Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default what to choose, what to choose?

so i just got a F550 with Naza and GPS.. now i wanna look for a cam,tx/rx not sure how im going to view it yet i have a ipad and computer tho im looking at the Fatsharks..

I've seen some of them from fox.. and some from heli hobby and stuff.. not gonna lie i have no idea what the 5.8 and 2.4 and all that means i know they are frequencies but transmitter strength and distance.. what will interfere with my DSM2 Signal or what.

Ill have a Gopro 3 eventually for recording so I'm just interested in FPV now..

so whats the best method.. i think the Fatshark would end the end be the best method blocks the sunlight and you see the screen.. but what happens if you need to switch to external view? like if you need to see around your craft and the cam isn't picking it up? i know the go pro can Wifi to a iPad using the app but im sure that limited on distance.. so can some of you guys help me? just looking for a 720 or so i know the fatshark cant do HD so no since in paying for a HD the recording will be HD. but as for my eyes and guiding the craft idc. only two options i need are 500-1000m or so.. and viewable but not hd.. and not a huge Camera.. and an add on for OSD... i know it wont be cheep but.. what are you guys thinking? cause im gonna be honest i look at them on the screen read the specs and then look at the next and read the spec and nothing compares to the other in my mind.. they all seem equal. but i dont wanna buy something that wont be good because it says "its the best cam around!" please help me out..
nuttzzy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

All of the frequencies used to transmit video require an amateur radio operator license, so you'll need a HAM license to do anything first.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What class do we have to apply or test on. Can you post a link for us.

Thanks
anhquan1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhquan1 View Post
What class do we have to apply or test on. Can you post a link for us.

Thanks
Not sure I understand the question, but I think this is what you want.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Become_a_Ham_Radio_Operator
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the link.

I plan on using EZ UHF setup, what should I take a test on: Technician Class, General Classor Amateur Extra.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found your answer from another thread. Thank you.

Sorry Nuttzzy for hijack your thread.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

haha no problem..
nuttzzy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The technician class is the one you need which is element 2. I joined this to study from.

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/login.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Small question to clear up my understanding/confusion.

sl4ppy....I checked the site on your post which has a lot of info but doesn't seem very clear on what is needed for FPV. The technician class is the basic but list the transmitting range 30 MHz or less.

The FPV equipment I'm looking at is the 900 MHz system.
Brian4301 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4301 View Post
Small question to clear up my understanding/confusion.

sl4ppy....I checked the site on your post which has a lot of info but doesn't seem very clear on what is needed for FPV. The technician class is the basic but list the transmitting range 30 MHz or less.

The FPV equipment I'm looking at is the 900 MHz system.
Technician class is the basic licensing and is good to cover you for all the available FPV frequencies.

Under some circumstances, you can use 900mhz without a license (cell phones are on 900, for example), but you'll probably want to get you license so you can go further than a few hundred yards with a UHF control system.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info. Time to hit the books.
Brian4301 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't take this the wrong way, and I think it is great you are getting a HAM License but technically you don't need a HAM License for all frequencies in the 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz ranges. Some frequencies are still unlicensed at 500mw transmitting power and typically that is were manufactures try to stay around but it really depends on the power of your transmitter. I have been researching FPV and have some equipment picked out but while I was in the process I considered going with 1.2/1.3 GHz but Fat shark did not have any modules for that range so I settled on 5,8 for my video tx. I would suggest 5.8Ghz if you are running 2.4GHz on your radio. a lot of people say it has no range but with the right antennas it is fine and it will out last your flight radio transmitter. 5.8 GHz also has more bandwidth and if you are looking more for a more realistic clear picture 5.8 is the best option. Personally I have decided on a Fat Shark set up because I want a simplistic set up. I didn't want to have to set up a tripod every time I fly but I still wanted the goggles for the realist aspect. Also just remembered some before saying cell phones are in the 900Mhz range and I don't think that is true, awhile back I go to play with a very expensive spectrum analyzer and my phone was at 2.10GHz, it is possible some of the older phones are in 900MHz range but again pones today need more bandwidth so they have been moving up the spectrum.
thielecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielecg View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, and I think it is great you are getting a HAM License but technically you don't need a HAM License for all frequencies in the 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz ranges. Some frequencies are still unlicensed at 500mw transmitting power and typically that is were manufactures try to stay around but it really depends on the power of your transmitter. I have been researching FPV and have some equipment picked out but while I was in the process I considered going with 1.2/1.3 GHz but Fat shark did not have any modules for that range so I settled on 5,8 for my video tx. I would suggest 5.8Ghz if you are running 2.4GHz on your radio. a lot of people say it has no range but with the right antennas it is fine and it will out last your flight radio transmitter. 5.8 GHz also has more bandwidth and if you are looking more for a more realistic clear picture 5.8 is the best option. Personally I have decided on a Fat Shark set up because I want a simplistic set up. I didn't want to have to set up a tripod every time I fly but I still wanted the goggles for the realist aspect. Also just remembered some before saying cell phones are in the 900Mhz range and I don't think that is true, awhile back I go to play with a very expensive spectrum analyzer and my phone was at 2.10GHz, it is possible some of the older phones are in 900MHz range but again pones today need more bandwidth so they have been moving up the spectrum.

What is your source for saying you don't need a license? This is the tx that I have..
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=266
It is a 600mw 5.8ghz and I would love to not have to get the license, but every thing I have read says that I must get it. So if you have something legitimate that I can print out and carry with me, then I will not have to worry about it.

I have grounded myself because I don't have the license yet, so this would be great news.

Thanks,
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlharv View Post
What is your source for saying you don't need a license? This is the tx that I have..
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=266
It is a 600mw 5.8ghz and I would love to not have to get the license, but every thing I have read says that I must get it. So if you have something legitimate that I can print out and carry with me, then I will not have to worry about it.

I have grounded myself because I don't have the license yet, so this would be great news.

Thanks,

I too have been searching for these answers and I did find under the FCC part 15 rules about the 1 watt with 5.8 Ghz. 15.407 If I am reading it right. I have just decided to get it to be covered. It only took about 5 night of studying and Im going to take the test this week.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

can you take the test online or do you have to go somewhere to take it?
iceman320 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You have to go somewhere.
jlharv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielecg View Post
There is a lot of inaccurate info in your post here. HAM rules can be complicated, heck I've got my HAM and I could not find specific links to what I was trying to find... But it boils down to this; If there is a transmitter that can be operated legally within the US without a HAM licence it would be certified under the FCC's part 15 rules. Any product under part 15 must be certified by the FCC, and in the case of transmitters that certification includes the antenna. Being able to buy a video transmitter with a user accesible antenna connector that allows easy antenna changes will mean it does not comply with part 15. In the case of 5.8GHz you absolutely need a HAM licence, you might have seen some rules pertaining to digital 5.8GHz transmissions, but most of the unlicenced products you can by are between 1-10 mw...

In a nutshell- If it does not have a PART 15 FCC sticker on the transmitter, you need your HAM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in