Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK more vidoes posted....

Enjoy!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As always, great videos and EXCELLENT information Bob.

Your video on setup, tips and flight review provided answers to all of my questions in regards to making a purchasing decision.

I would still be in the Heli Dark Ages were it not for all of your videos/contributions to this community.

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whelp.. after seeing the video about the tail not holding well, I did remember seeing something on wowhobbies site, which is the extended boom:

HM-Genius CP-Z-0995: Custom Extended Tail Boom for Walkera Genius CP 1/4 inch longer than stock for extra tail authority

Cost is about 7 bucks, and its just the boom. Does not come with tail stand, which recently broke on mine again. Ended up using a zip tie to keep the tail a lil higher, and tight enough to stay, but if it gets knocked, it moves so its not something that will break off again.

Back to the tail boom. I know its too soon to ask, but anyone try that yet? Will it actually give you more tail authority, and is it worth 7 bucks?

Edit:

I'm kinda hesitant to even try since I know it does require in redoing the soldering connections for the tail motor.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #44 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK extending the tail boom is something many do on the MCPx to get a better tail hold. Yes it does help! However as I said in my video the new MCPx tail rotor blades on the Genius worked great! If I broke my tail boom on the genius, I would extend it also to get even better tail However until then it holds good enough with the new MCPx tail blades.

Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great Bob Nice to see both yourself and Tom Z are singing from the same song sheet, both of you are recommending limiting pitch so you can use linear curves.

When you were talking about send function in the model menu Video, it does not use a cable it is a radio send function so if you have a friend with a second radio you just send him the model setup and he just receives it

On that point Bob when you are talking to walkera it would be very cool if they did a utility for the devo's to copy setup files to PC that way we could backup and share our setup files

Regards David

Last edited by DocD; 10-20-2011 at 11:38 AM..
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

finless, thank you so much for all your vid, i injoy them.
now on this heli from your vid on it im going to get me one it sounds like a nice heli and im loven the radio even thow its only a 6ch.
i was thinking of getting the heli combo with the devo 8ch radio.

but anyway i just wanted to say thanks very much for your vids.
futaba 8fgs,,dx7,,phoenix v3.0r
400 flyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

this is great

thanks
Razors is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

Thanks for taking the time out to make these videos. I ordered my Genius with Devo 6 right when I heard you were gonna be doing a review on it and I'm really happy with my purchase. I've always heard somewhat negative comments regarding Walkera, but I can honestly say I was wrong about them after owning the Genius CP. I wanted to ask if you can maybe do a video on extending the working range of the Devo 6, so that we can use this radio with other larger Helis and even planes. Perhaps an antenna mod of some sort? I've read online that the Devo 6 only binds to the RX601 (which I think would be great to use in other models if the range permitted.) Also, it would be great if there was some way to accomodate mCPX batteries onto this bird.
Couchking is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post

1) I wanted to ask if you can maybe do a video on extending the working range of the Devo 6, so that we can use this radio with other larger Helis and even planes.

2) it would be great if there was some way to accomodate mCPX batteries onto this bird.
I know your question was pointed at Bob but let me help you out here.

answer for question number one, no one that I know of has actually range tested the Devo6 it may have the range you need already.......it may not. However, if you truly need more range then you should simply get the Devo 8 since that package doesn't cost much more than the one with the Devo 6.

question 2:

you CAN use mcpx batteries if you want just chop off the walkera connector from the rcvr and install a mcpx connector and then you will likely have to trim off the battery cage and place a piece of velcro under there to hold the battery, even with the longer batteries, because of the angle it looks like it would clear the maingear. But, I think it may make it difficult to install a battery with the canopy on.

a good alternative is to use the 1C Hyperion 240's....i'm using a brushless setup and these are great even for the brushless and if you are stock you would probably get nearly 7mins of flight with them.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html
pmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what you could do with Bob the new ultra durable canopy [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJnBsHD2pfM&feature=player_embedded#[/ame]!

Regards David
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
I know your question was pointed at Bob but let me help you out here.

answer for question number one, no one that I know of has actually range tested the Devo6 it may have the range you need already.......it may not. However, if you truly need more range then you should simply get the Devo 8 since that package doesn't cost much more than the one with the Devo 6.

question 2:

you CAN use mcpx batteries if you want just chop off the walkera connector from the rcvr and install a mcpx connector and then you will likely have to trim off the battery cage and place a piece of velcro under there to hold the battery, even with the longer batteries, because of the angle it looks like it would clear the maingear. But, I think it may make it difficult to install a battery with the canopy on.

a good alternative is to use the 1C Hyperion 240's....i'm using a brushless setup and these are great even for the brushless and if you are stock you would probably get nearly 7mins of flight with them.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html
Thanks for the reply. I went with the Devo 6 because I already have a full sized radio (turnigy 9x) which serves all my purposes, but I really prefer the small size and smooth feel of the sticks on my Devo 6. I read online somewhere that the Devo 6 is safe to use up to about 600 meters, but I would love to hear what you guys think about that before actually testing it out.

