Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Some new stuff to add. Music is manditiory. I finally added some music to the hover routine and only one crash on the last upright session.
Then I gave inverted no piro a chance. Lots of crashes. Seems like the muscle memory from upright training wants to kick in and tanks me!

So I think that Im going to add at least one inverted session ( maybe 10 mins ) to each day as I dont want to starting further downhill than I have too.

I am seeing progress though, and I like this little training thread we have going here, its encouraging.

So ultimate long term goal. Controlled funnels ( 6 months ) and piro flips ( 1 year )
if I achieve that goal reward is IRCHA 2014!
Himilou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trying From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months

Just keep at it. You really should record yourself flying now, and 3 months later again. If you keep this practice up, you'll be surprised!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Just for a little inspiration.

Just did a test record flight on Heli-X tonight. Was a brief hover (only about 2min, one rotation invert, one rotation upright). Tail was locked to CPU. 100% speed.

It's a Heli-X flights file. I've uploaded it here as Hover1.mov, but needs to be downloaded (right-click, save-as) and relabelled to Hover1.zip before unpacking into a Heli-X resources/flights/ArchmageAU/ directory (may have to make the ArchmageAU directory under resources/flights). You will need Heli-X 4.2 (demo) version http://www.heli-x.net/download_e.shtml to view (and Java). You will not need a controller. It will work on most OS's. I tend to fly the Logo 600 in the 3D training area (which are both in the demo version).

Unfortunately I cannot capture to a video format (otherwise would have loaded it to youtube).

I hope to record an all 8's flight tomorrow to load here as well.

It's not my best, but just an example of the level of control you can obtain (or exceed). With this level of control, you can safely fly almost anything.

Best of luck to all.
Attached Files
File Type: mov Hover1.mov (459.3 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by ArchmageAU; 07-22-2013 at 08:43 PM..
ArchmageAU is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will definely watch it. On the Ipad atm, so will have to wait until tomorrow.
PS: if you want it in a format that youtube can handle, I can try recording it while I play it on my computer. Can send it to you then. Not much work at all.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thought I'd share; did my first inverted circles today

I was very high and a fair bit away, but did it. Only problem was that by the end of my first circle my left hand was shaking so much I couldn't control the rudder!! All was good and I came back for some gentle 8's to finish off the battery.

I'm definitely in that 'no-mans-land' of knowing the moves, but having to work hard at them so I can't string them together and transition with ease. At least I know the 'click' is not too far away now though Back to the simulator I go for lots of short sharp sessions... nearly there.

B
Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_random View Post

I was very high and a fair bit away, but did it. Only problem was that by the end of my first circle my left hand was shaking so much I couldn't control the rudder!! All was good and I came back for some gentle 8's to finish off the battery.

I'm definitely in that 'no-mans-land' of knowing the moves, but having to work hard at them so I can't string them together and transition with ease. At least I know the 'click' is not too far away now though Back to the simulator I go for lots of short sharp sessions... nearly there.

B
Well done. These took me a while to get in the sim before I tried IRL.

A few sim sessions and it will "click". (Then you can have fun with backwards, then sideways).

More practice on the weak side and the bail-outs.

How are your friends upright 8's?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
I hope to record an all 8's flight tomorrow to load here as well.
Recorded an all 8s flight. First one of the day.

I shortcut the inverted nose-in circles (after transition from inverted tail-in circles). Need to do more work on those .

This is essentially the last exercise from the thread. It's a little boring, but at least it's a representation.

This is packaged so Hover1 and All-8s are in the same zip. Still requires Heli-X to view. Packaged so ArchmageAU directory is root and can be unpacked on the <Heli-X>/resources/flights/ directory. Remeber it's a .zip, not a .mov, so you will have to "save as". before unpacking. (do not try to play as a movie )

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: mov ArchmageAU.mov (1.51 MB, 195 views)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well done. These took me a while to get in the sim before I tried IRL.

A few sim sessions and it will "click". (Then you can have fun with backwards, then sideways).

More practice on the weak side and the bail-outs.

How are your friends upright 8's?
My main issue now is re-learning fwd upright! Practice practice practice.

My friend hasn't made any progress as far as I can tell. I spent a chunk of yesterday helping him get his trex set up for DFC/FBL. He's got a four year old and a new-born in the house, so it's not a very serious competition. Children take priority over helicopters ...I got a cat
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

B
right on! that has to be a big step!

BTW does anyone know of a free screen capture program that we can use to capture sim sessions for sharing?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himilou View Post
right on! that has to be a big step!

BTW does anyone know of a free screen capture program that we can use to capture sim sessions for sharing?
Which OS?

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...sting_software.

Some use Fraps on Windows. I cannot get glc to compile on my Linux .
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Himilou.

I dare not do it again until I can get the transitions and bail-out consistent on the sim now though practice, practice, patience, patience, practice some more
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Update

Just finished up a couple sessions, feeling good about my uprights. Continue to work those daily. I hate the inverted but i'm starting to get the corrections down. I give it a couple more weeks before I move on again.

Progress - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=0&output=html

Last edited by Kaolith; 07-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Link wasn't working, try again!
Kaolith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Going for inverted fff tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Lets see if all that sim time pays off! )
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Going for inverted fff tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Lets see if all that sim time pays off! )
I'm sure you'll Bee successful!

