Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default TP-610C Quick Start Guide

Attached is a draft quick start guide for the Thunder Power TP-610C. I would appreciate feedback / comments.

It is designed primarily for users that are not familiar with multi-mode chargers.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TP610C quick start.pdf (804.9 KB, 4231 views)

Last edited by marchambault; 04-08-2008 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: more additions to pdf
marchambault is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks again Marc!

That was significantly more help than their manual. That made the whole charger and its operation much easier for newbies to understand. Clear and concise!

Thanks Marc

DH
dhend25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Hi Marchambault,

I have just received a 610c, and have made up a lead banana/deans which is working well. Your quick start guide is great for a newbie like me, thanks a lot! A couple of questions..

1) I see the maximum charge rate for 3 cells is 8 amps. Are there any disadvantages with using 8 amps, and if so what is the 'best' current to use?

2) If I need to store my LiPo's for a month or so, what is the optimal regime for doing this?

3) I have 3 new 2200maH 3 cell TP extreme V2 packs. What is the best method of conditioning them from new?

Thanks
Tobe
tobeornottobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeornottobe View Post
1) Are there any disadvantages with using 8 amps, and if so what is the 'best' current to use?
For what type of chemistry? For LiPos, most manufacturers recommend the "1C" rate, ie: 1 x the capacity of the lipo. Charge a 2100mah LiPo @ 2.1 Amps, charge 800 mah LiPo @ 0.8 Amps. Charging at 2C rate reduces life expectancy, although it can be done.

For NiMh/NiCd, refer to the QSGuide or the battery manufacturer's information.

Quote:
2) If I need to store my LiPo's for a month or so, what is the optimal regime for doing this?
Use the storage mode (Hold down SEL/MODE for 2 seconds, select LIPO, press SEL/MODE once and select "50% Storage".

Quote:
3) I have 3 new 2200maH 3 cell TP extreme V2 packs. What is the best method of conditioning them from new?
Use it in your heli gently... avoid using it at max continuous C for the first 2-3 flights.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. Good stuff. So if I charge a 2200maH Li Po at 2.2 amps it is optimal, and if I exceed this it will reduce the life. All is clear, thanks

Tobe
tobeornottobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhend25 View Post
Thanks again Marc!

That was significantly more help than their manual. That made the whole charger and its operation much easier for newbies to understand. Clear and concise!

Thanks Marc

DH
+1, Thank you.
Why couldn't TP do that?
BorderColliesRule is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 13.8 v, 7amps DC power - Will 7amps sufficient enough to use with TP-610C charging MaxAmps Lipo 8000HV 2S2P 7.4V Pack? Please help me understand the Power Supply Amperage requirement for changing.

Thank you,

ls0a1509
ls0a1509 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By definition, 1 Watt = 1 Volt x 1 Amp

Thus your power supply (PS) produces a max of: 13.8V x7A = 96.6 A

The TP 610 is an 80 Watt charger. Assuming 90% efficiency, 80 Watts output would require: 80W x 100/90 = 89W

So I'd say you're in good shape with that PS.

80 W / 8.4V = 9.5 Amps .. is the max current the charger will supply when your Lipo is fully charged, so don't be surprised if you see the charging amps rolling back as the pack nears a full charge.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just bought a Ripmax ps that has 2 outputs and a digital readout on front. I noticed that whatever amps I'm charging at the supply shows. 1 charger and a TP2100 and it shows 2.1amps. 2 chargers and two TP2100s and it will show 4.2amps max, it shows less when the chargers get close to completion. The kid at the hobby shop said the chargers would consume about 1 amp. That dosen't seem to be the case.
BorderColliesRule is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Marc,

Thanks for the "lay-man" instruction. I've the TP610C V5.0 charger/balancer combo and I bought a TP6P4E adaptor to charge 2 3s packs. According to the instruction on page 3 of the instruction (TP-210 LiPo Balancer), to charge and to balance 2 3s packs, I need to connect the two batteries using a Y-series connector and to identify one of the two batteries as "group A."

Next, I need to connect the balancer connector of the group A battery to the TP6P4E and then connect the TP64E to the 6-pin slot on the balancer and to connect group B balancer connector to the 2-3s on the TP610C-BL2. Is this correct as the instruction is silent as to group B balancer connector. TIA.
BenHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's correct. The important thing here is the keep the polarities in sync on both the charger output and the balancer, otherwise the balancer will fry...

I really hate to write this out here, as

a) I don't think it's a good idea
b) I've never tried it
c) somebody's going to mess this up and destroy a perfectly good charger
d) Manufacturers recommend purchasing 2 packs of equal resistance (how can we measure this??), always discharging them together and always charging them together ... essentially: pull out a roll of tape.

So ..

Read this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=68755

Charger negative output, goes to group A Lipo
Charger positive output, goes to group B Lipo
4 pin header: group A Lipo balancing tap
6 pin header: into adapter, then into group B Lipo balancing tap

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TP610-2x3s.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	49459  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. I'll set the charger to 6s with max charge current to 4 Amps and an electric fire extinguisher on hand.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A metal bucket filled with dry sand ... a standard ABC fire extinguisher won't do a thing for a Lipo fire. Water would make things worst...

Your best defense is a bucket of sand. Otherwise, if I remember correctly from my last fire safety class, you could also use a class "D" fire extinguisher, for combustible metals. I'm guessing $400 + ... I'll stick with my bucket of sand
Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Am steps away from the beach/sand and may be I should just run an extension cord down to the beach. LOL. Thanks for the help. I've just successfully charged two 3s packs and currently charging the second set of 2 3s packs.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

LoL

You've heard of "Find Waldo", how about "Find the TP_610"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tp610_beach.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	49468  
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchambault View Post
LoL

You've heard of "Find Waldo", how about "Find the TP_610"?
I found it. First impression of the TP610 - good charger for the price but in need of an internal fan to cool it down.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all,

I just purchased a TP-610C charger and 12 volt 20 amp power supply today. My question is I am trying to charge a Flightpower EvoLite V2 7.2v 800mAH 2S Lipo battery. Will I need a cable for the output of the charger that goes from banana to JST female to charge this battery? I know that I will use the balance connections to the BL-2 adapter. I have an Eflight charger that came with a heli kit that is a balance charger that charges through the balance connector. I take with the TP charger that I will need a cable from the output of the charger to the battery discharge connector.

Am I correct?

Thanks for any info provided....

Phasor
Phasor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are correct. The charger will charge through the batteries "discharge" connector, while the balancer balances through the balance taps. If you have 4mm bullet connectors on hand they are a suitable replacement to banana plugs.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

marchambault......

Thanks for the info! I am a new to this but this place offers a wealth of information. Thanks again

Phasor
Phasor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

had a question but started my own thread....

Last edited by Sircrashalott; 06-14-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Sircrashalott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in