Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Arrow SOHCKing Gaui 200 BeastX build

I had a fellow YouTube user SOHCKing, (_Opiate_ on helifreak ) get in touch with

me asking me to help him with a Gaui 200 BeastX build. having seen the OCFly

builds I did he decided to go a similar route with his bird as well. what

follows is a build thread for his Heli.

just a quick overview of the hardware that will be installed in this build.
Gaui 200 V2 fes kit
BeastX and Satellite rx
Hitec HS5065MG on cyclic
Hyperion DS09GMD on tail
Bobby Watts tail upgrade
CC Phoenix 25 esc / 5150 motor
Hyperion EX 900mah 2s lipos
Align 205D mian / KBDD 42mm tail

here is a "whats in the box" video
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Tail Hardware

The tail consists of a Hyperion DS09GMD and the Bobby Watts tail upgrade. For this build I used the stock metal tail pushrod and guide, which by the way is a servo mount, a link, and a ball for the pushrod to pass through. I drilled a new hole in the support to allow for proper pushrod geometry. At first I wasn't sure how the stock pushrod would perform in flight, but I have the tail working quite nicely and I was pleasantly surprised that this setup works as well as it does.

A quick run through of the tail hardware installed on the heli

Here are some pics of the tail build:

I started with a 6mm ball distance but settled on 4mm after some test flights. This allowed me to use more of the servos throw to reach the limits I wanted to set at the tail. Also I am able to increase the gain slightly as well. Here you can also see how the pushrod guide is setup.

The Bobby Watts tail installed:

Here is where the tail is at to give me a no drift rate mode hover. you will see that this makes for just over 90º geometry setup on the bellcrank, and the slider is slightly closer to the case than the hub. When I redid my endpoints on the tail after moving the ball in, I do not get full throw out to the hub, BUT the piros are consistent in both direction and tail stopping behavior is the same both ways.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Motor And ESC

I chose to install the motor in the standard rear location, and the esc on the side of the heli. We are using deans micros on this build, I have had good luck with them.

Also I secured the esc's signal wires under the inside lip of the frame. this makes for a nice clean wiring job that is easy to route up front to where the BeastX will be mounted.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Electronics installation and wire routing.

I have built 3 birds now using the Hitec HS5065MG on the cyclic and have been having great luck with them. The centering is perfect, and they are nice and fast. control is accurate and they are durable. they are a little larger than the Hyperions I am using but in each case the heli doesn't seem to mind.

I have settled on this same wire routing on all the Gauis I build. This makes for a very tidy wiring job. the wires are laid between the two front servos and routed in an "S" fashion through the front motor mount. In this area I install a small amount of padding on the motor mount to protect the servo wires, and as a side effect provide a small amount of vibration dampening as well.

I oriented the servo wires so that they come out in the order that they will be plugged into the BeastX so that they dont look like a tangled mess. I then set my lengths from the motor mount to where I want the BeastX to go so there is just enough slack there for it to not be tense, and also to not flop around. This also leaves just enough to get to should you need to unplug a servo. the rest of the wire length is conveniently tucked in front of the servos between the frame sides out of site, secured with a heat shrinked ziptie.

The BeastX works well on the tongue of the heli up front. it makes for easy access to the setup button and the pots as well. I put the Satellite RX on the middle of the bottom tray. The satellite adapter, and the sat rx cable is heatshrinked and tucked under the lip of the frame the same way that the esc signal wire was done earlier. you can see that the wiring has just enough slack not to transmit any vibrations, and also leaves plenty of clearance for the electronics.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default BeastX Setup

here are a couple videos of the BeastX setup steps. I broke it down into two parts, tail and head setup.

Tail Setup
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
For the tail, I have found a couple things that help to make the tail setup easy to work through. First, when you are on step C-Tail servo center position, here is where you want to set your servo horn to 90º on this step the servo will be resting at its center and will not move. Another tip I have picked up along the way is regarding determining the servo direction, and sensor direction. Simply orient the tail hub to vertical, and fold the top blade toward the nose. now whichever direction that blade points is the direction the helis nose is going to rotate. It makes it super simple to see at a glance if your tail is doing what its supposed to do.

BeastX setup steps A-F

Swash Setup
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
For the swash setup steps, some of the key things that I go by when doing these steps are as follows, there is more detail on each concept in the video.

Step G Swashplate servo centering:
Setup the links and level the swash while ON one of the servos(any color light), NOT in the reference position (no light). All 3 servos move to your selected position no matter which one you are resting on.

Step I- Swashplate servo directions:
This is a 2 part step,

1) Get the swash servos to move up and down in unison using one of the presets in the BeastX, correct direction is not important at this point.

