Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great videos as always, Bob. I just bought my mCPx yesterday, and it is quite the challenge to get it to hover. But, it is a lot of fun and economical to fix when crashed.
kramerr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Will someone direct me to the James Hadley videos Bob refers to in some of the mcpx videos? Thanks!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
kingair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think he might be referring to the videos on the supplied DVD.

I opened my DX4 last night. I was quite surprised. There were 5 extra holes for switches molded in the case. You can see three of them from the outside with little plugs in them.

Well I moved my TH button over to the right hand side. Easiest thing ever. Undo the nut, pull the switch, move the plug from the right to left side, then install the switch. No need to mess around with the wiring. There is more than enough slack in the wiring for any of the switches that you could move them anywhere. You just need to lift off the circuit board to reroute them if you are moving left/right. No soldering at all. Just a dab of hot glue. For the finishing touch, I carefully lifted that TH/Bind label off and moved it to the right side also. The adhesive stayed with the label. Now it looks like it came that way from the factory.

As shown in Bob's videos, I also eliminated the ratchet effect and adjusted the spring tensions while it was open.

If you are going to travel a lot, having the mCP X with the DX4 and all the accessories in one box is very convenient. (If you flip the box inside out, it becomes a plain brown wrapper.) My only negative about the DX4 is that the curves and rates are not adjustable. Not a big deal once you get used to the mCP X.

Thank you Bob,
Joe

ps: When you open the case, note which way is forward on the antenna. There is a square tab that gets keyed forward.
To me, this forum is about the love of flying R/C helicopters. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of heli, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Respect one another, Try to pass on accurate information. Fly safe.
AverageJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I also moved the idle up switch from the left front to the left top where the hold switch was before I too moved it to the right side.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bob for this guide its really helpful!
Dr.Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome videos Bob. I was laughing histerically as the guys at the field who were looking for links or lost parts. I was telling people on youtube a few weeks back to buy bags and bags of them if your going to fly them outside. They need to make them a nice neon color so you can see the darn things
Sundown798 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I just tested a fix this weekend to loosing the links. I just used a TINY dab of hot glue across the forks. WORKED GREAT! Had many crashes and links popped off but I did not loose them. I plan to do an update video showing tips like this soon.

Bob
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I just tested a fix this weekend to loosing the links. I just used a TINY dab of hot glue across the forks. WORKED GREAT! Had many crashes and links popped off but I did not loose them. I plan to do an update video showing tips like this soon.

Bob
Simple minds, simple fix.

That's great Bob, thanks for the idea,,,,,,,and right after I just got a bag of links for my LHS.

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi bob,

I've always enjoyed your video, It's awesome..

How about a vid on how you get this little devil's zero pitch at mid stick and stuff..

Cheers
quester
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by questerng View Post
Hi bob,

I've always enjoyed your video, It's awesome..

How about a vid on how you get this little devil's zero pitch at mid stick and stuff..

Cheers
quester
Yep... it's in the plan. Certainly not hard but I know new folks could use the help.

Bob
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Bob

I just going to get my gluegun great idea.

Thanks Bob, great vids as always, and even though I don't consider myself a beginner I still check out the basic set vids as there is always a better way of doing it..

/Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pitch link and Swash tips

Seeing the guys on the vid searching for the pitch links had me in stitches - lol

A saw a tip the other day to prevent this problem, I used it on my mcpx and it works very well. Just get an elastic band, cut a hole in the middle, thread it over the main shaft, put a small hole each end and thread the pitch links through the holes, hey presto, no more lost links.... see the pic below:

Also, I don't know about your side of the pond, but getting hold of a new swash is difficult. I recently broke off the elevator ball on the swash, so it has now been "repaired" see series of pics below - works very well.

Used a round head pin:

Hand drilled with 0.8mm drill:

Compared to pin size

Snipped the pin short and fed it through the hole:

Glued in place:

Worked very well, but the pin head was a bit small so added some elastic to secure:

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swash10.jpg
Views:	4270
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	218832   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash1.jpg
Views:	4199
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	218833   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash2.jpg
Views:	4204
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	218834   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash3.jpg
Views:	4229
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	218835   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash4.jpg
Views:	4212
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	218836  

Click image for larger version

Name:	swash5.jpg
Views:	4189
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	218837   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash6.jpg
Views:	4229
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	218838   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash7.jpg
Views:	4178
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	218839   Click image for larger version

Name:	swash9.jpg
Views:	4188
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	218840  
rdlohr likes this.
Asomaro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PRICELESS!

Thank you Bob for your videos, I just got my mCP X today and was not able to get it to fly, kept flipping on it's side. I was sure I had a bad heli but found your videos and re-binded the transmitter to the heli and off it went... I love it! but you are PRICELESS and thank you again for the videos and the assist....
James.W is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep... it's in the plan. Certainly not hard but I know new folks could use the help.

Bob
A video on how to get 0 pitch at 0% stick wold be great too, mine's in negative pitch up to 50% stick regardless of act/aux on the DX4e.

A smooth throttling up way would make me much more comfortable with this bird.
I already turned the servo links 4 times without much improvement. I'm afraid that if I'll go further they might come off after a crash.
vadimpelau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

The open barrel of a "bic" type pen makes a handy tool for pressing on the main gear. I noticed that the slot (in the main gear) and the screw heads (on the collar and rotor head) all line up with the flat spot. That makes it easy to check if the main gear slipped a little and needs to be indexed and pressed. Being off by just a little has a noticeable effect on pitch.

Lost links? Not anymore. Your idea works great. Thanks Bob.
To me, this forum is about the love of flying R/C helicopters. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of heli, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Respect one another, Try to pass on accurate information. Fly safe.
AverageJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Any videos for the other flight modes?

Hello,

Are there any videos and/or instructions on how to use the other flight modes for the MCPX? I just got mine and have tried one flight in the "normal mode", but I am interested in how to use the other modes. I am just concerned over simply just changing the flight mode switch to another mode and have the copter take off like a rocket and drill itself into the ceiling.
I am assuming the the other modes allow the rotor/head speed to be at a constant rate and the upward and/or downward motion of the copter is done by using the variable pitch of the rotors.

Regards,

Dave
lucky_dog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope this as not been mentioned above but Bob seems to bind different from the manual.
I am sure i read it that you have to lower the throttle trim fully to bind,i could be wrong.
I did mine like that and it never seemed right.I have just seen this thread and i am going to bind with trim centred.
IMPACT CRATER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
A smooth throttling up way would make me much more comfortable with this bird.
Just use the built-in soft start that's not mentioned in the manual. Turn on throttle hold, power up the heli, set throttle stick to 50%, turn off throttle hold. The thing will wind up smooth on it's own.
learjet3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I meant was having the positive pitch curve starting at 5-10% stick.

That is a lot more space to find a comfortable hoovering altitude.
vadimpelau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

It's not possible to do that with the DX4e as it doesnt have curves that are adjustable.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in