Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Scott,

The pins in the tail pitch arms aren't roll pins per se. They will be a lot easier to work with. The roll pin in my kit was a super tight fit to the hole. Pliers wouldn't budge it, and besides I didn't want to mess up the pulley. And I don't have a vice. So I rigged up something and had to hit it with a full sized hammer pretty hard, nearly as hard a freakin' nail. After it was flush with the pulley I lined up a drift punch and had my father in-law whack it to get it evenly recessed with the other side. It was the first time in all my heli builds where I needed help from another person.

If I recall, the 6HV used a roll pin to hold the tail pulley. It was nowhere near the hassle as this one. In either case, it's done and I can proceed with the build.

Okay.. Let's just call them PITA pins. The tail pulley thing I called a spring pin. It sounds like a lot of folks are playing whack a hole!

The pins on mine were kind of easy once I figured out how to hold the pin in a pair of pliers then tap the pliers to just get the pin started. Holding the PITA pins with fingers was hopeless for me.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suppose not being able to imagine not having a bench vice or Arbor press is akin to me not being able to imagine not having a Mesa Boogie Mk IV or my JP6 BFR...

Scott

Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
I suppose not being able to imagine not having a bench vice or Arbor press is akin to me not being able to imagine not having a Mesa Boogie Mk IV or my JP6 BFR...

Scott
Considering the prices, it's much worse not to have a simple vise
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a vice, punches etc... Points being missed here, its a stupid way of doing it period. This is 2012, use damn setscrews and throw away the crap pins, that's my opinion, my tr hub Definetely took a beating and will work but it is not pretty at all lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I concur; my hub is now a little warped, though cosmetically not mangled since my vice has smooth clamping surfaces.

I like the set-screw idea. Indent the shaft in the same way as is done on the end where the tail-blade hub is attached (nice touch BTW, much better than the dreaded flat spot) and maybe even use a Delrin or Aluminum pulley.

I honestly thought I would never again see another rolled pin since I quit RC cars.

EDIT: BTW, Scott, lovely thread you got here man.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the tail shafts and pulleys will be assembled at the factory for now on in both the kits and for replacement parts
Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Starting the frame

Hey guys, guess what? I got my wife sick. So...I need to take care of her. I wish I could post more tonight, but I'm needed--and it's a good feeling to know that.

With that in mind, I have only a few steps today.

Bag 17 has the electronics tray and support.

Please note: Installation of the tray is directional: One side of the tray has countersunk drilled holes. The screws are countersunk as well. This was likely done to keep a flat surface. Do not over tighten the screws--remember, the hole is countersunk! Also, before you install this in your helicopter, be sure to lightly sand the edges using wet wet/dry sandpaper. If you don't want use wet, make sure you use a mask!

The top side of the electronics tray.

The underside of the electronics tray.

Bag 18 19 Contains bearings and the antirotation/main bearing mount.

Well need these later.

I chose MKS DS92A+ servos. I've been told they're essentially a plastic cased DS95, so I'm happy with my choice. Also shown bag 20.

Bag 20 contains the servo mount and associated hardware. If your servos have four mounting holes you'll want to use the plastic servo nuts. Note that they come in two sizes: 7 and 6mm wide. The bag also contains servo spacers. If you're using single hole servos you'll use the screws in bag 20, but....

You'll need the nylock nuts found in an unmarked bag.

There are plenty of nuts for this step. I only needed four.

I used a servo spacer on the outside of the servo. If I need it on the inside, I'll move it later.

I used a 4mm wrench to hold the nylock nut while I tightened the 1.5mm screw.

This is the completed aileron and pitch servo installation. I always try to get the servos rotating in the same plane. For this installation, I kept the screws barely tight and then pushed down on the servo in the mount while tightening the upper screw. It looks like they'll rotate in the same plane here.

My apologies again, folks. We'll get this kit done! I promise!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag 17.jpg
Views:	3824
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	371133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts in bag 17.jpg
Views:	3848
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	371134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Electronics tray Top.jpg
Views:	3785
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	371135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Electronics tray bottom.jpg
Views:	3823
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	371136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag 18 19.jpg
Views:	3818
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	371137  

Name:	Bag 18 19 contents.jpg
Views:	3779
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	371138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag 20 and Servos.jpg
Views:	3787
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	371139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag 20 contents.jpg
Views:	3869
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	371140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nylock nuts were in an unmarked bag.jpg
Views:	3790
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	371141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plenty of nuts I only need four this step.jpg
Views:	3776
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	371142  

Name:	Installing servos.jpg
Views:	3720
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	371143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Use a 4mm wrench or nut driver.jpg
Views:	3736
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	371144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Aileron and pich servo installation.jpg
Views:	3711
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	371145  

Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I used a servo spacer on the outside of the servo. If I need it on the inside, I'll move it later.
I can confirm this is OK ... just don't be like me and accidentally mount the servos on the wrong side of the mount or they won't clear the elevator servo! LOL!
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have pressed pins in on the old Knights, and the 7HV with both an arbor press and a vice.

