Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default HD100 Firmware

Up to page 9 of my first thorough read through of the Hard Deck instructions, and note that it recommends updating the firmware on both the CPII and the HD100. I have already done the update to the CPII, but I don't know if I need to update the HD100. Following the manual, one method it recommends is to click the updates menu item in the CPII updater. This then takes you to a download, which if you simply run it, it installs the HD100 updater. On running the HD100 updater it shows you that the latest version that it will be updated to is V1.10, but I don't know what version I have now.

So, I guess it would be easy to find out, if I could connect the HD100, but the instructions tell you that you need two Y harnesses. I assume this is a text error, and that you need only one, but at the moment I have none, so I cannot connect the HD module to check what version it is on. For the future I will obviously get, or make, a Y harness, but right now I need to know if I am good to go on the currently installed firmware, whatever it is.

Does anyone know what version they are shipped with?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's V1.0 Sutty
ROGER G is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Oh well, not to worry, I'll have to make up a lead tomorrow. Thanks very much for letting me know.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let us know wfhat the changes are
Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sutty
I have not seen nor heard about any changes to the hard decks firmware and I didn't read anyone having a problem with the module as shipped. Be sure to let us know how you like it !
ROGER G is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will for sure. As for doing it or not, the instructions say always update to the latest firmware, so I downloaded it. Since the downloaded firmware is v1.10, there must be a reason, if as you say the shipped version is V1.0, however, on closer inspection of the firmware release notes, it says V1.10 is the release version, not V1.0 as you suggested. V1.0 is down as the first ever beta release version and not even suitable for helicopters.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
I will for sure. As for doing it or not, the instructions say always update to the latest firmware, so I downloaded it. Since the downloaded firmware is v1.10, there must be a reason, if as you say the shipped version is V1.0, however, on closer inspection of the firmware release notes, it says V1.10 is the release version, not V1.0 as you suggested. V1.0 is down as the first ever beta release version and not even suitable for helicopters.

Cheers

Sutty
Hi Sutty:

You are correct. All the units in the field shipped with v1.10 which is the latest firmware. No need to update the firmware in the Hard Deck Module itself.

I'm curious, what was the exact sentence and location of the sentence within the Hard Deck User's Guide which lead you to believe we were recommending the Hard Deck firmware should also be updated? I don't think that's bad advice necessarily, but I kind of thought we left that out for the time being simply because, frankly, it's a little more trouble to update the firmware in the Hard Deck Module than it is the CPII Computer Module. As an example of what I mean: yes, you do require 2 y-harnesses to do a firmware update on the Hard Deck Module. This is because you actually have 3 "things" that need to be connected together:

1) the Hard Deck Module and the JR pigtail end of the FUIM3 would go into 1 y harness
2) the output of the above y harness would go into a 2nd y harness along with a 4.8v-6v source (a 4 cell Ni battery pack for example).

CAUTION: YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE THE HD100 PLUGGED INTO THE CPII COMPUTER MODULE WHILE YOU DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE ON THE HD100.
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just made a quickie all female y harness...I didn't know the HD is separately updated. I did know it has its own micro-controller though.

I just updated my HD module and there was no way to see the current firmware on the unit itself. So, just to be safe, it got updated anyway. It functioned perfect beforehand too.
SKYQUEST is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYQUEST View Post
I just made a quickie all female y harness...I didn't know the HD is separately updated. I did know it has its own micro-controller though.

I just updated my HD module and there was no way to see the current firmware on the unit itself. So, just to be safe, it got updated anyway. It functioned perfect beforehand too.
Skyquest:

It's no problem to over-write the firmware with the same firmware version. So no problems there. But, by memory, all of our Firmware Update applications read out the current firmware version present in the connected device and show it in the application window. If this firmware update utility isn't doing that, I need to know and see if that's a bug we need to fix. Guess I'll need to connect one up and see what happens on my end.

In the mean time, can you please confirm that you did remove the HD100 from the CPII Computer Module before you updated that one? I can't tell from your post. That's important. I don't remember the precise issue, but I think problems can arise if the Hard Deck Module remains attached to the CPII Computer when you update it. Guessing, I'd say you'd probably just get an error that the firmware update did not complete successfully, but if you did not remove the HD Module from the CPII Computer Module prior to the update, I'd like to check with the design engineer and make sure there isn't something else to worry about here. This is just something I'm remembering from beta test program, but I don't remember the precise details.

My plan was to eventually document how to update the Hard Deck firmware "properly". I didn't think people would actually rush in and start doing that right away. You guys are just too conscientious! Also, if one follows the directions that are listed in the Firmware Update Utility program window, it already advises you of this. Step 1 says "Disconnect the HD100 from the CPII Avionics Computer." But I'm thinking it might be easy to miss that important step. A picture says a thousand words. That's why it'll probably be a good idea to fully document this and at the same time show how to physically connect 2 y harnesses with the module, the FUIM3, and a 4 cell Ni battery pack. This is a document I would prepare and post on our website under Download/Manuals, Tech Docs section.

So let me know the details about how you updated the HD100 please!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Skyquest:

In the mean time, can you please confirm that you did remove the HD100 from the CPII Computer Module before you updated that one? I can't tell from your post. That's important. I don't remember the precise issue, but I think problems can arise if the Hard Deck Module remains attached to the CPII Computer when you update it. Guessing, I'd say you'd probably just get an error that the firmware update did not complete successfully, but if you did not remove the HD Module from the CPII Computer Module prior to the update, I'd like to check with the design engineer and make sure there isn't something else to worry about here. This is just something I'm remembering from beta test program, but I don't remember the precise details.

