Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > R/C Helicopter Tools and Supplies

R/C Helicopter Tools and Supplies Tools and Products used with R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Workbench ideas

I know this topic has been asked before, but I have not really found what I am looking for. I am planning on moving my helicopter work station into my garage. What size bench would work best and what height? I am thinking about making/buying one that is higher than a convention desk and maybe some where in the 24 to 30 inches deep and 48 to 60 inches wide.

Does anyone have any pictures of what you are using? I think I know what I want, but just looking for other ideas.

Thanks

Craig
crazycraig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I spotted one of these in my LHC a year or so ago and was wowed but couldn't justify the price. Saw it come on sale around the holidays for a hundred bucks off so I got one and absolutely love it. Lowes has it in black finish for $100.00 less too. The stainless one looked too good to put in the garage so I put it inside and it looks great in my family room/tech room/office. I work from home and this is where I spend most of my time if I'm not sleeping.

Outside I have several bench locations and a nice shop vibe going on. The taller one holds my drill press and where I do most of my heli work like Dremeling. Another one has my bench grinder and yet another is my beater bench with a big vice. That one is a Gorilla Rack that has taken years of abuse and surprisingly been a good platform for the heavy 5" vice mounted on it.

I do most of the normal stuff like heli building & repairs on my office desk, my new Lowes bench, the kitchen counters and the dining room table. (Haha! I live alone and never have visitors). I do have several areas of my house that are heli junk free, but not many.

--Elisabeth
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I built the addition to my garage last year I built the benches to match the height of the tool box which is about 40". It worked out to be the perfect height for me to work on the heli's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1440.jpg
Views:	1714
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	399636  

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying, and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun"
Hekicopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a small room in my basement I use and built my own bench in a corner. It works ok but what I found is on it and most benches that are against a wall if you have the blades on a heli and doing setup where you need to swing them around it becomes a pain if it's a larger heli.
So I picked up a small folding table and set it right behind my chair at my bench. So now I work on my 500 and 600 on the table and just use the bench for doing small stuff like soldering, working on the 130X, etc etc. I have an office chair so I can swivel around and reach either the table or bench.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table_bench.JPG
Views:	1340
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	399815  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my bench setup. I purchased my Craftman bench at Sears with the bamboo top. I really like that it uses 2 tube lights as well as several outlets on the right corner. The drawers are full of helicopter related items (chargers, soldering iron, setup tools, etc.) It sits high enough so that I can work standing up for hours without hurting my back. It is big enough for a 450 size helicopters with the blades spread out. That is a Blade 450X on the bench.
Dimensions: H 42" (3-1/2 ft.) x W 72" (6 ft.) x D 24" (2 ft.)

For the bigger helicopters, I use a ladder with a wood platform and long Velcro straps. Got every single part at Home Depot. The ladder top is 50" high. The wood platform is 14-1/2" long x 10-1/2" wide. It accommodates a Whiplash (pictured) with room to spare. I attached the bolts with wing nuts so that I can take the wood top off easily for transport to the field. I am 5' 8", so the blades sit high enough so that I do not bump them with my head; One of the benefits of being vertically challenged.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bench 1.JPG
Views:	9478
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	400036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench 2.JPG
Views:	4523
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	400037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench 3.JPG
Views:	4510
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	400038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench 4.JPG
Views:	4449
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	400039  
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

man i cant way to have my own house. =D I currently live with parents
x5heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My getup

Old kitchen table, comfy chair and a kickass lamp. Simple and very effective.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bench.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	411399  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=johnahamelv;4786781
For the bigger helicopters, I use a ladder with a wood platform and long Velcro straps. Got every single part at Home Depot. The ladder top is 50" high. The wood platform is 14-1/2" long x 10-1/2" wide. It accommodates a Whiplash (pictured) with room to spare. I attached the bolts with wing nuts so that I can take the wood top off easily for transport to the field. I am 5' 8", so the blades sit high enough so that I do not bump them with my head; One of the benefits of being vertically challenged.

