Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
Got any vids of the HC doing its stuff??
I did a video last weekend of it doing hard 3d death spirals and pulling out of funnels near the ground etc, but the video quality was crap so ill try again this weekend. No good videos showing how hard you can fly it out there. Just simple flip over type vids.

That video of the hc3sx wiggling out I'm guessing his Heli has an extremely bad vibration. And not the kind the skookum considers extreme something far worst.

My canopy came off once and started flapping against the frame causing a very bad vibration the hc3sx still worked saved my heli but i noticed it pitch forward and right a few degrees. Landed saw the canopy flapping against the frame. Every other time hit bailout nothing but a perfect level and climb.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

O.k, so it save's helis, but what does it fly like and what about the old helicommand wishy washy tail?

My bro had a heli command on his heli, the one that looks at the ground and the tail was worse than a align gp780

I'd like to try one of these units to see for myself as the skookums fly like nothing else, fully locked in and the tails just out of this world.

Any 3D pilots using it??
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah the hc3sx tail hold is one of its strongest features of this unit and many who fly both say it flys similar to a VBar in the feel.

If skookum add in auto climb I'd probably even try the new black 720, just to try out the governor mostly. I've read a lot of skookum users say the tail on the skookums are the best they've ever flown as well so must be good.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuka View Post
Yeah the hc3sx tail hold is one of its strongest features of this unit and many who fly both say it flys similar to a VBar in the feel.

If skookum add in auto climb I'd probably even try the new black 720, just to try out the governor mostly. I've read a lot of skookum users say the tail on the skookums are the best they've ever flown as well so must be good.
I would agree on the sk's tail authority, I have three 720's and the tails were all perfect after setup no adjustments needed. As for compairing the way the sk flies to the hc3sx, they both fly very good it is a matter of tuning to get the most out of either one.
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
This technology is new to 3D helicopters and I’m sure in a few years that there will be many on the market at $200 or less. I remember when flybarless controllers first came out – they were very expensive, not very good, and only a couple of manufacturers. GPS will go the same way.

I fly the APM2 with airplanes and multi-rotor and it has excellent GPS with many more features than Skookum. It’s too slow for 3D and not a flybarless controller but it’s only $200 and you don’t have to pay extra for the advanced PC software.

Those GPS modules are in the $35 to $75 range so Skookum is really charging most of that money for firmware. That’s like the iPhome 5 – I only costs $8.00 for the hardware and you are really paying for the firmware.
As a FBL controller it's going in the right direction. Not enough heli developers actively working on it compared to the multicopter side to keep same s/w release pace. Slowly but surely, they are getting there though. As a nitro guy I'll hope and wait.
I'm sure the next ARM version will really kick ass. I personally like their all-in-one APM2.0 design, too bad they abandoned it with APM 2.5.
When I'm bored I often swap out my Naza-m and put my APM2 back in, especially when a new release comes out making sure not to be a first day guinea pig though.
sixback is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will the jr xg8 with dsmm work with the black edition?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Same here. Half a second is too slow? This is so violent it is close to breaking the blade roots.
1/2 second is 8.3m at 60kph!

Sent from Android via Trap a talk 2

rallyant is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobdean View Post
Will the jr xg8 with dsmm work with the black edition?
=] we have this now on 3.15. no reason why not!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyant View Post
1/2 second is 8.3m at 60kph!

Exactly! Imagine this in a violent manouver that totally changed directions.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Exactly! Imagine this in a violent manouver that totally changed directions.
I think he meant the heli loses 8m in altitude in half a second when the heli is dropping from the sky at the rate of 60 kph.

This number is a classic case of numbers don't lie. It is how you interpret it. Personally, I never ran into the situation my heli drops uncontrollablly at that speed. Secondly, SL does not mean you will never crash. But it does a darn good job if there's enough altitude and you hit the bailout switch fast enough.

Happy SLing
Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoY View Post
I think he meant the heli loses 8m in altitude in half a second when the heli is dropping from the sky at the rate of 60 kph
Happy SLing
=] Ahh I get it!!, the heli is in some deep trouble, at the exact same time the collective stick gimbal comes adrift from the handset, all this happens at 7M above?, TH refuses to work, one of the sat's fell off into the main rotor, in fact it goes into idle 2 OMG!

best advice? buy the GPS!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
the heli is in some deep trouble, at the exact same time the collective stick gimbal comes adrift from the handset, all this happens at 7M above?, TH refuses to work, one of the sat's fell off into the main rotor, in fact it goes into idle 2
All this sounds like something that could very well happen to me... In fact, it's probably just a matter of time...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] Ahh I get it!!, the heli is in some deep trouble, at the exact same time the collective stick gimbal comes adrift from the handset, all this happens at 7M above?, TH refuses to work, one of the sat's fell off into the main rotor, in fact it goes into idle 2 OMG!

best advice? buy the GPS!
Lol. The heli is indeed in a HUGHE trouble.