As for the batteries, I have some Zippy 240's and 350's on the way along with 6 nanotech mcpx lipos so I might end up rigging some sort of universal battery holder onto my genius once/if the skids break. The only problem I can see is the main gear being in the way so I was wondering if Bob has any solutions for battery mounting or if anyone else has come up with a more secure battery holder.
Couchking is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #52 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Actually I made an adapter cable and trimmed the front "wall" off the battery compartment on the Genius and run 300ma MCPx batts on the genius. It's an easy mod to make.

As for range and what not on the Devo6, I have had some issues with a lot of Spektrum radios on at my field and in fact was thinking the antenna could be longer. I have an E-flight replacement antenna and was thinking of modding it. So stay tuned I might actually do something with this. BUT... now that Walkera sent me the V120D0 and a Devo 7, I may just go with that and see.

Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #53 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

DocD, I also just got 2 of the new Genius 1 piece canopy's. The look real good as far as durability! I will be "crash" testing them when I get back home in a week

Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Actually I made an adapter cable and trimmed the front "wall" off the battery compartment on the Genius and run 300ma MCPx batts on the genius. It's an easy mod to make.

As for range and what not on the Devo6, I have had some issues with a lot of Spektrum radios on at my field and in fact was thinking the antenna could be longer. I have an E-flight replacement antenna and was thinking of modding it. So stay tuned I might actually do something with this. BUT... now that Walkera sent me the V120D0 and a Devo 7, I may just go with that and see.

Bob
Does antenna length really matter anymore? New Futaba radios don't even have external antennas. A good range test is to put an RX and servo in a big heavy pot with the lid on. You can then compare the Devo 6 range to say your DX8's range. However, your Genius would have to go in the pot because I doubt you have an external Walkera RX. To see more on this test, go to the channel nightflyyer on YouTube and look for his Orange RX video. Have fun with the "devil" 7. Looking forward to the V120D02S videos.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
Does antenna length really matter anymore? New Futaba radios don't even have external antennas. A good range test is to put an RX and servo in a big heavy pot with the lid on. You can then compare the Devo 6 range to say your DX8's range. However, your Genius would have to go in the pot because I doubt you have an external Walkera RX. To see more on this test, go to the channel nightflyyer on YouTube and look for his Orange RX video. Have fun with the "devil" 7. Looking forward to the V120D02S videos.
Yes dont forget the incense and holy water would hate to have another devil worshiper

Regards David
Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
Yes dont forget the incense and holy water would hate to have another devil worshiper

Regards David

Radios and 2.4 is no longer ROCKET SCIENCE.... It's all about having fun and enjoying the hobby. WOW how things have changed from 5 years ago. Please realize how far this hobby has come so we all can enjoy it much easier!

Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

Radios and 2.4 is no longer ROCKET SCIENCE.... It's all about having fun and enjoying the hobby. WOW how things have changed from 5 years ago. Please realize how far this hobby has come so we all can enjoy it much easier!

Bob
Just teasing my friend, my take on the devil 7 is its a good radio but with a poor user interface BY Todays Standards, I will be interested to hear your take on it, could well end up the marmite of radios loved by some hated by others but everybody has a opinion.

I still have my old futaba 6EX which uses a similar interface so even your 5 years is generous

Regards David
Old 10-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Antenna length for 2.4 is imporant, but longer is not better. The antenna needs to be the correct length for the frequency.
ncostes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncostes View Post
Antenna length for 2.4 is imporant, but longer is not better. The antenna needs to be the correct length for the frequency.
That's how I understand it.

I think the only real problem, is what can deflect or reflect the signal that the rx needs. And that would include electronic interference.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #60 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Whats important for most 2.4 radios is that the end of the antenna is not pointing at the RX. Antenna radiate out the sides not out the tip. The devo6 does this as you cannot bend it 90 degrees. That worried me a little on range so I doubt I would use it on anything other than a micro like the Genius as I simply would worry about it.

Bob

Last edited by Finless; 10-22-2011 at 01:49 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in