Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle pulling down Rx

Made a bit of a weird experience today with my eLogger V3 (s/w V7.84) so I thought I'd ask...

I was rewiring my bird today. Weird thing was that when I connected the battery, my Rx would not boot. My MicroBeast, on the other hand, did - and it feeds only from the Rx. Mind, the MicroBeast never completed the boot coz there was no signal from the Rx. I worked out (after some while) that whenever I disconnected the throttle signal line (from my Rx), all was fine; whenever I connected it, all went bad. Now, I had torn the HV minus line to my ET from its EC3. I did not think too much of it - too many other building sites. But I did work out that when I pushed the HV minus back in, then the Rx would work with the throttle connected.

I should mention - although you will have guessed at this stage - that my throttle signal (a single wire only) is split into my ET (for recording). (The other two +/- lines of the Y-cable, incidentally, pull power from my BEC.)

I always assumed that our signal lines were + and that the ET would ground the LV throttle signal to the HV minus. So I could have accepted that the throttle recording may simply not have functioned with the HV minus ruptured.

I would like to understand what horrible things electric went on in my poor Rx while the ET did not have a minus (the plus was always connected to the flight-pack)?

Incidentally, my Rx feeds from a BEC that's connected to the same flight pack as the ET. This seems like a closed circuit. I am quite intrigued how the throttle recording works when the Rx is powered from a separate Rx pack. The throttle signal then connects - via the ET - the positive terminal of the Rx pack with the negative terminal of the flight pack. Is this wholesome?

Last edited by ollie2893; 04-20-2011 at 06:32 AM..
ollie2893 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Discrepancy between live and recorded throttle values

Some more throttle weirdness I could do with some help with. When running Live Mode, the ET dashboard shows my throttle settings at 2x my input / 10. Problem is that the data read back from the recorder does not match to the values shown by the live dashboard. They should be live*10 but they come out higher.

Example: my ST1 sends out a throttle of 18%, the live throttle shows a reading of 3 but the data recorded in ST1 displays a reading of 65. So to work back to my input signal, I need to divide my recorded data by almost 4.

Except this does not follow either. My ST2 sends out 40%, the live dashboard shows 8 but the data recorder shows 100. So the error for ST2 is materially lower than that for ST1.

Anyone got any idea what's going on here? 100% throttle incidentally records 190 and shows live as 19, so no error at all. The error is exponential, in other words.

EDIT: Just notice that the min throttle value (for 0% input) shows in the data recorder as 30 (the live throttle pulls down to a proper 0). Divided by 10 this is a reasonably small error but it baffles me that the max throttle reading (of 190) should be right (-ish - should really read 200). If I had to pull all Y values down by 30, then my max throttle would come out at 160 - materially too low.

It really would seem like the data recorder would benefit from some throttle calibration. But how to achieve this?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just realized that I can also turn on Live Mode in the chart display. When I do this, the live Chart data matches the recordings (*) but when I shuffle the chart aside so that I can see the live dashboard and the live chart at the same time, then the two show the same discrepancies I talked about above. What gives?

(*) Except that zero throttle now seems to show up at 45 in the live chart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in