Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X Brushless Mods

nano CP X Brushless Mods Blade nano CP X Brushless Mods Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I am optimistic that I may have a BL setup very soon. I messed up my ESC on Monday..... Placed my order for a replacement and Dylan got it out on Tuesday. Just came in the mail today! Great service and fast too...... Hope to get it working when I get the kids to bed.....

Kudos to Dylwad for a great service...... Thanks alot and I appreciate the extra help too......
Bjanzen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay.... I did get the ESC connected and working in my Nano. Took a few couple test flights. First one was inside and it felt okay... not much better than stock but okay,. Took it outside but it was worse. I brought it back inside and checked the thrust on my digital scale..... it holds at about 26 grams Not sure what is going on. Is there some throttle calibration that needs to be done? Dylwad sent it to me flashed with 7.0 and I get the right arming beeps. I am running stock batteries and stock 7t pinion..... something is wrong here but not sure what. Is there any special radio setup like throttle curve other than flat 100%??

Barry
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post some pics of your wiring, and check gear mesh isn't too tight
Old 10-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

For an intermediate level flier, will a brushless upgrade render the Nano too hot to handle for indoor flight?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Noise

Stock nanos are quiet. I really like that.

But I will go brushless soon (Dylan, thank you) and NOISY. I will probably have to keep a stock quiet one around for real relaxation indoors. Too bad I can't turn down the sound like on my laptop...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I really think the mesh is good.... Can feel a slight tick in it. The pinion is Loctite on. Could silver solder is needed. Tried three different batteries. All gave me simila results.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try re soldering the motor leads( one of the wires in the 3 pairs might not be making good contact) and get rid of the plug on the esc.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And use some hot glue to secure the connectors.
Ha.kan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where can I buy this kit, how much, and plug'n'play?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got chance for the first time in well over week due to the weather to take both Nano & BL Nano to field & have a chance to fly them both and really compare.

Had a blast flying both of them as they definitely have different flight characteristics. My BL Nano is quite heavy weighing in at around 35-36g but that is with 7-8g 300mah nanotech batteries, so it felt a little less nimble that the stock Nano but had just so more power and speed that made flying fast circuits so much more fun, but now this one is a little too scary and fast for inside.

Also did a battery test & the BL Nano and 7-8 minutes in I still hadn't hit LVC but I could tell that it wasn't that far off, but got a great 6:00 mins of power running at 100% TC so I'm able to have loads more flight time with this BL setup.

All in all a great day, just now hoping for more good weather over the next few days so can get some more practice in.

Strangedaze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope the experts can weigh in here.

Looks like Hobby King now sells an ESC for the mcpx (complete with the appropriate battery connectors). http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elicopter.html Very plug and play friendly.

Any comments on this as an starting point for an mcpx brushless conversion? I know, this is the nano thread, not the mcpx, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before HK adds a similar ESC in the nano/msrx range. If this ESC for the mcpx is no good, then there's no use holding my breath for a nano sized product.

Speaking of something more nano sized (maybe?), HK also has a 7A ESC in their 'micro heli' line. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_heli_.html It's not clear to me whether this is a full on brushed to brushless converter, or just a brushless ESC. Maybe someone with their hands on one can answer?

And finally, here's something I find really interesting.

This is a 'dual' brushless board for the mcpx http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._100_etc_.html

Supposedly it runs the BLHeli firmware, so it's also completely plug and play. It contains a 10A main ESC and a 3A tail ESC. From the picture, it looks very much like 2 distinct brushless controllers assembled on a common board. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could slice this board in two with a dremel, add a second set of power wires and end up with both an mcpx brushless ESC 'and' a nano ESC from the same package (a bonus if you happen to have both!).

Is 3A enough for an nano? Maybe the fets can be doubled up for more power?
fightingmosquitoes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default starting point for a BL nCPX or n CPX

AD = a good starting point. ="Astroid" <astroid@cox.net> = Dylan Steward

Astroid Designs- Dylan will have what you need. Dylan supplies XP3A (flashed and /or with BLheli plug) and lots of other things that he developed and tested for electric micros.

Which is better:??

$8.86 for an XP3A in Hong Kong that needs BLheli code, 9 or 10 wires soldered to it and a BLheli plug

OR

A flashed XP3A in Arizona with BLheli plug and wires already soldered for motor, signal and battery for what $20 or $25? Cheap!

When I buy from Dylan I buy American. USA content - Dylan's R&D, CF parts (that are better that MH , even on an MH frame), and awesome skills.

