Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just bought a new mSR......

I just purchased a new mSR and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I knew it was discontinued and I considered a few other choices (Trex 100X, V911 Pro, Nine Eagles 720A) but decided I just had to get another Blade. I wanted something other than my MCX2 to fly indoors. I may also try some outdoor flight if the wind cooperates. So exactly how long has this been discontinued? Parts support still looks to be very good, I plan on stocking up on a lot of things while I can. Should be fun!!
crashrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mSR was discontinued, then re-introduced with a smaller / cheaper charger...and discontinued again

Parts should be around for awhile...

If you'll cover shipping, I have some NIP mSR parts you can have

A PM will get them coming to you
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashrc View Post
I just purchased a new mSR and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I knew it was discontinued and I considered a few other choices (Trex 100X, V911 Pro, Nine Eagles 720A) but decided I just had to get another Blade. I wanted something other than my MCX2 to fly indoors. I may also try some outdoor flight if the wind cooperates. So exactly how long has this been discontinued? Parts support still looks to be very good, I plan on stocking up on a lot of things while I can. Should be fun!!
There are still pleny of parts. Some are interchangeable with MSRX. I'd get some blade grips. skids, rotor blades, main blades and maybe a spare frame. Canopy pins do break easy on the MSR.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was in the same boat a couple months ago. I picked up a new mSR off eBay as my first heli based on the recommendation of a friend. I've since moved up to the mSR X, which I would highly recommend once you get the hang of the mSR. I still enjoy flying the mSR though.

Parts for the mSR were easy to find at my LHS, and I've also picked up a few extra items on eBay. Mine came with an extra fly bar and blades, but if yours didn't, then I'd suggest an extra set of each. From what I understand the fly bar will wear out, although mine hasn't yet. You will definitely need a couple extra landing skids. They're extremely fragile, and I've gone through two already.

You will more than likely experience TBE, or Toilet Bowl Effect, with the mSR. It can be frustrating at times when you're just learning to fly the mSR, but you'll learn to live with it. There are plenty of posts around about it, and several possible fixes. It varies in intensity and I just chose to live with it rather than trying to modify the mSR. By the time you get frustrated enough to try and modify the mSR you'd be better off moving up to the mSR X which doesn't suffer from TBE at all.

Have fun with your new mSR!
DSM97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flew the mSR for the first time late last night - it's a strange beast for sure! Can't get over how the main shaft is canted to the right and the anti rotation bracket is off-center from the middle of the frame. First flight was uncontrollable, would only do large clockwise circles in the room. Afterward I noticed the flybar was bowed up severely on both sides, so I replaced it. Rotor blades were also too loose so I tightened them a tad (they still fall freely, just took some of the slop out). It flew better on the second flight but is still off. I'm going to take it to the ball field where I have more room and see what I need to do to trim the thing.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Flew the mSR for the first time late last night - it's a strange beast for sure! Can't get over how the main shaft is canted to the right and the anti rotation bracket is off-center from the middle of the frame. First flight was uncontrollable, would only do large clockwise circles in the room. Afterward I noticed the flybar was bowed up severely on both sides, so I replaced it. Rotor blades were also too loose so I tightened them a tad (they still fall freely, just took some of the slop out). It flew better on the second flight but is still off. I'm going to take it to the ball field where I have more room and see what I need to do to trim the thing.
Best of luck, and Happy Flying.

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What radio are you using? I used to use the stock one until I got a DX6i and now a DX6. Lot better with a computer radio. If you have one, spend $10 and download J. Salts E-Book and program in his settings. Will fly like a totally different animal!

Here is the link!

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html

Old 07-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
What radio are you using? I used to use the stock one until I got a DX6i and now a DX6. Lot better with a computer radio. If you have one, spend $10 and download J. Salts E-Book and program in his settings. Will fly like a totally different animal!

Here is the link!