Im feeling pretty good with progress so far. I've started doing a lot of inverted during regular sim sessions and just holding the heli as stable as I can. Pretty sure I'll be able to start using the training ring with inverted piros next week and actually have a crash count low enough to keep track of!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good luck! You will love it.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made it through the day and the heli is still in one piece! ... much to my surprise.

Today was just the perfect flying day here in the UK. Not a breath of wind, warm but slightly overcast. I flew all day from 8am to 4pm (storm came in so had to stop) taking good breaks along the way to do jobs about the house and collect my thoughts (I fly from the back of my house over a conveniently placed field - not used). The first few batteries were mostly gentle upright FFF with a few loops and inverted hovers to break things up, but basically a warm up. After that I was doing about 80% upright backward and forward and then 10-20% inverted hovering and a gradually increasing number of inverted circles.

If there is one thing I have learnt from the simulator that I do not want to repeat in real life it is; too much flying upside down at this stage of my learning will leave me unable to fly the right way up! A slight exaggeration perhaps, but it significantly increases my changes of dumb-thumbing it by doing too much too soon. This way has limited my butt-puckering moments to just a few.. altitude was my friend today

So anyway, I took it easy and can now say that I have done inverted circles in both directions and almost one figure eight. Now to work on slowing everything down a bit and consolidating inverted into my normal 'fun' flying.

Back to the sim now to replicate the things that I wasn't so confident on today.
Thanks for all your thoughts, flying by myself (wife isn't too interested) means that HF is a great source of inspiration.

Cheers, B
Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice to hear it works for you.

ArchmageAU did some nice compilation.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Recorded an all 8s flight. First one of the day.

I shortcut the inverted nose-in circles (after transition from inverted tail-in circles). Need to do more work on those .

This is essentially the last exercise from the thread. It's a little boring, but at least it's a representation.

This is packaged so Hover1 and All-8s are in the same zip. Still requires Heli-X to view. Packaged so ArchmageAU directory is root and can be unpacked on the <Heli-X>/resources/flights/ directory. Remeber it's a .zip, not a .mov, so you will have to "save as". before unpacking. (do not try to play as a movie )

Enjoy.
ArchmageAU, just a heads up. I couldn't open your video in the demo version of heli-x. It was because the airport in your video was not available in the demo version. This can be fixed by editing the .xml file in the Hover1 folder and replacing the airport in the EnvironmetnToLoad tab. For example this is what works for the demo version: " <EnvironmentToLoad>SkyBox1024/Dietersdorf/Dietersdorf,SkyBox1024</EnvironmentToLoad>"
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Made it through the day and the heli is still in one piece! ... much to my surprise.

Today was just the perfect flying day here in the UK. Not a breath of wind, warm but slightly overcast. I flew all day from 8am to 4pm (storm came in so had to stop) taking good breaks along the way to do jobs about the house and collect my thoughts (I fly from the back of my house over a conveniently placed field - not used). The first few batteries were mostly gentle upright FFF with a few loops and inverted hovers to break things up, but basically a warm up. After that I was doing about 80% upright backward and forward and then 10-20% inverted hovering and a gradually increasing number of inverted circles.

If there is one thing I have learnt from the simulator that I do not want to repeat in real life it is; too much flying upside down at this stage of my learning will leave me unable to fly the right way up! A slight exaggeration perhaps, but it significantly increases my changes of dumb-thumbing it by doing too much too soon. This way has limited my butt-puckering moments to just a few.. altitude was my friend today

So anyway, I took it easy and can now say that I have done inverted circles in both directions and almost one figure eight. Now to work on slowing everything down a bit and consolidating inverted into my normal 'fun' flying.

Back to the sim now to replicate the things that I wasn't so confident on today.
Thanks for all your thoughts, flying by myself (wife isn't too interested) means that HF is a great source of inspiration.

Cheers, B
Well done.

The more you fly, the easier this stuff seems. It will get to the point, inverted 8s are relaxing.

HF is a great resource for the "lonely flyer".

Was visiting a friend yesterday and he, wanted to see the X5 fly. So took him to the local park. Was near dusk, light failing fast, 20km/h gusty wind. Still managed one trouble free battery against a tree backdrop including 8s and a flips (demoed rescue and self level). Visibility was poor and I was often struggling to make out clear orientation, so I only flew well inside my comfort zone. Point is, that if you can fly the advanced stuff confidently, the simple stuff can be done even when conditions are les than ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@reez View Post
ArchmageAU, just a heads up. I couldn't open your video in the demo version of heli-x. It was because the airport in your video was not available in the demo version. This can be fixed by editing the .xml file in the Hover1 folder and replacing the airport in the EnvironmetnToLoad tab. For example this is what works for the demo version: " <EnvironmentToLoad>SkyBox1024/Dietersdorf/Dietersdorf,SkyBox1024</EnvironmentToLoad>"
OK. Will record all futures in Dietersdorf (SkyBox1024). Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Progress!

Did two sessions today. I was extremely tired so I didn't do my catchup sessions that I missed due to work. Needs lots more control on the Uprights, and the Inverted piros are under 30 crashes. For now at least. TX is in the mail, going to get an mCPx for my first heli soon, unsure when. Work takes up a lot of my time and energy.

Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=0&output=html
Kaolith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in