My plan was to eventually document how to update the Hard Deck firmware "properly". I didn't think people would actually rush in and start doing that right away. You guys are just too conscientious! Also, if one follows the directions that are listed in the Firmware Update Utility program window, it already advises you of this. Step 1 says "Disconnect the HD100 from the CPII Avionics Computer." But I'm thinking it might be easy to miss that important step. A picture says a thousand words. That's why it'll probably be a good idea to fully document this and at the same time show how to physically connect 2 y harnesses with the module, the FUIM3, and a 4 cell Ni battery pack. This is a document I would prepare and post on our website under Download/Manuals, Tech Docs section.

So let me know the details about how you updated the HD100 please!
Hey Tim,
I did INDEED totally disconnect the HD module. I used a 4 cell NI pack to power it up. I dont see a need to alter any warning about totally disconnecting the CPII avionics computer from the HD module. Its pretty clear actually. It does say this in the manual, and again in the instructions for the update program. (And again up above in huge, bold letters )

The update was successful after about 2 1/2 mins of programming.
Before programming, I was looking to see where the current FW version was. I didnt see a 'read current FW' or anything to click on to see what's currently in there. Just previous versions that were all betas, a 'show log' button was there...bout' it. I doubt I missed something...pretty simple update tool.

-Jay
SKYQUEST is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
I'm curious, what was the exact sentence and location of the sentence within the Hard Deck User's Guide which lead you to believe we were recommending the Hard Deck firmware should also be updated? I don't think that's bad advice necessarily, but I kind of thought we left that out for the time being simply because, frankly, it's a little more trouble to update the firmware in the Hard Deck Module than it is the CPII Computer Module.
Yes, here it is, Page 9:

Computer Software and Firmware Updates
It might be a good idea to install required or recommended
Revolectrix PC software applications,
check, and peform any
necessary Firmware Updates on various hardware elements
before beginning the physical installation of the various components
If you have not yet installed the Co-Pilot II system, for
example, it is easier to update firmware in the CPII Avionics
Computer before the system components are installed. Everything
you need to be successful installing and setting up the Co-
Pilot II Flight Stabilization System and Hard Deck Module are
available on the Revolectrix website from the Resources tab for
the Co-Pilot II product. To access this page, visit
www.revolectrix.com, click on the Flight Stabilization navigation
button, click on the image of the Co-Pilot II system, then
click the product’s Resources tab.
Here’s a check list of what you need

Cheers

Sutty
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, here it is, Page 9:

Computer Software and Firmware Updates
It might be a good idea to install required or recommended
Revolectrix PC software applications,
check, and peform any
necessary Firmware Updates on various hardware elements
before beginning the physical installation of the various components
If you have not yet installed the Co-Pilot II system, for
example, it is easier to update firmware in the CPII Avionics
Computer before the system components are installed. Everything
you need to be successful installing and setting up the Co-
Pilot II Flight Stabilization System and Hard Deck Module are
available on the Revolectrix website from the Resources tab for
the Co-Pilot II product. To access this page, visit
www.revolectrix.com, click on the Flight Stabilization navigation
button, click on the image of the Co-Pilot II system, then
click the product’s Resources tab.
Here’s a check list of what you need

Cheers

Sutty
Hi:

Thanks for that! I feel like that statement is a decent recommendation for the long run. I don't see any reason to make any changes at this time. I also feel that the instructions for performing a firmware update to the Hard Deck Module are presented well enough in the Firmware Update Utility program window for the HD100. I may generate another pictorial diagram that we can upload to the website for those who have problems moving forward.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Agreed, a perfectly sensible suggestion long term, so no need to change it. Some effectively asked, or implied, why was I even considering it in the first place, so I was simply pointing out that it suggested doing so in the manual, which it does.

My original question about which version I was already likely to have became clear when I took the time to read things more carefully on the updater screen, by checking the release notes. I rushed into posting a little, and then found out myself later.

As for the Y adapters, fair enough, since I didn't have any, I didn't bother to read it in detail about how you use them, but my gut said two seemed too many. Since you have cleared this up now, I guess if there is an update I'll have to get myself a couple of leads. Thanks for the clarification, and yes, a little schematic of how that is accomplished would be excellent.

Thanks for all your time Tim.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Y adapters to update the HD100 module:

Quote:
Agreed, a perfectly sensible suggestion long term, so no need to change it. Some effectively asked, or implied, why was I even considering it in the first place, so I was simply pointing out that it suggested doing so in the manual, which it does.

My original question about which version I was already likely to have became clear when I took the time to read things more carefully on the updater screen, by checking the release notes. I rushed into posting a little, and then found out myself later.

As for the Y adapters, fair enough, since I didn't have any, I didn't bother to read it in detail about how you use them, but my gut said two seemed too many. Since you have cleared this up now, I guess if there is an update I'll have to get myself a couple of leads. Thanks for the clarification, and yes, a little schematic of how that is accomplished would be excellent.

Thanks for all your time Tim.

Cheers

Sutty
Hi Sutty,

Not a schematic but here is are some pictures of two Y adapters that can be used to update the HD100 in the future, if it becomes necessary.

IMG 4175 shows an adapter I made up that has three male connectors
IMG 4176 shows two standard Y adapter connected together to provide three male connectors
IMG 4178 shows how the devices would be connected up to the adapter

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4175[1].JPG
Views:	70
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	360163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4176[1].JPG
Views:	72
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	360164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4178[1].JPG
Views:	75
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	360165  
PowerLab 8
jdd1 is offline        Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in