
T-Rex 800DFC Pro, 700LTOP, 700L Night, 550V2, 470LT, 250DFC, Oxy-2 x2, 3 x2, 4, Goblin 500 Sport(soon), Fireball x2, Blade 230s Night, 180CFX, MCPS, Nano CPX & NQX2 FPV, Vortex 250, Inductrix FPV. K110 Cars/Trucks/Planes AMA#L965241, Part 107 Pilot
Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I can switch from horizontal mode to positioning mode as the lights indicating. But as for this time I can control the horizontal mode but for the position mode are still riddle.
Your videos inticate that Flymentor is doing little or nothing.
We need to know how you are controling gain. What channel do you have the blue wire plugged into and how are you controlling the gain. Unless you answer the question we cannot help. Ivor
Old 07-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Your videos inticate that Flymentor is doing little or nothing.
We need to know how you are controling gain. What channel do you have the blue wire plugged into and how are you controlling the gain. Unless you answer the question we cannot help. Ivor
I plugged the blue wire in ch7.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry Flymentor in horizontal mode

Before flying outside. I tweaked the FM in the computer and set the tail gyro set up to its default as in manual (even I am using external gyro) and advanced settings to default.

Fly out is Great! The FM is doing great in horizontal mode.

As I fly out I was delighted with the smoothness. I suddenly though to switch to positioning mode. After switching the heli goes nuts. There was no problem at all with the response as it was actually holding itself to its position. But it was orbiting in about 1 meter radius. So I thought it is drifting. So I switched again to horizontal mode. As I gain control I switched again to positioning mode, it goes the same so I tried to take over without switching. It was too late after I switched to horizontal mode with the altitude until then hits the ground sideway. OUCH! I have a broken blade, dismantled linkages and toothless servo gears.

Last edited by ronatoju; 07-04-2010 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: line added
Old 07-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

ouch... sorry to hear about your crash... I havent crashed since yet since I put mine on. I don't know but it sounds to me like the gain in position mode must not be anywhere near the same as it is in balance mode??? I havent had the problem so I dont know...
Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch hope she is back up soon

Your Ch7 gains should be as follows:

Position (green or flashing green) around +75 to start with.
Balancing/Horizontal (red and green) -70 to start with.
When on zero you should get Red then FM is off.

From what you describe I think you possibly have them +100 & -100
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I plugged the blue wire in ch7.
How are you controlling Gain ????. Untill you are shure what you doing with your transmitter disconnect the blue wire and use the software preset gains. Pos mode +70. Do not switch from balance to position in flight untill you are sure what the heli is going to do in position mode or you may well crash again.
Do not know how your transmitter works but if it is possible to simply assign a three way switch to channel 7 you can then use end points on channel 7 to set the gains. This is the easiest way to do ,set endpoints at 90 for balance and 55 for position to start with.
If you do not do any of the above you must start in position mode and watch the blades as you increase throttle they should stay level, if they do not then gain is to high or you have vibration problems. If the blades stay level and the heli is stable but will not hold position then the gain is to low. Ivor
Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or maybe it was from the vibrations... Because I just repaired it from serious crash from my first day first hover which has been replaced the feathering shaft, main shaft, main blades, main gear, tail boom, lots of linkages, brake, feathering shaft aluminum collar, feathering shaft rubber collar, tail DS, 1 cyclic servo that cost me a brand new E-sky hunter 4ch coax heli RTF.

Well of course before I fly into positioning mode. I tested the the positioning mode for its response. And seems it is well tuned up I tried to hovered it and was, it is banking to the left. I land it and remembered from the manual that positioning mode works only from -0.3~3meters in altitude. And so I tried it and that's what happened.

Last edited by ronatoju; 07-04-2010 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: line added
Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Or maybe it was from the vibrations... Because I just repaired it from serious crash from my first day first hover which has been replaced the feathering shaft, main shaft, main blades, main gear, tail boom, lots of linkages, brake, feathering shaft aluminum collar, feathering shaft rubber collar, tail DS, 1 cyclic servo that cost me a brand new E-sky hunter 4ch coax heli RTF.

Well of course before I fly into positioning mode. I tested the the positioning mode for its response. And seems it is well tuned up I tried to hovered it and was, it is banking to the left. I land it and remembered from the manual that positioning mode works only from -0.3~3meters in altitude. And so I tried it and that's what happened.
HOW ARE YOU CONTROLLING GAIN AND WHAT IS IT SET AT.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Odd flight mentor servo action

I saw my first FlyMentor oddity today... I didn't cause me any problem but while the heli was on the ground and I was in throttle hold I increased the collective a bit and the swach kinda danced about and up and down when I did it was scary to think about that with my bird in the air.... I had just brought the bird out into the heat from a cool house and set it down... It is the first time I remeber what I read about letting the heli sit in the temp you sill fly it at for a few before you fly with it.... Well when I took it out of throttle hold the prob didn't present itself and shortly after I nervously took off but had no problems... I flew out 4 packs on it today and it performed well the whole time though it did scare me at the beginning none of that showed up it when it was in the air....(thankfully)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default On the kds transmitter

Program the Aux channel to 70 or 75 on both a1 and a2. Have blue wire plugged in to the rx. That should get you up and running
ba
sytamra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 450 pro with FM

Hi everyone!
Here's another video with the Flymentorom Trex 450 PRO and a mini-camera.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93FTb4mP14[/ame]

Just to encourage all who are assembled FM in your helicopter, or think to do. I tried to throw out of balance, but FM is well kept and flattens heli as soon as I let bats.
I hope you enjoy the flight even though the image is slightly blurred due to vibrations, which have not yet succeeded in completely resolved! Video was taken this afternoon but date on my camera is not set.
Greeting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in