I just recommended this to another member. It is great to have around, and can go to the field. It is a little pricey, but I got it at as a present. It has trays for all of your tools, and it is able to rotate so you can work on different sides.
It is the tripod stand in this thread: [url]https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=527836[/url]
or here is the link: https://www.scaleflying.com/RC-Helic...nt_p_2058.html
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I built a workbench in my garage. Not specifically for helis, but it does find heli use.
It is 36" deep and 6' long. Probably would have been better at 30" deep, as it's a long reach to the outlets.
I built it so that it could support the weight of the trans and/or motor from my muscle car. It's is pretty heavy duty.
I made the top from MDF board. It is pretty durable and easily replaced. This allows me to drill into or through it to mount fixtures if needed.
Probably overkill for just helis, but I use it for several hobbies.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Umm,,, Why is that heli strapped to the ladder? Blade tracking? That thing wont fly too good like that. Im a noobie and know that.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

No. It's just a helicopter stand made with a ladder and a wooden 37mm x 27mm x 11.5mm platform. The straps just hold the helicopters in place to prevent them from tipping over. Unlike working on the helicopter on a traditional bench, the stand allows me to have a 360° working perimeter at pretty much eye level, so better for my back.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder-small.JPG
Views:	3686
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	433263  
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, was seriously trying to figure this one out. My last guess was this was the first flybarless stabilization system prototype.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm currently trying to set up a hobby area too. I just replaced the Corian counter tops in the kitchen with granite and thought I might use the Corian to make a nice work area in the basement. I may just use the piece from the island to make a setup area and buy a couple workbenches for doing the airframe builds, soldering etc.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been informed by my soon to be wife that the kitchen will no longer be suitable for helicopter projects if I would like for her to cook dinner. To be fair, I do have every bit of counter space, including stove top, covered with heli parts and heli related stuffs. So it's time for me to build a workbench. I think I've settled on this one, but I welcome any suggestions.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/worksh...bench/view-all

15 2x4s is sure going to make a heavy bench.

I'm not opposed to buying a workbench, but they can get pretty pricey and not be exactly what you want. I'm thinking something about counter top height, so you can work comfortably standing up but can sit at with a stool.

None of these suggestions can include ditching the fiance! She's been pretty handy so far, and she enjoys all of my hobbies.
fhu667 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2x4's

Yeah, I like the 2x4 idea. You can always upgrade. I dunno about the bare wood top. You can lay out one of those rubber floor mats on top. Would keep all the screws from dancing around. One of those big arse magnifying led lamps on it is my favorite tool.

Mini Prôtos 6S Stretch - DS95/DS95i, Mini V-Bar, YGE60 VBAR Ready
CrashAddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one of the big magnified lights. I was thinking about putting a raised border around the top top make a lip that runs all the way around, and then putting a finish on the wood. I figure that will help me keep from getting splinters as well as keeping screws from rolling off. It might not stop the bounce....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

i love mine! i have a three story house, the bottom story is underground, and serves as a tornado shelter, and a heli workshop! along with a basement and an office too. i built this wood table to fit the center of the room so i have access all the way around it. and use two glass tables against the wall as well. the glass tables come in handy for checking main and feathering shafts too. these pics are kind of old, and i have added 3 more 600 and 700 size birds to the fleat since. so the room is pretty full now, but in the pics its nice and clean.

i worked on the wood table for a few weeks until i decided i needed a matting of some sort, so i bought the white matting and ran it down the center. it is just tacking enough to keep up with washers and small bolts and things so they dont roll off or get knocked off easy. my daughters love to hang out down there with me and draw pics of helis and things and hang on the walls. they even pitched a tent down there and will fall asleep in it while im working late! lol gotta love my babies!

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2090
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	466030

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	466031

previous to this, my workbench was the dinning room table. my wife threatend to thow the next heli that landed on her table out the window. i begain working on this room that afternoon!
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like that white matting. I guess it also give a good color contrast from most of the nuts and bolts as well as stops the bounce.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

@LoveToFly1: I see you have one of those little CREE flashlights in the lower right of the picture with the white matting.

I find they're invaluable for heli work... From finding "little things" that make it off the table, to providing highlight on specific parts of the work!

So cheap an SO good! I presume, that one, like mine, is focusable?

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Workbench ideas

Sam's had these on sale after thanksgiving. It sure went together easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in