Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can see in the photo above that he has a 3s 2200 going on one channel and a pair of 6s batteries on the other. They're not gonna overlook something as crucial as that. Pretty sure it's safe to get excited that this new BUMP setup is gonna rock!
minatrix is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee View Post
Not trying to be a pain but how will it if I am not charging in expansion mode? Maybe I am wrong (I am a Powerlab newb) but from what I am reading expansion mode is for packs all of the same chemistry and voltage? So if I want to charge two 6s packs on one side of the DPL8x2 and two 4s packs on the other side then I cannot use expansion mode. Am I off on this?
With the BUMP the BUMP is acting as a bus master controller. The BUMP communicates directly with the charger while the charger is in expansion channel mode, but the channels are not directly communicating with each other as they would in expansion channel mode w/o the BUMP. The BUMP is an entirely new way to use your PowerLab charger.
Ace Dude is online now        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minatrix View Post
You can see in the photo above that he has a 3s 2200 going on one channel and a pair of 6s batteries on the other. They're not gonna overlook something as crucial as that. Pretty sure it's safe to get excited that this new BUMP setup is gonna rock!
+1!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ace Dude's comments are spot-on ... there are 4 separate ports out of the BumpController and each charger is operated completely independent of the others.
RevoKelly is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a picture that is posted on the Revo USA Facebook page. Keep in mind this is a prototype unit shown at IRCHA last month. Here you can see how each charger connects to the BUMP.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So the bump controller plugs directly into the back of the charger using the servo plugs or do you still need the USB device? I am at work and can't watch the video right not so excuse me if this is answered in the vid but how does the Bump controller communicate with the tablet?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

The BumpController ports are also just 3-wire servo connectors so you connect directly to the PowerLab with servo leads - you don't use FUIM-3 adapters.

The connection to the mobile device app is wireless Bluetooth 4 / Low Energy.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
The BumpController ports are also just 3-wire servo connectors so you connect directly to the PowerLab with servo leads - you don't use FUIM-3 adapters.

The connection to the mobile device app is wireless Bluetooth 4 / Low Energy.
Thanks for providing us with information about this upcoming Bump controller! Just one question with reference to what you have said in your last post. Does this mean that the FUIM-3 adaptor and computer software are being phased out with this controller? Or will they still be needed to set up charge profiles and maybe set up the profile of each bump sticker with it for that battery it is going to be attached to.
jonathancassar is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancassar View Post
Thanks for providing us with information about this upcoming Bump controller! Just one question with reference to what you have said in your last post. Does this mean that the FUIM-3 adaptor and computer software are being phased out with this controller? Or will they still be needed to set up charge profiles and maybe set up the profile of each bump sticker with it for that battery it is going to be attached to.
In the short term, you will still need the FUIM3 and Windows CCS software to perform many functions on the PowerLabs - like firmware upgrades and preset management (assuming you continue to use presets as a setup method, in addition to the "bump" setup). Over time, we will add those capabilities directly into the BumpController and the corresponding mobile apps for the BumpController so you can perform those functions without needing to connect directly to the PowerLab.

Note that the BumpController will also have a Windows CCS application, but initial functionality will only be as a firwmare upgrade utility. As time permits, we will integrate the same real-time monitoring and control capabilities of the BumpController mobile app into the Windows app.

So in short, Windows support isn't going away, but the new features introduced by the BumpController will be implemented first on Android and Apple platforms, followed by Windows. Customer demand will dictate the prioritization of features and platforms, so feel free to speak up

PS ... BumpTags are programmed and modified directly from the BumpController user interface - no requirement for an external app. All of the BumpController CCS apps (mobile and Windows) will eventually get that feature integrated too, but it isn't a high priority - it's pretty quick and easy to enter the required information directly on the color touchscreen of the BumpController.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is really awesome. I have been wanting an effective and seamless way to not only charge but log battery usage for a while. You could do that with the old CCS, but it was cumbersome. This should make things really simple.

I already love my 3 PowerLab 8s and probably will get a DPL8 for my home charging setup and use the 3 PLs exclusively for the field.

The bump controller just takes it to another level entirely. And it's great that iOS will be supported. I'm an Apple guy, so OSX support would be awesome too.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz76 View Post
This is really awesome. I have been wanting an effective and seamless way to not only charge but log battery usage for a while. You could do that with the old CCS, but it was cumbersome. This should make things really simple.

I already love my 3 PowerLab 8s and probably will get a DPL8 for my home charging setup and use the 3 PLs exclusively for the field.

The bump controller just takes it to another level entirely. And it's great that iOS will be supported. I'm an Apple guy, so OSX support would be awesome too.
Yeah, I've never recorded charge history at all because it was just too manual and cumbersome. With "bump", the unique ID of each BumpTag/battery, along with a unique cycle number (also tracked in the BumpTag), is automatically associated to the cycle graph. The BumpController will cache about 100 cycle graphs locally (depending on sample settings) and then when your mobile device connects (if it isn't already), it uploads the cycle graphs into a database in the app. So viewing full charge history on a battery will be as simple as bumping the battery and selecting "History" ... zero manual steps.

