Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius CP drifting to left help.

Hi,
I recently bought a Genius CP (body only) and bound it with my Devo 8S. I set the pitch and throttle curves as stated in the genius cp manual. When I power up the heli it slides to the left and requires a lot of right aileron input it correct and is very difficult to hover. I am currently flying in 6 axis mode. I have checked the swash plate for being level and lowered the pitch curve to allow for a littel higher head speed as was stated in a forum here but still the same issue. I set up a Trex 450 from scratch using a guide on larger heli and it flue very stable, but this is my first FBL mini and the Devo 8S is much different then my last transmitter.

Also, I have read that there setup profiles for the Genius CP that can be downloaded and then installed in the Devo tx but I have not been able to find them on the Walkera website. I registered and looked under downloads and was still unable to find a setup profile.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.
decker25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 6-axis seems to be hit or miss with this receiver. I've got two genius cps and only one of them has a functioning 6-axis, even when they're both stock. A brushless setup can cause functionality issues with 6-axis because of the higher head speed and vibrations, but either way, it just doesn't work sometimes.

Fly it in 3-axis. It's a pretty stable bird to begin with, so you should have an easier time flying with that if you're having problems in 6-axis mode. If you've flown a flybarred 450, then you can definitely fly this fbl genius without having to use 6-axis. You'll be fine Don't psyche yourself out over it... You'll find that fbl machines are more stable than their flybarred cousins.
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try in 3 axis mode and let you know how it goes.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there. i'll seccond what Jon said. 6 axis is generally considered to be a gimic as it is very stable in 3 axis mode.

I've read on the forums that to get 6 axis working you need to set the rx level for when it is in the air. So as the heli naturally leans to the right you need to lean the RX to the left to compensate. This can be done by using a tie clip to pull the rx down into its foam on the left or put an extra piece of foam under the right side.

it sounds like you know what your doing with helis so I would say forget about 6 axis.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tried 3 axis mode and it was much better also it stopes the servo chatter that I noticed after I made my first post. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you got it working. If it's flying ok in 3-axis, just stick with that. It's pretty stable in either setting. The 6-axis is good if you're trying to learn how to do some general flight and you're a complete beginner, but 3-axis will do just about the same. All 6-axis does is keep the swashplate level pretty much at all times, so it will keep the bird more upright during forward flight and such. It's pretty similar to 3-axis while hovering though, although 6-axis does trim down the headspeed a tiny bit and the heli seems to be slightly less responsive.

How do you like your D02S? Have you flown it around yet? What kind of flying are you doing?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Glad you got it working. If it's flying ok in 3-axis, just stick with that. It's pretty stable in either setting. The 6-axis is good if you're trying to learn how to do some general flight and you're a complete beginner, but 3-axis will do just about the same. All 6-axis does is keep the swashplate level pretty much at all times, so it will keep the bird more upright during forward flight and such. It's pretty similar to 3-axis while hovering though, although 6-axis does trim down the headspeed a tiny bit and the heli seems to be slightly less responsive. <br />
<br />
How do you like your D02S? Have you flown it around yet? What kind of flying are you doing?"

I just got my v120D02S due to it getting lost in the mail. Just got it up today and it is very stable and a joy to fly. I just do basic flying because I just started a few months ago. I started off with a T Rex 450 that I built and was doing well till I got a little cocky and had a bad crash that resulted in me having to buy a complete new head, swash plate and tail assumably. So I got the 2 smaller heli so that the crashes are less costly and a quicker fix.

I find the D02S far more stable and easer to fly then the Genius CP. The 450 was even easer for me to get the hang of but the way I see it if I get these two down then my next flight with my 450 should be far less costly.

Last edited by decker25; 03-14-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you're getting it. Most important thing: have fun!

I love my D02s and my Genius. They're both a blast to fly, but the D02s does fly more stable and does 3d better. The Genius is twitchy at times, but that's ok with me because I don't usually hold it still anyway. You'll get used to them both, and hopefully you'll have a blast with your 450 next time you fly it. That's what I did, anyway. I bought a 450 right off the bat, crashed it, then repaired it and bought a micro heli. I got pretty good with those, and by the time I picked up my 450 again, I could fly it around pretty easily.

If you get good on your micros, you'll probably be even better on the bigger, more stable 450, especially when you start learning flips and such. These small walkeras are great little flying machines, but they simply can't compare to a larger, more professional bird.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius Flys to the left.

Hello,
I wonder if anybody might have a suggestion or might have seen this before.
Purchased one Genius from Wow hobbies back when they where first coming out.
It was a real lemon, It woudl always go left very hard. , After breaking to many parts i put it away and did not use it. I thought it was my radio setings etc.

I recently purchased a new Genius and setup the radio again, and it flys great!
Can use 6 axis mode or 3.

So I know my radio settings are correct now, so I copied those over to a second spot and tried to use the first genius.

I made sure swash plate is level at center sticks, what I notice is that the aileron servo starts moving down as soon as I start the motor, and just keeps moving down even if I hold the heli level.

Is this just a screwed up control board? Or could this be the servo? If I stop the motor the gyro seems to snap the swash plate level again.

I'll take some Video and post this.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bryon
bryont is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

One quick test you could make would be to swap servo connections and see if the problem follows the RX channel or the servo.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Byron, Your gyros aren't calibrated. I finally figured out how to solve this problem myself.

Unplug helicopter battery
Flip both rx'er dip switches to off (1&2)
Turn on tx'er
Place helicopter on level ground
Plug in battery and do not touch until it green binds
Unplug helicopter battery
Change dip 1 to on

Solved it for me. First time I've been able to fly in 3ax mode. I think I like it more than 6ax.
Now discovered my front servo is going out. I knew I should have added one to my last parts order. :-(

Last edited by larsdennert; 04-03-2012 at 01:51 PM..
larsdennert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried switching the Aileron and Elevator Servo leads and what happned was that the same thing happened wih the Elevator servo when switched.

(When switched: The Elevator servo now crept down ward when the throttle was applied)
Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also tried the steps listed to calibrate the gyros. Fo a moment I thought it had hellped because the heli did lift off a bit better but then went wacky just a few seconds later.

Tried calibrating again and also used a new piece of Foam tape which I also read could cause issues.

Same results.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What color is the bind light?
larsdennert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
genius cp, walkera devo 8s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in