Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 2 almost identical 700s except for the cyclic servos, almost but not quite made a huge mistake but noticed the swash was reversed.
Model match has its uses.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

And preflight would have caught the same thing, as apparently you did.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzlflyer View Post
I have 2 almost identical 700s except for the cyclic servos, almost but not quite made a huge mistake but noticed the swash was reversed.
Model match has its uses.
I'm puzzled panzlflyer as to what exactly this situation was and was wondering if you could elaborate on this a bit more.

Is it that you have two 700's with a model for each in the radio with what you mentioned above being the only dif, and flew one and then went to fly the other but forgot to change the model over?
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, , only difference between them is Align servos on one and Jr on the other, Vbar setups near identical so it didnt care either.
I use zero subtrim etc in the radio so they are nearly interchangable.
My 600 would probably fly okay on the 700s settings as well.
I am a Futaba user from the day I started, I did stray to Jr when Futaba dragged its heels on 2.4. but came back because I feel FAAST is a better link.
Is model match or something like it required? No, is it an added safety? Yes!
Ive seen guys fire up the wrong model at fly ins quite a few times, doesnt matter if I preflight, what a bout the other guy.

Last edited by panzlflyer; 12-21-2011 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: comment added
panzlflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well I am really not saying here that I don't agree that model match might be nice but on the other hand, I really kinda more look at and I don't mean to be mean here, but anyone who is at the level and has the equipment like this who does not go through the kinda of stuff to be sure they are flying the right model on their radio, that this really is a 100% fault on them.

Again, not trying to start anything here but kinda feel we are almost pointing the finger at Futaba here that they are doing something wrong here by not more stupid proofing things for us so we don't have to worry about being even at the most min level, properly responsible.

Anyway, other then that too, again like I said before, if you did have the model match and you did what you did, would you have preferred that you just plugged in a 700 with absolutely no radio in any form of connection to it?

Its kinda funny as I didn't think of that point I had recently made at first but the more I thought about it, and I don't know this for sure, but I would bet that Futaba made a choice of either we can have model match, but then if someone plugs in power to what ever they have but is not on the model, having that means zero connection to it with no way to control it in anyway should it somehow get powered....or have it the way that have it now where yeah, you might have forgotten to switch the models and now its functional, but at least you have probably some chance of controlling something you just plug in.

I'm really not sure but I would think you can't have it both ways and for me, I would rather have it the way Futaba has it now rather the have the model match.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Model Match is a copyrighted feature, Futaba can't use it for X amount of years (think back to when Chrysler put the sliding door on the drivers side of the minivans, same deal).
Futaba does have a model select feature that you can either use or not in the 8FG software, but again, like many have said, there are a lot of pilots out there who expect their equipment to point out their faults. Shame on them for not preflighting a model properly.

Have you ever watched the jet guys up close? With the turbines now, they have their checklist printed, laminated and use it before every flight.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

You really have to try the "other" systems, if you plug a unit in with model match the reciever does nothing if the wrong one is selected, no throttle/esc arming.
Theres a lot out there who dont have jets or 700s and there are a lot who have the money to buy big stuff and no experience.
Btw I did my mistake on a 8fg with its tiny screen and no reading glasses.
Glad you guys never made a mistake.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
You really have to try the "other" systems, if you plug a unit in with model match the reciever does nothing if the wrong one is selected, no throttle/esc arming.
Yes I know it works that way. Basically it works that way as the ESC has power but is not seeing a Zero throttle signal so it does not arm itself.

But as far as I know this has nothing to do with the model match radio system over a non-match at all.

All in all its just the same as if you plugged in the ESC with no radio on at all.

Which is kinda my point, you are now completely relying on that ESC to not arm as your only protection of having a completely uncontrolled helo on your hands.

Like I said in my other posts, if you ever talked to anyone about plugging in your helo, especially something like a 700, without turning on your Tx first they would tell you, you were nuts to do such a thing. And I know for one if you ever brought a helo to a club and regularly did that, they would kick you right out.

So to do the same thing with a Tx the has a model match but not switch it by mistake but plug in the helo, then just what is the difference between that and not having any radio on for it at all?

As far as I can tell, there isn't any.

All in all, like I said, if I had a choice, I would rather have the wrong model on my Tx at least transmitting some kind of control to my helo, then have nothing going to it at all but plugged in, which I think is just what you would have if with a model match system you didn't change the model to the right one first.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only have one electric and view it with suspicion everytime I turn it on, just in case it hot starts.

Control of the failsafe settings and servo positions is stored in the Spektrum reciever,at bind, newer units have last position hold or a stored position with throttle position on both so the esc/motor is not going to see nothing.

Futaba updates the failsafe positions to the reciever via the transmitter, used to be every 60 seconds on pcm
In the ppm days you had nothing if the signal was lost.
In either system you are never left with no signal to onboard devices if the radio is off.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #30 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
In either system you are never left with no signal to onboard devices if the radio is off.
How can you say the system has a signal if the radio is off????

Trust me I understood all of what you just said but the simple fact is if the radio is off, or the is off due to the fact that you have a model match system but forgot to switch the model, then just what Tx signal is it getting then???

In the end I gotta say, this conversation is getting a bit ridiculous, you really seem convinced model match and plugging in things like a 700 with no Tx signal is the only good thing to keep everyone in the best way and to tell you the truth, getting a bit tired of going back and forth on this.

One, like I have said in the past, until you said of it, in all my years I personally have never, nor have I have seen or ever herd of someone who had forgotten something as simple and almost, how you could miss this, as not switching to another model for the very model they had in front of them. And with you being the first one I'm kinda surprised in talking about things with such knowledge and talking about how much attention you spend with starting up your one and only electric that you would be someone who would do this.

With just as well, looking at all the stuff you have and being a HeliDirect field rep you would be that careless as well. Kinda really makes me wonder. Almost kinda makes me wonder too if we shouldn't have the people from the AMA have a little refresher course of the basic first AMA safety rule that allows you to be a member of theirs of do not operate your equipment "in a careless or reckless manner" with you.

But I guess you are good example there are some people who just are going to do the wrong thing no matter what things are put in place and for these types that are this way, I'm sure they could just as easy do something else to do something wrong even with model match. Which in a ironic way, kinda make model match just as much a moot point as everything else that has been said about it.

Its kinda like the old saying that you could put a thousand safeties on a gun, but if you give it to a monkey, sooner or later he is going to figure out a way to shoot himself in the foot with it.

So like I also said, if you are that knowing that you are that inept...then by all means buy a radio that has model match so you can plug in your helos with no signals and absolutely no ability to control it an hope all the other stuff keeps its from killing you or someone else.

All I can say is for those who are like this, please ...if you have the capability to read a map or a street sign, please stay clear of lower Fairfield County CT for your flying as I rather value mine as well as others life and property....as a matter of fact, please stay clear of it for anything else as well...thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. I did preflight and caught the problem, whats your point here?
2.Futaba doesnt store failsafe in the reciever so there is no signal, your right there.
3.I was not aware of saying anything that would cause a personal attack.
Have a good holiday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in