Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
tshead
Registered Users

Default Happy with my 150X

For context, Iím new to RC helis, and have gone from an mCX2 to a Nano CPS, and now the 150X. I do not want anything larger. Here are some early impressions:

* I've had no problems binding the 150X, GRS firmware version 1.1, Spektrum 9645 receiver, iPhone GRS APP 1.1, and my DX8G2 transmitter.

* Squeezing the 9645 into the available space was a bear, and getting the canopy on with it installed is more difficult than I would like. I got the 9645 for the name brand, in hindsight I wish Iíd gone with something smaller.

* As I posted elsewhere, I had trouble early-on getting the batteries to fully ďclickĒ into position so theyíd stay put during flight. In hindsight, I think that the 9645 was slightly distorting the canopy and causing this issue.

* After a minor crash, a split developed along the bottom of the canopy. Although itís unsightly and removes what little structural integrity the canopy provides, it made my battery insertion problem go away completely - I now have no trouble inserting batteries, and they stay put.

* The paint is starting to flake-off the canopy. Iíll partly own this as a consequence of all the manhandling the canopy has gotten while I tried to insert batteries, but I do think the paint ought to stick a little better.

* The same crash that split the canopy broke a gear in the rear servo. Iíll definitely be doing the servo saver mod when the new gears arrive. I was warned in advance, so Iíll own this one.

* Iíve broken one set of main blades. Again, my own fault. I will say for others coming from the mCX2 / Nano that the 150X is an entirely different world when it comes to the power in the blades - you just canít bump into the wall and expect the blades to survive like youíre accustomed to.

* Iím incredibly happy with the power and precision flying the 150X. It feels like itís on rails, has power to spare, and the Nano just seems like mush in comparison now.

* Did I mention the power? For people in normal-sized houses, Iíd say the 150X is pushing the envelope of what Iíd consider sensible indoor flying.

So in summary, all of my problems have been of my own making. I know others have had different experiences, but Iíd say come on in, the waterís fine.

Cheers,
Tim
tshead is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
krauley
Registered Users

if you dont plan on using the dsmx sat on anything else i suggest taking it out of the hard case, it will fit under the main box with ease. just use some good double sided sticky

and although i crashed within seconds on this thing i agree, i was my fault trying to start it up a small place. waiting on servo arms and will do a servo saver mod on them.
PL6 w/Bump Controller-24v PS DX8 gen2
krauley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
prairie ville
Registered Users

DX8, Phoenix R/C 5.5 ,Hyperion 720i DUO w/ MW 600 PS, Walkera 4G#6S,Trex 250 se, mCPXv1, mSRX, mSR, Trex 150X, Blade SR
Quote: " If you want someones opinion, make sure their paycheck doesnt depend on it"
prairie ville is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
tshead
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
if you dont plan on using the dsmx sat on anything else i suggest taking it out of the hard case, it will fit under the main box with ease. just use some good double sided sticky
Thanks for the suggestion, it wouldn't have occurred to me to crack the thing open. I'll probably try to find an aftermarket canopy with a little more volume, but if I can't find one I'll try this next.

Cheers,
Tim
tshead is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
jujiro85
Registered Users

Yea I ended up intentionally cutting the bottom of my canopy like that just because of the troubles with the battery.I ironed out most of my problems except for this annoying thing it does where it will suddenly pitch down and drop a foot or 2 before I correct it @_@ .

other than that I'd say it's a great heli feels pretty stable in flight even in some brisk wind .
jujiro85 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
ic-racer
Registered Users

I taught myself on a T-rex 150. I consider the canopy like tires on an RC car. Something that will get replaced frequently. I can say the fiberglass one I have now is lasting pretty well.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
krauley
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshead View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, it wouldn't have occurred to me to crack the thing open. I'll probably try to find an aftermarket canopy with a little more volume, but if I can't find one I'll try this next.

