Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Learning about Heli Simulators

Because I am a beginner, I tried a big name simulator at tjhe hobby story and yes it worked fine but it did not have my exact heli. IMHO, if it did not have my exact heli, maybe I should try some demo and see what I really need for basic training.

1. FMS: using a Devo 7 and UB-001 dongle... started up and setup very easy. Just messing with flying circles I notice how it held collective steps much like my 100 size

2. Heli-X: even though I setup the Devo 7 UB-001 dongle, Keyboard and all the controls were mapped and moving as they should, but I could not get the TX/keyboard to fly the any of their Heli's... removed Heli-X from computer

3. MarksFiles: I only used it one evening, but I am most impressed with how the Devo 7 interfaced.
I was amaze to see my trim button move on the screen allowing me to setup the TX heli. I really like the JUMBO, my old eyes appreciated the bigger view

There is one think that I still need to understand, it seems like the 450 size flies much easier than my 100 size... even if I hang on "dumb thumb" the stick,too long it reacts slower... reminds me a little like a Fixed Pitch heli... and that is something the 100 size will not let you do

So now I now wonder if a 450 really flies that much easier than my 100 size... So now I am looking for to Spring to try the larger size heli's

Walkera Master CP and the Walkera V400D02 which I have not flown before

Please let me know if there are other Simulators I can demo before sending $$$
elementary is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementary View Post
1. FMS: using a Devo 7 and UB-001 dongle... started up and setup very easy. Just messing with flying circles I notice how it held collective steps much like my 100 size

2. Heli-X: even though I setup the Devo 7 UB-001 dongle, Keyboard and all the controls were mapped and moving as they should, but I could not get the TX/keyboard to fly the any of their Heli's... removed Heli-X from computer

3. MarksFiles: I only used it one evening, but I am most impressed with how the Devo 7 interfaced.
I was amaze to see my trim button move on the screen allowing me to setup the TX heli. I really like the JUMBO, my old eyes appreciated the bigger view
FMS does not feel like a real RC heli at all. The basics are there, but not worth the effort.

I use Heli-X a lot as i have a Linux system (Windows emulation doesn't work well). Although difficult to set up, works really well once done. Runs almost full screen at over 150 fps. Heli-X only does helicopters.

No experience with MarksFiles.

ClearView allows you to demo (for a few minutes) before buying. I find it quite good too. Helped me get first inverted hover on my nano.

Most of the "freaks" that sim here use either Phoenix or RealFlight. Both are excellent (no demos available though), and the "freaks" here can help answer most questions.

From all accounts, larger helis have more inertia, and require a larger area. You stand further away from them (because they are more dangerous) and seem to move slower (don't be fooled). In the sim they "feel" more stable, but depth perception in the sim can be confusing.

It's said, "If you can fly a 100, you can fly a 450". However, for a 450, the "pucker" factor is a lot higher (crashes cost more). Drop a 100, and it will often be undamaged. Drop a 450 and you WILL break something (the heli AND whatever you hit).

Remember to practice in "Idle Up". In normal, most CP's act like FP's (just a little more sensitive). Whatever you do in practice, is what you will do for real (so ALWAYS fight to regain control of the model in the sim, ALL the way to the ground).

If you are going to fly regularly, especially 450 or bigger, a good sim is worth the money (but only if you use it).
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default thank you

It is good to know that FMS was not a true representation, because I thought it acted much like my v922 in hover... the way it held the stick input and corrections But elevator in a circle did not feel right... so based on your comments... if the physics are not right, I will not bother with FMS any more

I will use MarksFiles or HeliSimRC more tonight

Because Mark is an Engineer and reviews seem to imply the HeliSimRC has the physics right... and that is what I am looking for....

I do not care about scenery or canopies, I just want the to be as close to the real feel as possible... When I was flying HeliSimRC with my Devo 7, I could feel and see the out of trim, when I starting using my Devo 7 and the heli respond like my "real" heli's... I was impressed... I did not expect the connection between the TX input and the PC to be so accurate

I will give Clearview a try, but with only a few minute trial it sounds to me like they do not have confidence in there product... Its not the money, I have no problem sending Mark a donation for HeliSimRC development, because I appreciate what he is doing... but other guys selling software without a reasonable trial period is not my cup of tea.
elementary is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in