Note that this will also work even if/when you happen to own multiple BumpControllers because all of the relevant information (like ID and cycle count) is stored in the BumpTag and not in the BumpController, so Cycle Graphs from different BumpController can still be merged into a single database.

DISCLAIMER: Cycle graph history and reporting will not be available in the very first release of software, but will be added in 1Q 2016.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minatrix View Post
I think this is exactly what is hoped for.
Will the bump interface make it possible for multiple chargers to share the same input Amp draw limit if running more than one charger per power supply? Certainly not a deal breaker but would be cool. I understand that is a rather complicated task to achieve and may not even be possible.
Sorry ... missed this question first time around.

Yes, this is on our software roadmap. We are hoping we can leverage the current balancing capability already built into the Expansion Chanel protocol - if so, this should be a fairly trivial feature we can deliver in early 2016. If it ends up requiring PowerLab firmware changes, then probably later in 2016.

My plan is to give you the ability to specify at least 1 or 2 power supplies, each with their own current limit, then specify which of the 4 chargers are hooked to each power supply. BumpController will then be able to shift power around as needed. My thought is to give a few different options for how power is allocated - like equal allocation, prioritize first chargers started, attempt to finish together, etc. If you have thoughts here, please share.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Yes, this is on our software roadmap. We are hoping we can leverage the current balancing capability already built into the Expansion Chanel protocol - if so, this should be a fairly trivial feature we can deliver in early 2016. If it ends up requiring PowerLab firmware changes, then probably later in 2016.

My plan is to give you the ability to specify at least 1 or 2 power supplies, each with their own current limit, then specify which of the 4 chargers are hooked to each power supply. BumpController will then be able to shift power around as needed. My thought is to give a few different options for how power is allocated - like equal allocation, prioritize first chargers started, attempt to finish together, etc. If you have thoughts here, please share.
I'm using a 1500W 48V/35A power supply powered by a Honda EU2000i generator. I try and do as much charging at the field as possible. My goal would be allow as much power as possible on each port of my DPL8x2 w/o overloading my generator and causing it to shutdown. Nothing fancy in terms of priority, but reducing the power proportionally on each channel would work for me. Right now I have each channel set to 17A in the DPL8x2 so I've never had an issue.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

BOOM! Thanks. This things just keeps looking better and better. And my respect for Revolectrix for doing their best to make a solid product and thinking of their customers keeps growing.

I'm starting to be really glad I just picked up a powerlab charger.
minatrix is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 05:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Note that the initial BumpController software release will only support charger setup via "bump", but we will be adding the ability to select/manage standard PL presets too - it will be a followon software release in 1H2016. Would be good know how important this is for folks - whoever is following this thread, feel free to give us your opinion on that.
I heard this discussed in RCHN episode 201 and I agree with the guys on there, the bump sounds awesome, but I want the ability to set presets too.

I'm already thinking of this for my winter charge case refresh, I can hide the powerlab completely under the deck, mount the bump in the lid, and I have a ton of space then for connecting packs.

But I want to be able to charge other people's packs, or micro packs, and I would want to be able to pick standard presets too. I don't really want to be putting bump stickers on a tiny pack for my daughters quad, or on my TX packs, or on my nitro glow starters...

... nor do I want them on a 31kg deep cell battery! There is no way guys with deep cells are going to want to pick them up to *bump* them on a charger :-D

If you can support bump, plus full remote control of the PowerLab that gives you the best of both worlds. It also means you can use the bump just as a remote control for the powerlab, making for a tidy charge case.
myxiplx is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So viewing full charge history on a battery will be as simple as bumping the battery and selecting "History" ... zero manual steps.
Do you log IR as part of this? Automatic IR tracking with a graph on a smartphone showing the change as the pack ages would be awesome!

A calculated C rating would be cool too, having a summary of my packs on my phone where I can see at a glance how they compare would be very nice to have.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I have an old Cellpro 10S, which is still going strong. Using this new product can I effectively and easily make use of a whole bunch of additional tracking and monitoring type features?

Thanks

Sutty
sutty is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post

... nor do I want them on a 31kg deep cell battery! There is no way guys with deep cells are going to want to pick them up to *bump* them on a charger :-D
Keep in mind the BUMP controller doesn't know what the tag is physically attached to. By mounting the tag on the battery it does make it quite difficult to misplace the tag. Howerver, you can easily mount the tag a something removable such as a small place of plastic and velcro it to the deep cycle. Now you just need to bump the tag to charge the deep cycle. The same goes for other batteries that are too heavy or too small to secure a tag to.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yeah, there's ways around it. That was just my way of saying I really don't want to buy bump tags for everything, there's definitely a use case to support both ways of charging :-)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Oh yeah, there's ways around it. That was just my way of saying I really don't want to buy bump tags for everything, there's definitely a use case to support both ways of charging :-)
I have no knowledge of the pricing structure for the tags, but I suspect they'll be inexpensive enough to use on everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in