Cheers,
Tim
didnt occur to me either lol a guy at Enterprise Hobby suggested it to me over the phone yesterday. i want to give him credit but im so bad with names, he is the one that does tech support and shoots the videos for that site. im sorry i forgot your name......but thanks again. it worked great
PL6 w/Bump Controller-24v PS DX8 gen2
krauley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
bmc76
Registered Users

Wow something positive, glad someone is having fun with it. I'll give it another go Monday when my parts come in.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
t_austin
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujiro85 View Post
Yea I ended up intentionally cutting the bottom of my canopy like that just because of the troubles with the battery.I ironed out most of my problems except for this annoying thing it does where it will suddenly pitch down and drop a foot or 2 before I correct it @_@ .

other than that I'd say it's a great heli feels pretty stable in flight even in some brisk wind .
Mine was doing this also until I reverted back to the original firmware and everything seems to be g to g now.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
prairie ville
Registered Users

And with the canopy, you can also re-drill new holes back by about 1/4 of an inch to move the canopy forward and use the original grommets in the new holes. And this method will also help with the tail heavy CG problem, removing more material from the front of the heli wont. A fiberglass canopy should help also.

#HelifreakR&D
DX8, Phoenix R/C 5.5 ,Hyperion 720i DUO w/ MW 600 PS, Walkera 4G#6S,Trex 250 se, mCPXv1, mSRX, mSR, Trex 150X, Blade SR
Quote: " If you want someones opinion, make sure their paycheck doesnt depend on it"

Last edited by prairie ville; 12-05-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Old 12-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #11
3D Ambitions
Registered Users

The stock Trex 150 canopy has always been horrible quality, it'll tear like paper mache the first time you crash with it. Get your a fiber glass canopy.
3D Ambitions is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #12
starryalley
Registered Users

Glad to hear positive news.

Here is my damage report after more than 5 hard crashes (2 on concrete, others on grass):

1. 3 times bent tail boom. No problem just bend it back and fly. Tail motor still holds well and it is intact. Maybe I'm lucky.
2. broken canopy. No problem, fix with tape
3. many times of fallen out servos, no problem just push it back
4. loosen screws in the rotor head. no problem.
5. loosen pinion gear. Just glue it back with R48. Never came loose again.
6. stripped main gear: 3 times --> first the TH didn't work (my problem) so it's on me. Second time, it stripped in the gear's center part, which fits the main shaft. So it won't bite against the shaft so it can turn freely. It is a result of low altitude crash even I hit TH but I wasn't quick enough I think. Third time I stripped the gears again probably because I crashed with full throttle in low altitude again.
7. broken skid in the battery holder

The thing is definitely crash resistant. The main shaft just won't bend at all. So far I only replaced main gear and the skid. Nothing else is broken.
starryalley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #13
jujiro85
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_austin View Post
Mine was doing this also until I reverted back to the original firmware and everything seems to be g to g now.
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll have to give that a try since I just upgraded it straight to 1.1 before the maiden I didn't even think to try that
jujiro85 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
cm930
Registered Users

Default Happy for now.

After getting a DSMX sat (from DSM 2) and downgrading firmware to 1.0.2, I am reasonable happy with my 150X, after 6 flights.

Had a 150 that I flew for 2 year until the FBL unit gave out, after changing many many parts to fix various problems.

Improvement over 150 that I like
1. More power and better tail-lock in windy conditions and during pitch pumps.
2. Gyro seems less affected by vibration from bent feathering shaft, warped main gear, or unbalanced blades. I had to balance every new blade on my old 150, but didn't balance my 150X blades at all, even after replacement of a broken one.
2. DSM sat cable no longer rub against the canopy and transmit vibration to the FBL unit, causing it to peel off eventually (Align moved the connector to the top instead of the of side).
3. Main shaft is now steel instead of aluminum and more durable (old one used to bend easily).

Dislike:
1. Canopy still rubs against the battery, preventing full insertion, causing it to fall out occasionally.
2. Canopy paint still peel easily. My new 150X had peeled paints as well.
3. Tail boom is still aluminium, which bends easily, instead of carbon, like pretty much every other micro. I changed my 150 boom to carbon tube.

