Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Radikal G30 recent happenings

Hi guys (and girls),

I was out flying the G30 yesterday, trying to understand why the tail rotor would vibrate upon spool up, stop when full speed was reached, but then start again after any aggressive pitching.

This would cause the machine to vibrate wildly all over, causing it to be very difficult to control. I instantly thought that it was a resonance frequency playing havoc with my BD3SX, since I had just changed the throttle curve to give me a little higher headspeed at hover. Changing the gain seemed to have no effect.

Then I thought it could be the second bearing I put in the tail shaft. Mine was originally a belt drive, and the TT conversion only came with one bearing supporting the shaft halfway between the tail drive gear and the tail rotor. This was causing some issues with the torque tube hitting the inside of the tail shaft. The new V2 has two bearings, spaced equally to prevent this, so why shouldn't mine? This wasn't the problem, however.

I took a closer look at the tail and found out that the two bolts behind the vertical stabilizer were loose! This was causing the tail rotor shaft to become misaligned upon spool up and when aggressive pitch was applied.

So, I tightened it up and so far so good!

Then, suddenly the helicopter started to spin and pitch up and down, without input. I landed, and I noticed that the "gyro plate" I made to mount the BD3SX and receiver on had failed. I found some spare aluminum plates laying around, and since the gyro plate offered by Century was out of stock, I improvised and made my own. I had to create a double bend (what was I thinking ), such that the plate was attached at the tail transmission case, bent back away from the helicopter, and then back upon itself. This was necessary to create the proper centering of the BD3SX, since the mounting point on the tail transmission case didn't allow the plate to be centered if it was just bent at a right angle.

Well, the vibration from the motor caused it to fail at its weakest point, the 180 degree bend upon itself. luckily, the leads connected to the BD3SX did not have very far to go until they were secured with cable ties, so they helped to stabilize the unit even though it was free hanging. When the unit did become detached, it was caught by the servo leads and was still laying on top of the tail transmission case, so the helicopter wasn't really all that erratic (it was enough to make my heart thump though).

Century now has the plate in stock and guess what's on its way to my house

The screws behind the stabilizer
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (4).JPG
Views:	116
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	523956
A view of the plate I made

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	523957
Another view showing the plate bent upon itself

Name:	photo 1 (4).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	523958
helihammer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you were able to save it.
Hope you get your part soon.

Ted

I always have fun. Some times are more fun than others.
I can't remember half the crap I forgot.
strat1960s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Radikal G30 recent happenings

I've never been a fan of that gyro mounting plate. IMHO, gyro mounts need need to be absolutely dead sound wise. No ping or ting when you tap it with a metallic object.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in