Because you recommend GPS, I assume you tested said condition and the GPS saved it. :p
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

Want to see how fast you can ALMOST crash and need a FAST instant bailout + climb watch this and jump to 1:40 in
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz_Clt2jyNU&sns=em[/ame]

I was Practicing piro flips at 25-30 feet messed up went knife edge fell like a rock, happend so fast my brain had one instant to do anything and that was flick the Captain Rescue button no time to even think about collective sticks or anything else. Heli leveled inverted in a instant and it auto applied 10 degrees negative pitch to stop the fall. Pity the video is zoomed in as it leveled at 1 METRE off the ground and climbed to safety. You can hear the guys in the pits as to how close it came to a bad crash.

I say the current Skookum bailout is SLOW in its current state because in this instance if I was flying a Skookum 720 I'd of crashed for sure and taken hope a bag full of broken Heli parts and a $350 repair bill. Luckily I had the Helicommand hc3sx with the instant auto climb which is why I was able to avoid this crash.

This is why the SL 720 needs a auto climb to come anywhere near competing with the Hc3sx.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoY View Post
Lol. The heli is indeed in a HUGHE trouble.

Because you recommend GPS, I assume you tested said condition and the GPS saved it. :p
=] yes, it's in the main GPS menu, select OPT 1 + mode, this will cover Tx gimbals adrift, loose sat's. one bladed head, one bladed tail, shot OWB, !

Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #156 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Want to see how fast you can ALMOST crash and need a FAST instant bailout + climb watch this and jump to 1:40 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz_Clt2jyNU&sns=em

I was Practicing piro flips at 25-30 feet messed up went knife edge fell like a rock, happend so fast my brain had one instant to do anything and that was flick the Captain Rescue button no time to even think about collective sticks or anything else. Heli leveled inverted in a instant and it auto applied 10 degrees negative pitch to stop the fall. Pity the video is zoomed in as it leveled at 1 METRE off the ground and climbed to safety. You can hear the guys in the pits as to how close it came to a bad crash.

I say the current Skookum bailout is SLOW in its current state because in this instance if I was flying a Skookum 720 I'd of crashed for sure and taken hope a bag full of broken Heli parts and a $350 repair bill. Luckily I had the Helicommand hc3sx with the instant auto climb which is why I was able to avoid this crash.

This is why the SL 720 needs a auto climb to come anywhere near competing with the Hc3sx.
Exactly my point ...
And something is telling me it could.
Ans no, I don't want the GPS just for that.
...and a s-load of planes
ArguZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArguZ View Post
Exactly my point ...
And something is telling me it could.
Ans no, I don't want the GPS just for that.
I agree I wouldn't want the GPS either I fly below 30 feet and still need to bailout at that height or below. Once hit bailout at 12 feet it still saved me. I'd just want the sk720 to auto climb when I wanted it to with a switch, 'captain rescue' instead of 'captain level'
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I agree I wouldn't want the GPS either I fly below 30 feet and still need to bailout at that height or below. Once hit bailout at 12 feet it still saved me. I'd just want the sk720 to auto climb when I wanted it to with a switch, 'captain rescue' instead of 'captain level'
I have a question regarding the climb with rescue. I understand you can set the pitch or rate of rescue climb, but are you still in control of pitch when this is activated? In other words do you have any pitch control at all or do you have to flip out of rescue in order to get control back?

The reason I ask is because I have needed to hit SL on my SK unit because I was too high up and far away and lost orientation. I'm trying to wrap my head around what would happen if I needed to do this with the HC and its going even higher while I'm trying to figure out which direction I'm facing to get it back to me.

It's a novel idea and one could easily set a rescue climb for the SK. You would just need to use flight modes to switch banks and have your SL mode with a flat line pitch value of your choice for rate of climb. Of course this would only work for upright SL. I'm still not sure I like the idea of the heli climbing and me not having control of it though.
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just friggin release this thing already!!
Rockarruda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICNU View Post
I have a question regarding the climb with rescue. I understand you can set the pitch or rate of rescue climb, but are you still in control of pitch when this is activated? In other words do you have any pitch control at all or do you have to flip out of rescue in order to get control back?

The reason I ask is because I have needed to hit SL on my SK unit because I was too high up and far away and lost orientation. I'm trying to wrap my head around what would happen if I needed to do this with the HC and its going even higher while I'm trying to figure out which direction I'm facing to get it back to me.

It's a novel idea and one could easily set a rescue climb for the SK. You would just need to use flight modes to switch banks and have your SL mode with a flat line pitch value of your choice for rate of climb. Of course this would only work for upright SL. I'm still not sure I like the idea of the heli climbing and me not having control of it though.
Yeah once you flick bailout button on the Hc3sx it levels and climbs and overrides all pitch, you still can give it cyclic inputs but it fights you hard as its trying it best to level and climb the Heli to safety.

The hc3sx has two options a bailout level button with optional climb upright/inverted. And a special horizon mode which levels the Heli perfectly and makes it as stable as a Heli coaxial like you'd buy at the mall. Both can be assigned to switches.

Auto climb is the best feature id never own another unit without such a feature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in