Suggestions to new buyers of 150X:
1. Get a fiber-glass canopy immediately. It is harder and will protect the FBL better. Also, the paint will peel less (and only chip in a crash instead of peel).
2. Cut the bottom of the canopy to prevent occasional battery fall-out. This will weaken the canopy, so it's better to get the fiber-glass ones.
3. Do the servo saver mod immediately. Never stripped a gear in my 150 after countless hard crashes, and already saved my 150X servos (both front ones).

Hope this helps.
cm930 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #15
prairie ville
Registered Users

Very comprehensive, thanks for sharing......
And thanks for bringing to light the roll back of the firmware version to fix the motor cut off issue. You had that first on RCGroups and I seen it and passed it along to Helifreakers. Full credit goes to you Sir.

HelifreakR&D
Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #16
prairie ville
Registered Users

Well, appears like 150X owners get hosed again. If I read Align Taiwan website correctly. If you purchase the GRS board(HEG15002), you`ll also have to also purchase the ESC board(HEG15003) separately and have to put them together your self. I looked at mine very carefully and it looks to me, the boards are soldered together. Please prove me wrong......

And if you can get them in the first place..............

HelifreakR&D

Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #17
cm930
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie ville View Post
Well, appears like 150X owners get hosed again. If I read Align Taiwan website correctly. If you purchase the GRS board(HEG15002), you`ll also have to also purchase the ESC board(HEG15003) separately and have to put them together your self. I looked at mine very carefully and it looks to me, the boards are soldered together. Please prove me wrong......

And if you can get them in the first place..............

HelifreakR&D

Yes, that's my understanding as well after reading forum posts in Align's website (Gyro and ESC board must be purchased separately and then soldered together).

One of the posts from Team Align says separate boards makes it easier for Align when 150X are sent in for repair.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #18
bmc76
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm930 View Post
Yes, that's my understanding as well after reading forum posts in Align's website (Gyro and ESC board must be purchased separately and then soldered together).

One of the posts from Team Align says separate boards makes it easier for Align when 150X are sent in for repair.
Anyone saying how difficult is it to separate the boards? I see 2 front single pins that are probably just for support but in the rear there are 3 pins on each side, I imagine it will be a hassle for a owner to line everything back up and solder back together. I'm pretty good at soldering but this looks like a pain.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
cm930
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc76 View Post
Anyone saying how difficult is it to separate the boards? I see 2 front single pins that are probably just for support but in the rear there are 3 pins on each side, I imagine it will be a hassle for a owner to line everything back up and solder back together. I'm pretty good at soldering but this looks like a pain.
Not that I know of, unfortunately.

There was a request on the forum for the availability of a part with the two boards soldered together already, but no official reply yet.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:36 AM   #20
starryalley
Registered Users

Quite a few other crashes on mine. Here are my additional broken parts:

- bent spindle. It's so bent that I lost one bearing on one end too. (unable to get it off)
- bent lower cover on the central/rear servo, so it's now super easy for the servo to fall out (replacement: http://www.aligntrexstore.com/DS155-...01_p_2850.html)
- a broken rotor linkage

All the damages are results from landing error on a confined landing area in brisk wind (hitting concrete things around).

So far still so good. No unexpected breakdown.
I'll keep abusing it while enhancing my skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryalley View Post
Glad to hear positive news.

Here is my damage report after more than 5 hard crashes (2 on concrete, others on grass):

1. 3 times bent tail boom. No problem just bend it back and fly. Tail motor still holds well and it is intact. Maybe I'm lucky.
2. broken canopy. No problem, fix with tape
3. many times of fallen out servos, no problem just push it back
4. loosen screws in the rotor head. no problem.
5. loosen pinion gear. Just glue it back with R48. Never came loose again.
6. stripped main gear: 3 times --> first the TH didn't work (my problem) so it's on me. Second time, it stripped in the gear's center part, which fits the main shaft. So it won't bite against the shaft so it can turn freely. It is a result of low altitude crash even I hit TH but I wasn't quick enough I think. Third time I stripped the gears again probably because I crashed with full throttle in low altitude again.
7. broken skid in the battery holder

The thing is definitely crash resistant. The main shaft just won't bend at all. So far I only replaced main gear and the skid. Nothing else is broken.
starryalley is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 150 Class Electric Helicopters

150 Class Electric Helicopters 150 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.