The DBL mCPXs that Dylan has fixed up for me are the best helis I have ever owned. I will have him fix my first nano soon...
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. waiting on dylan. I ordered batteries 3 weeks ago from HK, not here yet.
Jebsmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

which batteries did you order?
to tall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingmosquitoes View Post
I hope the experts can weigh in here.

Looks like Hobby King now sells an ESC for the mcpx (complete with the appropriate battery connectors). http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elicopter.html Very plug and play friendly.

Any comments on this as an starting point for an mcpx brushless conversion? I know, this is the nano thread, not the mcpx, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before HK adds a similar ESC in the nano/msrx range. If this ESC for the mcpx is no good, then there's no use holding my breath for a nano sized product.

Speaking of something more nano sized (maybe?), HK also has a 7A ESC in their 'micro heli' line. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_heli_.html It's not clear to me whether this is a full on brushed to brushless converter, or just a brushless ESC. Maybe someone with their hands on one can answer?

And finally, here's something I find really interesting.

This is a 'dual' brushless board for the mcpx http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._100_etc_.html

Supposedly it runs the BLHeli firmware, so it's also completely plug and play. It contains a 10A main ESC and a 3A tail ESC. From the picture, it looks very much like 2 distinct brushless controllers assembled on a common board. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could slice this board in two with a dremel, add a second set of power wires and end up with both an mcpx brushless ESC 'and' a nano ESC from the same package (a bonus if you happen to have both!).

Is 3A enough for an nano? Maybe the fets can be doubled up for more power?
None of those esc's are going to be ideal unless you plan on going crazy powerful like an HP05 and a HP03 on tail which will kinda defeat the purpose of how light and durable the Nano is.

Board only (that is no wires at all) they are all going to be around the 1.5g mark whereas the more suitable esc's (XP-3A and Supermicro 3.5A) are around 0.4g board only. These can be flashed with Blheli https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517 or the 3A can be purchased pre-flashed from Astroid designs and Topcopter etc.

Imo plug and play for the Nano is not a sensible option. Copper (wires) weigh alot and with a pnp there is just too much wiring required and also taking the signal from the motor plug will likely have the same linearity issues as it did on the mcpx and why most solder direct to the resistor.

The 3A-ish esc's running Blheli are going to be the best option and properly suited to the Nano (both current ability and weight).

Amp
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 10a pnp esc that I got from topcopters and it's the same one that dylan has and the same one on hk's web site. It works fine with the mcpx v2 board and I was running the nano board on my mcpx for a while and it worked great with that too. From Dylan's site, "Good throttle linearity Plug and play on the V2 board." I direct soldered the power wires to cut down on weight. I also removed the shrink wrap and removed the motor plug and soldered the motor wires directly to the esc. As Amp said, I agree it's a good option for hp05, 06, motors which may be too heavy and defeat the purpose of the nano. I like it for the mcpx though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
None of those esc's are going to be ideal unless you plan on going crazy powerful like an HP05 and a HP03 on tail which will kinda defeat the purpose of how light and durable the Nano is.

Board only (that is no wires at all) they are all going to be around the 1.5g mark whereas the more suitable esc's (XP-3A and Supermicro 3.5A) are around 0.4g board only. These can be flashed with Blheli https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517 or the 3A can be purchased pre-flashed from Astroid designs and Topcopter etc.

Imo plug and play for the Nano is not a sensible option. Copper (wires) weigh alot and with a pnp there is just too much wiring required and also taking the signal from the motor plug will likely have the same linearity issues as it did on the mcpx and why most solder direct to the resistor.

The 3A-ish esc's running Blheli are going to be the best option and properly suited to the Nano (both current ability and weight).

Amp
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any idea Dylan on when the esc/motor will be available?
Chris20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the esc is fine, just any xp3a or supermicro 3amp should do, I think Oversky is yanking his chain. They should know there any many chomping at the bit for a brushless motor.

Wouldn't this motor work with Dylans ring adapter?
http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?m...&products_id=2
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a few issues with my BL setup the last few days which were probably due to crashes at the field the other week which turned out to be a cracked main shaft and now I also think due to play in swashplate which makes vibes even worse and the higher head speeds.. (AEO M5 motor)

I'm now playing with the idea which so far appears to be a big improvement on my last setup. This time I've modified the mainshaft so it's pretty much 100% MCPX mainshaft with just the Nano Head/blade grips attached so that I can now use my MH MCPX swashplate but still use nano links to connect to the blade grips.

After a few simple tests inside this just appears to make the heli so much more solid in the air which may be due to almost zero play in the swashplate... Now that it feels a lot more solid I might even consider putting a slightly larger motor in it and turn it into a complete speed monster as this one certainly aint going to be a light BL Nano/Mcpx hybrid I might as well make it a power beast... but probably best till I see how this setup holds down at the field tomorrow first.

