Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Where to now???

Ok I flew helis a few years ago and I stoped due to cpv3 issues and my farm re take over now I have gotten back into flying helis again ..... I have a dynam erazor 450 with terot gyro .... And I can do tail in hover within a few inches...... and tail in hover in about a couple of feet ..... Where to now do I work on left and right sides in .....or start on slow forward flight I still dont trust my self enough in nose in to go with out my training gear.... As i have had to bail a few hovers by dropping it ....... do I continue hover trainin or what ..... I have no sim as I have no computer since the fire

Sent from my galaxy s
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

You might be able to try a partial side in, that's where you rotate the nose in either direction 45 degrees. That will get you used to looking at the side of the heli without it being fully side-in.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since I am fresh off that stage I can attest to what Bob O said. I was having trouble with side hovers but after a very few sessions with 45 degree hovers, it clicked.
DX8 G2, Qx7s
MLFLY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to radds school of rotary flight. Its a very good way to get you moving in the right direction. Keep the teaining gear on. Dont hover too high. And bail out is trottle cut. Just bang.on the orientations as.long as you can and then you will start forward flight before long. Most important thing.... Be patient.

Link. http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Boinker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do NOT try any forward flight until all 4 basic hover orientations are natural or you WILL trash your heli.
exhogflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: Where to now???

Ok great advice ..... Do I still keep it low or do I get over a few feet ..... I flew forward flight before learning side in when I had my hirobo shuttle I could fly around my self ..... I crashed it due to interfearence (spelling?) lost all but ail. Control and smacked a pine tree 3 years ago and havent flown till recently

Sent from my galaxy s
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman86 View Post
Ok great advice ..... Do I still keep it low or do I get over a few feet ..... I flew forward flight before learning side in when I had my hirobo shuttle I could fly around my self ..... I crashed it due to interfearence (spelling?) lost all but ail. Control and smacked a pine tree 3 years ago and havent flown till recently
The advice is to prevent crashing as you do not have sim to throw around (and want to spend time flying not fixing).

Keep everything SLOW. No FF circles till all upright orientations mastered. Flying around you is a bad habit and should be avoided. Moving your feet and body while flying is a bad habit and should be avoided (most transmitters do not respond to "english", or being turned like a steering wheel)

Fly eye level or slightly higher. No more than 10 feet. Give you time to react to wind gusts without already being in the deck. Also reduces damage if it does come down, by not being too high.

Do not fly near any obstacles (houses, trees, fences, people, etc..), they seem to have a gravitational fields that sucks in airborne helis.

Get tail-in hover really solid. (RADD's method really helps here if not at that stage yet). This is your bail-out should anything happen.

Start with hover 45 degrees off from tail in, first one way, then the other. Always come back through tail in. Make sure you have the feel of how fast it all turns.

SLOWLY increase till side-in, keep for a second or two, then bring back to tail-in.

Only go as far as side-in to begin with.

To move the heli around, keep the tail towards you at all times.

Do T movements (all tail in). Left, Centre, Right, Centre, Forwards, Center.

Even do tail-in circles and 8s (There a 2 types of 8s, center away and center toward, these are more like an flat X shape with rounded ends than two joining circles).

When doing tail-in center-toward 8s, allow the tail to slide out a little (45 degrees at most), so it is flying sideways across the centre of the 8. All turns pass though tail in and are 90 degrees or less.

When doing tail-in center-away 8s, allow the tail to slide out a little (45 degrees at most), so it is flying almost forwards across the centre of the 8. All turns pass though tail in and are 90 degrees or less.

As you progress, SLOWLY increase tail slide in center-toward 8s till at most crossing side-on infront of you.

As you progress, SLOWLY increase tail swing at edges of center-away 8s till you are steering into the run across the centre from side-in.

AT ALL TIMES THE HELI MUST BE IN YOUR CONTROL. If it is out of your control it is a projectile. IF OUT OF CONTROL, REGAIN CONTROL AND BRING BACK TO CENTRE TAIL-IN, then and only then, start the move again (or land and stop shaking).

Hope this helps (and is on the right track at your skill level).
Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: Where to now???

Wow this helps alot

Sent from my galaxy s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in