Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > KDS Multirotor Support > Spyder Multirotor Support

Spyder Multirotor Support Spyder Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks TommyBear. I will be paying close attention to my battery life. At the maiden flight on the 5000 battery the Spyder was flown 8 minutes and still had over half life left on the battery. I am going to practice on the simulator if I can find a good model to simulate the same kind of flying.
Almondsaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #82 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default Sky Hero Spyder 700 Kit build

No need for a Sim David,

Flying the model on GPS mode is the same as any simulator.

Take off on GPS or Atti mode, fly high and when it's not windy, switch to Manual mode.

Just make sure when you do fly on Manual, your sticks movements should be slow and avoid rapid change in direction.

Good skills in manual flying and knowing how a model behave will allow you to save the model when the Naza plays up.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will do just that then, thanks Lynh.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
Congrats on the flying quad!

I have that same battery, usually I place it a little more to the rear of the quad but it seems it's spot on where you have it. You''ll be flying a good 10 mins with it and not enter into failsafe.

What voltage you configure them in the Assistant?

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
JPSika is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Juan:

Thank you, I will check in the NM Assistant. Bit of a pain because I am an Apple person - I have a dual boot system so I can run the assistant. Will check and let you know. The LIPO is one thing I need to learn about - understanding the voltage and how much to drain, etc.

I was wondering if there are any other rotor blades that can be used on the Spyder that don't cost $69/pair?

David
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
As I broke the props when configuring my Quad, I didn't want to pay that amount of money, so I bought these and they have been working incredibly well, I bought 4 pairs. They are made of pure Carbon Fiber. Instead of the 13" x 6.5, these are 13" x 5.5 and work great.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=51970

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Juan: did the 1degree change in pitch make any noticeable difference in the quad? I was even looking into the wood blades, have you ever tried those on a quad?

One more question (for the moment) when my Spyder lifts off it tends to lean forward, so when I take off i use throttle and lean the craft back and then I am up without incident. I shouldn't have to just "pop up" into the air. Any ideas on what could be the cause, I know that the battery is as far back as possible - but not perfect CG by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
The 1 degree doesn't affect me too much, I have been flying over 100M altitude without any problems gaining that height, also, going forward and moving around seems to do it swiftly, you should get a couple of pairs (2 CCW + 2 CW) as they are really cheap.

My quad also goes a little forward when lifting it, I prefer it for it to do this so it doesn't go against myself when taking off. I will be posting a video of my FPV today, hope you can watch it, I was flying with winds up to 16mph the quad kept nicely.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you post it...I will look forward to watching it. Do you like the system you chose for your FPV? After I get comfortable with the flying of the Spyder, then I will go to FPV as my next step.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, just uploaded couple of videos to my thread, I was watching them over again and it shows that the quad actually goes forward during take off, maybe you can compare if the same movement is happening with yours.

All my FPV Equipment I bought it on Readymaderc.com, they have great combos, what I chose and recommend is systems compatible or running with Fatshark or ImmersionRC technology, I chose 5.8Ghz with 600Mw Tx and a Uno5800 Rx, for goggle I chose Zeiss Cinemizer as I use glasses and these can be set from -5 to +2 each eye individually and continuously.

When you decide for the FPV equipment send me a PM, I can share you my list of things I have bought and some tips given by some members here.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Juan. I am going over to your thread to see your video uploads. I will let you know when I get to the FPV point - still on training wheels (GPS) now.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSika View Post
David,
Congrats on the flying quad!

I have that same battery, usually I place it a little more to the rear of the quad but it seems it's spot on where you have it. You''ll be flying a good 10 mins with it and not enter into failsafe.

What voltage you configure them in the Assistant?
So I have some work to do with the battery. Based on my setting in the Naza M Assitance and MC, the quad did its 2nd level safeguard by landing - I still have 59% battery left. The following summarizes my settings in the Assistant.

No Load: 23.01v Loss 0.30v Loaded 22.80v [Safeguard LED WARN]
No Load: 22.20v Loss 0.30v Loaded 21.90v [Safeguard LAND]

Calibration is for 23.3v for a 6S LIPO

Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sky Hero Blades

So after my little incident on my first flight (not the one at the shop) I decided to replace the from blades. When I pulled them out of the bag I noted a few surface imperfections attributable to workmanship. Instead of going through the hassle of going back to SH and shipping blades back, I am going to use them to learn on and then replace them with the T-Motor 13x5 CF blades. They are supposed to be high quality and factory balanced. Can't hurt to try a set and then go to the next step if needed. They are certainly less expensive than the SH blades.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
Let me check my battery setting how I have them tonight when I get back home.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #95 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondsaz View Post
So I have some work to do with the battery. Based on my setting in the Naza M Assitance and MC, the quad did its 2nd level safeguard by landing - I still have 59% battery left. The following summarizes my settings in the Assistant.

No Load: 23.01v Loss 0.30v Loaded 22.80v [Safeguard LED WARN]

No Load: 22.20v Loss 0.30v Loaded 21.90v [Safeguard LAND]

Calibration is for 23.3v for a 6S LIPO

Any suggestions?

Do not use the Naza batt safeguard system to land your Quad.

Program it to warn via LED only and not the safeguard Land. Use your Transmitter timer for flight duration monitoring.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

What sort of time should I be looking for on a 5000 22.2v 6S 35C battery?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #97 (permalink)
HF MR Support

David,

Fly with everything attached and operating and start from 6 min and land and check your battery percentage remaining.

You should aim to land at 20% remaining in order to protect your battery.

Increase flight time incrementally and aim to approach the 20% mark.

Dji battery protection and land function is very conservative and will force land your quad even at 40% remaining and this is dangerous as it may still be far away from you or over water etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a TM1100 and I was going to install the it to the power leads so I could get an accurate read of the battery during flight on my transmitter. Do I still need to land after 6 min to check it, or is the telemetry considered accurate?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

David, I use something similar to monitor battery's life, I usually end up after 9 mins of flight with 3.8V on each cell, I think I can go lower than that for an overall of 10 mins of flight.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #100 (permalink)
HF MR Support

David,

I believe the telemetry should be accurate enough to trust.
Once you've established the flight duration benchmark, set your timer 30 sec less than actual and this allow you a battery reserve to land and cover for different flight conditions.

On a side note, why was there a sudden price hike on the Spyder 700 combo ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in