Changes..

1. MCPX mainshaft cut sorter..
2. Nano main shaft simply inserted into in top of previous cut short MCPX mainshaft..
3. Slighty modified McpX Swashlinks.. Plastic mount Cut shorter so that they go a bit lower..
4. Cut AR guide from frame and CA'd at the Back so can use MH rear AR guide pin too..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	360455   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	360456   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	360457   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	360458   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	360459  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	360460   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	360464  
Strangedaze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well mine finally arrived. They have still not been released in Australia yet so I ordered from the US.

Had it a week and it's now running bl main. Stock it flies nicer than an mcpx for sure. I wanted less bog and just a little more pop while still retaining the weight and quietness.

Of course first stop for anything for these micro blade helis is Astroid Designs http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com/
Already ordered my BLheli 3A esc from Dylan a few weeks ago as well as a couple pinions etc

Pretty happy with the results.

3A esc with Blheli in arm mode (governer). Arm mode allows you to set the target governed throttle value (currently 62) and use the idle up curve to adjust the precomp mix to the tail. Don't know how the Blheli guys do this but it is awesome. When the Nano was stock at the top of a hard climb if you instantly decrease the pitch and start descending the tail would stop late and the nose would actually go a little to the right. There is a mix built into the 3in1 and the gyro deviates the tail as neccessary from this mix. Anyway I think this mix is too great at zero pitch (in their firmware) and this causes the nose right as the gyro has to do too much work and this delay of gyro > mcu > change the tail rpm causes this issue.
What arm mode allows is to drop the centre point of the throttle idle up curve (which is now your tail pre comp curve) and gets the tail power more in line with what is necessary so the tail is more or less correct already. 100, 35, 100 and the tail is spot on. It is better in initial pitch punch too. Running 92 pitch limit. Suprisingly I'm really happy with the tail. It behaves as good as by Blheli HP03 tail on my stretched Mcpx running HP08 13500Kv and suits this heli really well.
The governor is darn awesome too. Really this firmware is excellent.

Back to what I'm using.
3A esc

26awg wire straight to esc and then from esc to front of board

Stock packs (tried Nano and Turnigy 160's. Nanos are better but stock are the best)

Hawk 12000Kv tail motor (six magnet and 3.2g). I also have one of the HK 12000Kv's which look almost identical but the HK have a 0.9mm -ish shaft wheras hawk have just a hair over a 1mm shaft. Motor diameter is bigger than HP03 (tail version is all I have) so the servos are spaced about 4mm out. The motor has a 7mm mount so had to shim it with shrink tube and a spacer ring ca'd in. Shaft also had to be reversed. Alot more fiddly than the motor Dylan is getting made and I'd guess the HP03 13500Kv may have more power..hard to quantify though HP03s 13500Kv on 7T and Hawk 12000Kv on 8T give very similar numbers on headspeed calculators. Dylan's motor and his adjustable collar for gear mesh is going to be the sweetest option though. I'm impatient and didn't want to buy even one 20 cent Horizon motor for $13.

Solo pro 125A tail rotor (almost no performance difference from the stock and white)

Kbdd white LG with centre trimmed out. Would like a white version of the stock for visability. These are 0.5g heavier than stock but I can see the heli at night.

Solo pro 270 canopy trimmed (0.2g heavier than stock but white and not $13!)

Stock tail motor in an old tail box from Mircoheli concepts and fin to suit (this fin was
actually drawn by Dylan for Microheliconcepts a few years back!)

Also strengthened the front and rear canopy pins as there is a bit of work in this frame and there are no parts here yet. Front get spanned with 1mm cf and rear are shrouded in shrink tube that was shrunk with ca in it.

Heli no lipo weighs in at 26.56g. Stock it was 25.33. It would actually be lighter than stock I had just gone bl and not done anything else.

Power is alot better than stock. Virtually no bog and tail stays true even when I try to force deviation. 8T would be better but when I ca'd the motor in the lash on 8T was a little too big so I ran with 9T.

Flight time is pretty much unchanged. Timer set to 3:10 of 3d. Heli is still quiet and feels 50% more powerful than stock without the bog.

I'll try and get a vid in the next few days.

Amp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-10-26_09-54-48_312.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	360469   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26_09-54-58_984.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	360470   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-23_17-18-36_976.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	360471   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-23_16-33-23_429.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	360472   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-23_16-21-53_917.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	360473  

Name:	2012-10-23_16-22-22_578.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	360474  
Ampdraw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in