Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Just got back from a 1 week business trip so I am a little behind... Gotta finish up the Logo then I will get right on this one... next week is what I am shooting for!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found this bird very easy to build. I don't think you need to hurry on the vids.

It will be a T-Rex killer for sure. The parts quality and fit is superior to all three Rexes I've owned.

Look for an army of E4s at IRCHA this year.
Foamy Love is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

This will be great! Thanks Bob!

My E4 is on its way so I'll be waiting for the build vids before I start putting it together. I'll also be using Scorpion's -8 and 45 ESC (I hope they will make a good combo - I'm not in 3D yet) thus making it very similar to what you're building.

Looking forward!

Adrian.
adimilea is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Design benefit?

One of the touted design benefits of the Beam heli is the tail system that allows for easy changing of the drive belt. I am curious as to how easy this will be with a one piece case since the assembly instructions indicate the use of red loctite on the tail shaft bearings. Are there other options to Red loctite?
Jetleaf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Because the bearings push out of the tail case, I can see them wanting to use it for the shaft to inner bearing race connection but I would use green on the outer race for serviceability myself. In fact I probably wont use red as that is not it's purpose! A wicking locktite like green is what should be used in my opinion! They probably say red because green is not easy to find for the average Joe.

In the end what they want is to not allow the bearing races to spin on the shaft or in the case. Maybe even serviceable shoe goo would be fine. I wont know till I get building it.

Am am 1 week behind now and maybe a little more at this point. Sorry folks it will happen this month before I go to Bham in March.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

R48 it is. Thanks Bob. Don't sweat the delay on the build.

Ray
Jetleaf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

In the end what they want is to not allow the bearing races to spin on the shaft or in the case. Maybe even serviceable shoe goo would be fine. I wont know till I get building it.

Bob
Green is the way to go.

I've got a few flights on it whth a Scorpion - 6 and this thing is solid. The CC 45 and this motor are a perfect match for outdoor flying. I'll use the Scorpion - 8 in the second one, as this one will be for indoor only.

I did pull everything apart last night to see how easy changing the belt would be. Its faster to change than any other belt, and its easier having the one piece tail box.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy Love View Post
I've got a few flights on it whth a Scorpion - 6 and this thing is solid. The CC 45 and this motor are a perfect match for outdoor flying. I'll use the Scorpion - 8 in the second one, as this one will be for indoor only.
What pinion you used on the -6 motor? Have you measured the headspeed?

Thanks, and great heli; I'm building it myself also - still waiting on some electronics though.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Beam worked on a new canopy material that is tough as bleach bottle but good adhesion for paints.

Beam canopy crash testing video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtiEVyX4pAo

The painted canopies should be available from Advantage as an option soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	1668
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	39232  
red_z06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimilea View Post
What pinion you used on the -6 motor? Have you measured the headspeed?

Thanks, and great heli; I'm building it myself also - still waiting on some electronics though.

I'm running the 11t with the Gov. set @ 70% for indoor and 90% for outdoor. At 90% the thing is just insane. I love every second of it. I'm actually thinking about sellling one of my 90s to build 2 more of these. This way I'll have 2 for indoor and 2 for outdoor.

Now I just need those new canopies to be avialable in the US.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

For those of you reading norwegian.....

http://forum.modellflynytt.no/showthread.php?t=18567

But alot of pictures there
affas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Green is the way to go.

I did pull everything apart last night to see how easy changing the belt would be. Its faster to change than any other belt, and its easier having the one piece tail box.
Sounds good, I was wondering what pack you are using 3 cell or 4 cell with the Scorpion 6
Old 02-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

FP 3s EvoLite 2500Mh
Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm running the 11t with the Gov. set @ 70% for indoor and 90% for outdoor. At 90% the thing is just insane. I love every second of it. I'm actually thinking about sellling one of my 90s to build 2 more of these. This way I'll have 2 for indoor and 2 for outdoor.
Thanks for clarification!

Isn't the 45 amp ESC a bit on the limit with the Scorpion -6 motor (even at 90%) and the FP pack? How's the temperature after the flight. I plan to use the 45 (Scorpion) with the -8 motor and the EVO25 2500mah.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ESC gets hot (maybe hotter than it should) but I don't have a temp gun to get an exact number. The batteries and motor get warm but you can grab onto them after a flight and not burn you hand.

I haven't had a problem with the CC45 yet and I know that Bobby Watts is running the same set-up on his MA Bandit with out any issues either.

I have heard great things about the Scorpion ESCs but I have a few CC ESCs sitting around that I needed to use.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far, this is what's going to be used with mine, compliments to Ready Heli (except for the gyro). What do you guys think? Suggestions?
  1. HK2221-6 V2 Scorpion Brushless
  2. Kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 ESC
  3. Kong Power 3s1P 11.1v 2200mAh 25C Lipo Batter/Charger Combo
  4. JR JRPF300H Mini Heli Performance Servo Set
  5. JR G770 3D Gyro
  6. Gorilla Gear Programmable paddles
ROne21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

-8 Scorpion is suppose to be a more effiecient motor. Talked with Lucien in person about that.

Don't bother with that JR servo set. The first time you crash it will take out all the cyclic servos. You'll be much happier just buying the servo's seperate, buying the 285mg's for the cyclic and the 3400g for the tail. Call ReadyHeli, I'm sure they'll put together a combo for you!

I bought 2 sets of those JR servos. All the cyclic servos were taken out on the first or second crash, and all have $20 worth of metal gears in them now. Don't waste your time on plastic geared cyclic servo's!
Kasama Srimok - 8717HV's, 8900G, AR7100R, Spartan, YS 91SR, Hatori SB19
huskynox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Husky. Now I know about the servos. As far as the motor, the -6 was the one recommended to me by someone from Ready Heli but that's ok, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. So I can buy metal gears for the servos I got?
ROne21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROne21 View Post
So far, this is what's going to be used with mine, compliments to Ready Heli (except for the gyro). What do you guys think? Suggestions?
  1. HK2221-6 V2 Scorpion Brushless
  2. Kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 ESC
  3. Kong Power 3s1P 11.1v 2200mAh 25C Lipo Batter/Charger Combo
  4. JR JRPF300H Mini Heli Performance Servo Set
  5. JR G770 3D Gyro
  6. Gorilla Gear Programmable paddles
In my opinion, you'll be better off with a higher amp esc (the 55 amp maybe) if you plan on using the -6 motor. Bob will be using the same -6 motor so maybe he can make a better suggestion. You'll need a smaller pinion as this is a high kv motor.

Adrian.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know if Readyheli plans to stock the BEAM.....?
Kasama Srimok - 8717HV's, 8900G, AR7100R, Spartan, YS 91SR, Hatori SB19
huskynox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in