Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Your not trying to bind a Genius that was made for a Devo with a 2801 TX are ya?

That will not work.
Nope...It's the 2801 compatible rx. It binds and works fine in random mode but I want to pair it with my Gcp along with my three other walkera helis I fly with the 2801pro so they don't have to rebind everytime I turn the tx on..

I've been searching for any info I can on this and some of what I read makes it sound like only certain rx's will pair with the 2801pro. I hope that isn't the case?
candy76man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Nope...It's the 2801 compatible rx. It binds and works fine in random mode but I want to pair it with my Gcp along with my three other walkera helis I fly with the 2801pro so they don't have to rebind everytime I turn the tx on..

I've been searching for any info I can on this and some of what I read makes it sound like only certain rx's will pair with the 2801pro. I hope that isn't the case?
Not sure, since I usually just do random ID on my 2801. I did a quick search and found one person discribing how it worked for him:

Quote:
I've done it a few times:

With the RX off turn on the TX, get into the ID code setting and set the number, press enter, when it says "ID Match?" press enter and plug the batt in to turn on the RX. Light on the RX should go from fast blink to solid on. After the TX beeps disconnect the batt to turn off the RX (leave the TX on). Go back to the set ID area on the TX and toggle from set ID to random and then back to set, number should still be the same, press enter to bring up the "ID Match?" message again. Press enter and plug the batt back in to turn on the RX, it should again go from fast blink to solid on. At this point you can turn off both the RX and TX.

That should do it, now when you turn on the TX it should not say "link" and will almost immediately beep to say it's ready, and the RX should bind within a second or 2 of getting power.

To reset the RX back to random short the outer 2 pins on the BATT port on the RX and power it up, LED should blink slow, then power down and remove the short.

Oh, there are a few numbers that are reserved, used for setting up the TX, can't remember what they are at the moment, so don't use a number that's already on the screen when you go to the set ID screen.
On a side note, this might have been for a specific heli to reset the id on the rx. So I think its not the same on the Genius. If I remember correctly, the bind plug is what you use to reset it, though I can't remember where to place it. I was guessing perhaps it was the elevator plug, from the video.

I'm guessing the other steps may work as far as programing an ID. Maybe it will work for you. I haven't tried this myself.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I'm not mistaken, the only rxs that will support a fixed id with the 2801Pro are the 2801rx and the one from the v450d01.

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post
Not sure, since I usually just do random ID on my 2801. I did a quick search and found one person discribing how it worked for him:

On a side note, this might have been for a specific heli to reset the id on the rx. So I think its not the same on the Genius. If I remember correctly, the bind plug is what you use to reset it, though I can't remember where to place it. I was guessing perhaps it was the elevator plug, from the video.

I'm guessing the other steps may work as far as programing an ID. Maybe it will work for you. I haven't tried this myself.
Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's helis View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the only rxs that will support a fixed id with the 2801Pro are the 2801rx and the one from the v450d01.

Rafa
Yes I think you are right Rafa the 2801E and 2801 Pro both have the fixed ID feature but it is the Rx's that is the problem, the 2801 pro Rx and I believe the 2702 actually support the Fixed ID non of the other Rx's seem to have the support including the 2801 version of the genius, when the genius first came out many people with 2801 pro's tried to use fixed ID without success.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
Yes I think you are right Rafa the 2801E and 2801 Pro both have the fixed ID feature but it is the Rx's that is the problem, the 2801 pro Rx and I believe the 2702 actually support the Fixed ID non of the other Rx's seem to have the support including the 2801 version of the genius, when the genius first came out many people with 2801 pro's tried to use fixed ID without success.

Regards David
well that sucks

thanks for verifying it for me, at least I can stop wasting my time trying to get it to work now.

I would love to get a devo tx but none of my helis rx will work with it and I already spend way to much money on this hobby
Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I learned a trick to make the Genius/2801 bind faster. Notice that when you turn the tx on, it says 'LINK' with the little dots that scroll over to the right, which takes 10 seconds. I think that during this whole time, the tx is waiting for an rx that is looking to bind. The link may happen in the first second, but the tx wants to wait the whole 10 seconds anyway before letting the rx go on with it's gyro initialization.

Here's a baseline. Leave the canopy off for now, so that you can get a clear look at the LED on the rx. If you plug in the rx, then immediately turn on the tx (I know, I know--this is contrary to everyone's traditional logic, just go with me here for a second), you will notice that the red led on the rx blinks for a few seconds, then goes solid red. It will stay solid red until the tx finishes saying 'LINK', then it will flash red again, which I think is the gyros initializing, then it will light up green after a few seconds, assuming you are in 3 axis, which means it is ready for flight.

What I have learned is that you can interrupt the waiting(LINK) process by moving the throttle stick after the rx LED has gone to solid red. As soon as you move the throttle (maybe the same thing happens if you move cyclic, I haven't tried that), the tx leaves the 'link' screen, and lets the rx do what it needs to do. This makes binding a 6 second thing instead of a 15 second thing.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense,

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
well that sucks

thanks for verifying it for me, at least I can stop wasting my time trying to get it to work now.

