Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default lipo comparison 3000/20c/Zippy VS 4000/15c/WinForce

I just bought these 4000mAh 15C WinForce batteries from Ebay. I will fly them tomorrow and post results. I'm expecting close to 9 min flight times. I get around 6 min flight times with the 3000mAh 20C Flightmax (zippy) batteries. Above is a picture showing the difference in size of the two batteries...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yeah... umm.... well.... don't expect to much out of those packs... they're only 15c.. and depending on the motor you have, you could puff that thing REAL quick (Stock Gaui motor will eat it alive) you really need to stick with at a bare minimum 20C... 25-35c would even be better.

if you can get them to fit under the canopy, and balance the heli...then give it a shot.. but like I said... take it easy on it and check the temps before and after the flight...
mysticmead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

4000 mah @ 15c should be able to provide 60 amps.

3000 mah @ 20c also provides 60 amps....."Theoretically" the 4000's should be OK....

But still take it easy on the first several flights to break them in.

Two retired Gaui 550 hurricanes (Sold)
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

key words there... "should" if the motor gets hungry enough, although it "should" be able to provide the juice, it "might" get hot doing it...

personally, if it was me.. I'd buy 2 or 3 of the Hyperion VX 3300 packs... that should last a good long time... and at 35C they can provide more power that the heli will know what to do with... then turn around and charge them at 5c
mysticmead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmead View Post

personally, if it was me.. I'd buy 2 or 3 of the Hyperion VX 3300 packs... that should last a good long time... and at 35C they can provide more power that the heli will know what to do with... then turn around and charge them at 5c
Now THAT I agree with.....if they are available. But just don't spend big bucks on lipos....there are too many out there that work well.

I have a couple of sets of Polyquest 3200 30 c and they were like 130 baloneys each !! my $49 zippy's work just as well. Now I'm no 3d guy so I'm sure a "purest" would be able to tell the difference.....

You also need to take in the extra weight on thos 4000's.....mah don't come free....

Two retired Gaui 550 hurricanes (Sold)
mjdee14 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the advice I am leaving to fly them now. I will post detailed results in a few hours. Pwr/Heat/Flight times/etc.....
Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The winner in my opinion by far is the 3000mAh 20C zippy lipo's.

The first dislike with the 4000mAh 15C winforce lipo's is the fit. I have a Fusono canopy which is slightly larger than the stock canopy and had a hard time mounting it.

PWR theoretically should of been the same but I believe the 15C rating was a peak rating. The winforce lacked sufficient power for 3D flight.

The Heat. The winforce batteries did get warm, boderline from me being concerned about it. I definately have to take it easy flying with these batteries so they won't overheat and puff...

On the plus side I did get an extra 2 min of flight time with these, about 8 min total. But if I took it easy with the zippys, it may be possible to come close to those flight times.

*** During flight I could not tell any difference in weight. Weight is not an issue...

My recomendation, do not buy these batteries for a Gaui 550. They don't work well. Winforce does have a 3000mAh 35C lipo that works well but the zippys are still a little better in quality and performance.

Last edited by razeyoshi; 05-30-2009 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: ***
razeyoshi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the review raze! that's something that people can definitely benefit from! do a couple more and we'll have a sticky on our hands
bobbybe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in