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html
I have a DX6i that I use with my 200 SRX, I love that radio! I will check out the link, it would be nice to have the mSR programmed into it - I'm using the RTF radio right now. I took it to the ball park today and when the wind wasn't pushing me around it actually flew pretty well. Very different than in my living room - is it possible my room is too small and I was getting some ground effect/prop wash from walls, furniture, ect?? I had to trim the rudder some to keep the nose from turning, but I think I left my other trims at neutral and it wasn't bad at all. Thanks for the link!!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have a DX6i that I use with my 200 SRX, I love that radio! I will check out the link, it would be nice to have the mSR programmed into it - I'm using the RTF radio right now. I took it to the ball park today and when the wind wasn't pushing me around it actually flew pretty well. Very different than in my living room - is it possible my room is too small and I was getting some ground effect/prop wash from walls, furniture, ect?? I had to trim the rudder some to keep the nose from turning, but I think I left my other trims at neutral and it wasn't bad at all. Thanks for the link!!
Very possible on the ground effect.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM97 View Post
I was in the same boat a couple months ago. I picked up a new mSR off eBay as my first heli based on the recommendation of a friend. I've since moved up to the mSR X, which I would highly recommend once you get the hang of the mSR. I still enjoy flying the mSR though.

Parts for the mSR were easy to find at my LHS, and I've also picked up a few extra items on eBay. Mine came with an extra fly bar and blades, but if yours didn't, then I'd suggest an extra set of each. From what I understand the fly bar will wear out, although mine hasn't yet. You will definitely need a couple extra landing skids. They're extremely fragile, and I've gone through two already.

You will more than likely experience TBE, or Toilet Bowl Effect, with the mSR. It can be frustrating at times when you're just learning to fly the mSR, but you'll learn to live with it. There are plenty of posts around about it, and several possible fixes. It varies in intensity and I just chose to live with it rather than trying to modify the mSR. By the time you get frustrated enough to try and modify the mSR you'd be better off moving up to the mSR X which doesn't suffer from TBE at all.

Have fun with your new mSR!
I was originally looking for an mSR X as I was curious about the flybarless design. I couldn't find one at a price I liked so I got the mSR, it was $80 and the mSR X was around $140 or so. I think I may try to acquire one anyway to add to the fleet. Does the mSR X have the slanted main shaft like the mSR? My eyes are still having trouble adjusting to that.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you made the right choice going with the mSR first, coming from a coaxial. The mSRX is definitely a different beast, and although I've found it much more exciting to fly, I don't regret starting with the mSR.

I definitely recommend picking up the mSRX for your fleet. You will not regret it!

The main shaft on the mSRX isn't slanted, but you will notice that the whole heli has a slight lean to the right when hovering. It doesn't affect the flight in any way, it's just a bit off putting at first, kind of like the slanted main shaft on the mSR, but it's perfectly normal.
DSM97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today was an eventful day, I bound my mSR to my DX6i and have been hovering in our bedroom, which has turned out to be a good practice space. Two things I have learned: air really makes an impact on these little guys (duh revelation - I closed the cooler vents in our room before flying) and the DX6i really does transform this thing (thanks for the tip Pfloyd).

My only issue is slow counterclockwise rotation, almost like a slow piro. Trimming the rudder the opposite way has stopped it - should I be concerned or is trimming it out acceptable? I also noticed fast counterclockwise piros are slower than clockwise. Is that normal, or is something going out on me? I don't typically do fast piros, I just wanted to push it to see what it could do. Even with the rudder issue flying it was a blast! Going to bind my MCX2 to my DX6i when I'm satisfied with how the mSR is set up.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine piros faster one way over the other, but can't remember which is faster. I think it has to do with being a motor driven, variable speed tail instead of CP driven at a constant speed.

Trim isn't an issue with flybar helies, so don't worry about that. If you get the mSRX or any other flybarless helies, then you DO NOT trim those. Basically the flybarless unit will mistake trim for actual input and cause bad things to happen. It is best to try and balance any flybar heli to need as little trim as possible, but that's usually for elevator control due to a battery being slightly out of position.

The leaning and/or tilted main shafts are nothing to be concerned with. Because the tail rotor gives a sideways thrust while counteracting rotor torque, any heli will want to drift in that direction (usually to the left). Tilting the main rotor to apply a little opposing thrust during hover keeps it more or less neutral. You'll see this when getting light on the skids but not enough for the heli to tilt like in a hover. The main rotor won't provide that countering thrust, so it'll tend to slide left across the floor until you get it fully in the air.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

when and if you do bind it to the dx6i it is a totally different handling bird. I have 2 msr and on the dx6i they fly like a dream you will love it. My local shop he carries all kinds of parts for the msr yet. I think they will be available for quite some time.
sooners is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in