I would love to get a devo tx but none of my helis rx will work with it and I already spend way to much money on this hobby
Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's helis View Post
I learned a trick to make the Genius/2801 bind faster. Notice that when you turn the tx on, it says 'LINK' with the little dots that scroll over to the right, which takes 10 seconds. I think that during this whole time, the tx is waiting for an rx that is looking to bind. The link may happen in the first second, but the tx wants to wait the whole 10 seconds anyway before letting the rx go on with it's gyro initialization.

Here's a baseline. Leave the canopy off for now, so that you can get a clear look at the LED on the rx. If you plug in the rx, then immediately turn on the tx (I know, I know--this is contrary to everyone's traditional logic, just go with me here for a second), you will notice that the red led on the rx blinks for a few seconds, then goes solid red. It will stay solid red until the tx finishes saying 'LINK', then it will flash red again, which I think is the gyros initializing, then it will light up green after a few seconds, assuming you are in 3 axis, which means it is ready for flight.

What I have learned is that you can interrupt the waiting(LINK) process by moving the throttle stick after the rx LED has gone to solid red. As soon as you move the throttle (maybe the same thing happens if you move cyclic, I haven't tried that), the tx leaves the 'link' screen, and lets the rx do what it needs to do. This makes binding a 6 second thing instead of a 15 second thing.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense,

Rafa
Yeah, I do that quite often to speed it up if I'm in a hurry...I recently found it works on the righthand stick as well....thanks for all the replies
Old 11-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ugg... I thought the genius was one that could be set. I suppose thats only one the devo side.

I knew the 2702V can, but I still haven't tried that since I'm in no hurry to get my birds in the air.

I kinda new that trick, or to speed up the bind process, but never thought about that as a trick to do. It actually happened on accident movement, and I noticed it binded faster.

Good to know though..

I have both the reg 2801 tx and then the Pro. The non pro doesn't ask the question "ID Match?" Which threw me off. And I run my micro's on that TX, while I run the bigger birds on the Pro TX.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hey bob

hi i just watched all your set up clips....very nice buttt..i just got my genius cp today and tried folling what you set your settings to from the vid...but im confused...is their a way you could write out the throttle curve pitch curve? sorry for bing so bad at this...hopefully in a few weeks ill be thinking wow that was easy. i set my pitch travel to 70% but thats really all i did so far. i hope this helps my heli for some reason it will have good power and a min later slow way down then get power again?lol im so new i hope you can help thank you so much
letner1990 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

what radio you have?
helicoptermadness311 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Devo 8
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #132 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Devo 8 should be just like I showed for the Devo 6. Copying down settings will not work from heli to heli. YOU HAVE to learn about setup. I am sorry but if you want a good flying heli you have to learn to setup. Is there anything specific I can help you with?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #133 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

UPDATE 12-1-2011
Some folks are having trouble upgrading the Devo6 to 0.3A and Lib 0.2. I did another video to show the exact process for doing this upgrade. The other video did not upgrade the Lib so it is important for this upgrade to do things in the right way.

VIDEO -> Devo 6 Ver 0.3a / Lib 0.2 S/W Upgrade (17 Megs)

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

i see what you are saying bob and thank you for the reply. what i did is used your settings once i figured out what you meant...so far i just barely tweeked it but its a learning process.....right now i need to learn how to set some changes for the tail during hard throttle increase the tail moves almost 1/4 turn...waiting on a tailblade from a member farmer and will see if that helps. well if you have any imput on a setting for the tail it would be nice...i know you said not all helis are the same but i can go from there. i want the mcpx v3 tb but dont want the whole tail if i cant use it....anyways thank you again ive only had a cp heli for two days now so i know it will take time and then i will get it ...kevin
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #135 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I did not change any settings for the tail. I left the rudder channel at 100/100 for travel adjust. The gyro menu for tail is set to 70 for all switch positions. I do not change gain with idle up. 70 works perfect.

As for the tail kicking out. Watch your collective management! It is a little motor driven tail and does not hold like a larger heli with mechanical drive. I have my pitch travel adjust set to 70 to limit pitch. If your giving too much pitch you can try lowering that a little more. or just learn to fly it by limiting pitch in some maneuvers yourself. Even at 70 a full hard pitch hit from a stationary hover will kick the tail. That little motor takes a while to spin up and down to hold the tail.

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks bob. i do tend to bang the throttle stick a lot so ill try more controled movments. to bad i broke both my staock tail blades and have to order more or else id try that now. Thanks again when im up and flying ill have to try that
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my area, no LHS sell MCPx nor it's parts. So I can't get a MCPx tail blade.
Maybe someone can come up with how to mod the stock tail blade so it will hold the tail better?
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wonder if the KBDD tail blade for the mCPX will fit the Genius, maybe someone has tried it. Probably cheaper than buying the whole tail ass'y. for the Blade.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can use the mains and the tails
pmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
In my area, no LHS sell MCPx nor it's parts. So I can't get a MCPx tail blade.
Maybe someone can come up with how to mod the stock tail blade so it will hold the tail better?
I think it would require either a larger brushed motor so it can get the rpm's up faster or maybe a small brushless motor but that would require a second esc.

Too bad walkera doesn't build the genius rx with dual brushless esc's built into it, I think that would be the ideal solution. It would eliminate the external esc's, simplify the wiring, and could probably be done with only a small increase in weight and size to the rx as it sits now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in