Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default New to SK-360-3?'s

Hey guy's
I'm working through the setup on my E620 and have a few Q's.

1-In the manual after selecting your swash type you are to select
"make sure Mixing Location is set to In Gyro." but I do not see a check box for this, is it just defaulted in the newest software?

2-Next the manual recommends 10* of cyclic pitch, this is going to be a scale setup and I am used to a 8* Collective - 6* Cyclic do I need the 10* Cyclic or can this be dialed down to my norm?
Also does the Collective need a 10*+ range or can I set pitch curves as I normally would?

3-I will be using a 140* swash on my setup when I get it, but for now I'm trying to setup for 90* eCCPM 3 servo how do I get a 3 servo setting? The software always shows a 4 servo setup Left,Right,Fore and Aft but my swash uses no "Aft" servo do I just plug in what I've got and reverse both Fore and Aft servo movements to get my throws correct?

Other than that the software is pretty straight forward though I haven't had any flight time on it yet.

Thanks for any help everyone!
GimpyGolden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
t2o
Registered Users

I might be thick but I believe you want to be using 120* eCCPM. I dont know what 90* 3 or 4 servo is?

I followed a post about a scale machine and at high speed it would shake and shudder until the builder gave it more cyclic This only happened after the fuse was installed; apparently the added weight of the fuse required more pitch to manage. Likely there are alot of vaiables in play here like delta, bushings, slop, servo speed and strength.

It has been awhile since I followed that thread and I am not a scale guy in the least. But I think even for scale, you want a good amount of cyclic. Just set your control-rates (rotation per second) lower to maintain that scale feeling. Think of the sk and cyclic just the way you would a tail gyro and pitch slider.

The option for mixing in the radio was removed (same time bank switching was added I think)

Good luck and let us know how goes it! and what your final settings end up at.
t2o is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I definitely Need 90* as the servo links are 90* apart from one another.
I'll try first with the full 10* Cyc and use the default "scale" control-rates.

Here;s a pic of swash layout on the E550/620

I just need to figure how to choose 3 servo 90* instead of 4.

thanks though
GimpyGolden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
t2o
Registered Users

I have not seen that set-up before. It looks to me like servo 2 (aft) could just be ignored in the program. I am sure Art will have the answer for you soon.
t2o is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
2-Next the manual recommends 10* of cyclic pitch, this is going to be a scale setup and I am used to a 8* Collective - 6* Cyclic do I need the 10* Cyclic or can this be dialed down to my norm?
Also does the Collective need a 10*+ range or can I set pitch curves as I normally would?
I think (note I said "think" and not "know") what they want you to do is check that there is 10* cyclic available to the FBL unit so it doesn't bind. You should be able to dial the radio back down to what you want after that.

I would imagine that having the FBLU drive the head to bind would casue the flight to be, to quote the manual on another subject “very exciting, short, and possibly also expensive."
Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll try to answer your questions:

Quote:
1-In the manual after selecting your swash type you are to select
"make sure Mixing Location is set to In Gyro." but I do not see a check box for this, is it just defaulted in the newest software?
The first time I setup a SK360, I was puzzled by this too. What I interpret this to say is, "ensure that mixing is turned off in your Transmitter or any other devise that you might be using, let the SK360 do the mixing".

4 SK360's later, and all my heli's are still flying fine; 2, 3, 4 and 5-bladers.

Quote:
For the pitch curve, I set it as I would normally do. Some heli's of mine run +/- 10 degrees all the way to +/- 15 degrees. Generally, I set the mechanics and the SK to as high as I can/want, then tune it in the normal pitch curve in the transmitter.

I've left all my heli's to have +/- 10 degrees (or a little more) of cyclic. If you want to dail it down, you should dail it down in the Swash Setting of the SK360. If you just want to dampen it a little, you can play with the EXP in your transmitter. For now, I would not recommend adjusting the End-Points in your Transmitter to tone it down, but theortically it can, like in the GyroBots (which I also run and like).

Quote:
3-I will be using a 140* swash on my setup when I get it, but for now I'm trying to setup for 90* eCCPM 3 servo how do I get a 3 servo setting? The software always shows a 4 servo setup Left,Right,Fore and Aft but my swash uses no "Aft" servo do I just plug in what I've got and reverse both Fore and Aft servo movements to get my throws correct?
I believe that you need to select the "90 Degree eCCPM (3 or 4 servo)" option in the Swashplate Tab. Then simply ignore the Servo 2 / Aft connection since there is no servo there in your setup. Servo 1 / Fwd will control your Elevator.

You can't use 140 degree setup because this will use all 3 servos for Elevator which is incorrect for 90 degree setups which is closer to a mCCPM movement of the Swash.

Hope this helps.
kennethw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

on cyclic pitch. You NEED at least 10 degrees available on the cyclic, as this is what the SK360 uses to control the heli. On a flybar heli, cyclic input is what you give from transmitter, but the flybar can move the blades well beyond that to correct movement.
You set 10-11 degrees of cyclic to give SK360 ability to control and correct, while not binding.
You control rate at which the heli moves given a cyclic input using the control rate and bell gain settigs.
Control rate sets maximum degrees of pitch or roll (elevator/aileron axis) the heli is allowed to rotate, and bell percentage sets how "quick" it gets to this rate. Higher bell feels like lighter paddles with respect to how quick it will go from stopped to flipping or rolling.

Check out the defaul "Scale" load.
Betting it has a max control rate below 180 degrees per second, and bell percentages down in the 30 range?
jsenicka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in