2) Using your transmitters reversing, make the swash move the correct direction for each function. Unlearn eCCPM mixing idea of each servo having a role (PIT, AIL, ELE), rather each function has a role.

The infamous Step J-Swashplate cyclic pitch geometry:
Go just into the blue, THEN setup your mechanics to make your blades show you 6º, for this bird all I had to do was move the balls inward on the inner ring of the swash. I just flipped over some stock ones as I didnt have any without standoffs. you have all the time in the world to sit on this step so there is no hurry.

Step L-Swashplate cyclic limit:
DONT set the amount of cyclic you think you want to use like you did with a flybar setup. Set as much pitch as you can without binding, it will be a lot, but the BeastX will decide how much of it it needs in flight. Typically 10-12º is optimal and you should see the light blue for the best setup. This step is the same concept as setting the limits on your tail.

This video goes over the swashplate related setup steps. It is kinda long, so I have broken down the time below in case you want to jump to a specific step.

Intro: 0-2:33
Step G: 2:33-5:10
Steps H-I: 5:10-6:55
Step J: 6:55-10:45
Steps K-L: 10:45-13:58
Steps M-N: 13:58-16:00

BeastX setup steps G-N
Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Some flight videos, and thoughts on tuning.

Once I had the Heli complete, and was able to fly it, I followed many of the concepts from the MicroBeast Tuning Guide created by HeliFreak user nwmtech. basically I lowered the pitching up behavior and the heading lock gain parameters, C and D respectively to their lowest settings, and then commenced to tune in the tail and head gains.

Initially on the tail I had the ball out at 6mm. I seemed to always have a soft wander about 1 inch each direction in a hover, and my tail gain was fairly low in my tx. after moving the ball in to 4mm, the wander went away and I was able to increase the tail gain as well. I am personally a fan of "bottom up" gain tuning and probably have some room to breathe on the gain, but I simply set it so that it holds steady in all the maneuvers I threw at it. After the tail gain was sorted, I moved on to parameter D-heading lock gain. this parameter is used to dial out any "whipping" or inconsistent piro speed while in forward flight. for this bird I settled on high and that works well. The tail stops are somewhat soft so I turned up Dial 3: Tail Dynamic to get back some firmness on the stops.

For the cyclic, at first I had this cyclic bobble that I could not get rid of. Strapping the BeastX down tight did the trick, the Cyclic gain is about one click below the stock position. After that I tuned Paramter C-Cyclic pitching up behavior. This setting is to help dial out any "porpoising", that dolphin like effect where the heli will bob up and down in fast forward flight. I also settled on high on this step. I did turn up Dial 2: Cyclic feed forward to add a little snap into the cyclic response around center. this dial is similar to the "paddle simulation" feature on the Vbar, it gives you progressively more direct control of the servos the higher you turn it up.

Here is where the dials are:

Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work man,

Now that is a comprehensive build, I bet anyone running a beast x that has questions will
Find them here,

Do you think that servo will work similar on a sk720? With the same tail
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

most likely, those are great servos.

Glad you like the build
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot for your time Nexgen. I can't wait to get the heli back Tuesday.

If anyone is looking for an honest builder that knows what he's doing and is very trustworthy this is your man right here. All around great guy and VERY helpful.
_Opiate_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is that the 9g plastic canopy on this one? if so, does the hyperion lipo fit well inside that?
hueyhog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I vote Nextgen's build vids are stickys...

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

duly stuck
Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I Haven't actually sat down and read the build thread for my own heli lol so here goes!
_Opiate_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay so I have rebuilt after a nice little crash that basically caused a tail strike. After rebuilding and having made a few mistakes I am almost there. She is fly able but there is a nasty tail wag when I spool up and land. I can usually push through it and once in the air she settles down but I have to have the gyro gain in my tx at 60. The lower the better. But I believe this is easing me out of the hh feature and I need all the help I can get so this is nonproductive.
anotherdebt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default failsafe?

How do you set the failsafe, when you're using the beastx with a spek satellite? Reading the manual it seems the failsafe only works if the beastx loses signal from the satellite, but if the satellite loses the TX signal....
fretman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

..same question here... thanks for asking, have you tried the BeastX forum? I will look in there as soon as I have some free time
DMala is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post
but if the satellite loses the TX signal....
It stops transmitting data to the beastX...
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
It stops transmitting data to the beastX...
I had the throttle going to ch6 on beastx and reprogrammed the channel assignment accordingly. Turns out thats why failsafe wasn't working. Moved the throttle back to ch5 and failsafe works as designed.
fretman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

What satelite did you use? Would there be any benefit to using the Spm9646 (carbon fuselage) vs the spm9645.
Dawagner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in