It is very easy to do with the right tools.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
I can confirm this is OK ... just don't be like me and accidentally mount the servos on the wrong side of the mount or they won't clear the elevator servo! LOL!
LOL... I know what you mean. I make mistakes all the time. Like... uh.. trailing edge...

Scott

Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I have pressed pins in on the old Knights, and the 7HV with both an arbor press and a vice.

It is very easy to do with the right tools.
LOL! I found it easy to improvise with the wrong tools!

Scott

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW, on servos with just one hole on each side, you can still use the exact hardware shown in step 20. Simply use the center hole in the CF spacer, a single screw, and either one of the holes in the plastic servo nut. Works great (and is exactly what you do on the Rave 450, for example).
Audball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, you sure can. I just wanted to follow the manual. I will be skipping putting the arms on the servos until I set up the FBL unit.

Scott

Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep, you sure can. I just wanted to follow the manual. I will be skipping putting the arms on the servos until I set up the FBL unit.

Scott
Scott, center your elevator servo and put the arm on first with the delrin link if you can. Otherwise it's a pita unless you remove the motor assembly again.

Team Scorpion
Gawl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #75 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawl View Post
Scott, center your elevator servo and put the arm on first with the delrin link if you can. Otherwise it's a pita unless you remove the motor assembly again.

+1 on that

had to remove the motor assy here
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to say, as a fellow custom fabricator and builder. This thread and workmanship is outstanding! Compass picked the right guy to do this! And I am bloody hard to impress. Nicely done so far.

One thing I did pick out. If lots of guys are splitting the links on the grip to swash links. Quick UK makes a delrin version I have used on my own custom fabbed heads that is bulletproof. I just drill and tap them out to the right thread and install them. Never had one go bad yet. And the delrin stays slippery, and can handle lots of abuse before stretching out and getting sloppy. Just an option.

I do have one question? How smooth and tight is the swash so far guys? Mine wont hit till later this week. Maybe early next. I plan on custom fabbing a few upgrades on mine right off the start though.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on the Quick UK links, lucky I had some laying around.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
I have to say, as a fellow custom fabricator and builder. This thread and workmanship is outstanding! Compass picked the right guy to do this! And I am bloody hard to impress. Nicely done so far.

One thing I did pick out. If lots of guys are splitting the links on the grip to swash links. Quick UK makes a delrin version I have used on my own custom fabbed heads that is bulletproof. I just drill and tap them out to the right thread and install them. Never had one go bad yet. And the delrin stays slippery, and can handle lots of abuse before stretching out and getting sloppy. Just an option.

I do have one question? How smooth and tight is the swash so far guys? Mine wont hit till later this week. Maybe early next. I plan on custom fabbing a few upgrades on mine right off the start though.
Let me no if you come up with a better tail slider assembly as I would be interested!
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemech View Post
Let me no if you come up with a better tail slider assembly as I would be interested!
Steve
Been up all night sketching out a design and sourcing bearings and parts to pull it off. Should be interesting. I am trying to do this so no one has to custom cnc out any parts. Off the shelf stuff that can be mildly modded by anyone with some talent. I think most of us fit that mold here? This is an area where someone like KDE could come out and make a killing. In fact, one of their align upgrade kits isn't too far off.

I am also building a list of links where we can all buy ceramics throughout, but I am including thicker flanged versions. The thicker bearings will support the shafts more securely with less play and last much much longer. Especially on the tail shaft! Not only due to the bearings themselves but the wider races and tighter tolerances.

I want mine to come out fully modded/upgraded for its first flight. Jeff B. and I can compare Sk720 vibe logs since his will be an expertly built stock version. My last couple helis were running so vibe low the Sk720 wouldn't engage into flight mode. crazy. This heli has a far far better design to start with than those did. And Jeffs numbers will give me a really accurate baseline to compare with. I also have a new skid design using CF and CF tubes for the lower skids. The fact the factory sets are just clamped in there aren't building much confidence in me right now. Plus all my flights are on grass. So I want to spread out the contact patch just a little more.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you guys happen to have a part number for those delrin quick uk links that you are referring to?
syn90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in