Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

As you just said: do learn it all one need to do is invest time!

Having some 'technical' background about 'how' to learn is bonus, but not prerequisite.

As many said: go there and fly! Put stick time (sim is the cheapest) and everyone can get there!

If you don't want to invent hot water - read ArchmageAU's list of what to try to learn and in what order and that's pretty much it!

After all - at the end all boils down to muscle memory to be built up...
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying Backwards

If you start thinking about it and trying to analyze it, I think it gets harder. For me once I can visualize it in my head I can understand it. But understanding that it's not magic is your first step to being able to do it. If it's in your head only a pro can do it. You've defeated yourself before you start.

As with upright flight. Actual flying is easier than hovering. Inverted hovering is harder than inverted flight. But it's necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks once again guys...couldn't do it without your support

I have just also got a NCPX which i am hoping will help me... I like the term "muscle memory"...

Don't know if it is right but i practice my SIM with music on, and do at a minimum 20 mins per day with now a couple of flights nano. At weekends i get to play with my 550 and my 700 love them to bits i hope all this will work on my "Muscle Memory"

I will let you know my progress...at the moment still sliding into the ground, just can't tell my brain that pushing the sticks in the opposite direction is right haha

Thank you
Trex-700 Pro DFC,AR7200BX,Optipower 12s
rgreenwood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

UPDATE!
Two weeks on, with the sim for 20 mins per day plus the nano...(not just doing backwards) and I have got it!

Done it IRL a couple of times with the nano but I can do it with easy on the sim. well....when I say with easy left hand...now onto right hand.

I can feel it giving me an extra dimension to my flying.

Big thanks to you all for the support.

Regards

Rob
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwood View Post
UPDATE!
Two weeks on, with the sim for 20 mins per day plus the nano...(not just doing backwards) and I have got it!.

Big thanks to you all for the support.
Congratulations. This is awesome.

We just try to share the insanity.

Next is inverted forward and inverted backwards.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying Backwards

I fly on RF sim everyday except for the days I fly IRL been fly for a year I have 2 TSA 700s I can fly right side up forward and backwards inverted forward and backwards and all eights IRL The only way I was able to do it was from flying on sim everyday then when get to field do what I'm comfortable then fly out of comfort level a little every flight and before you know it stuff that not comfortable is now in my comfort zone and yes I've had a few dumb thumbs and put them in the ground but only a few just stay up a little higher when out of comfort zone. The main point is there's no substitute for sim it's muscle memory and with sim if you make mistake can hit reset and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratz rgreenwood
That's the way! a nice dose of practice is all it takes.

If you want you can those circuits look even cooler, on the intersection of the two circuits (8 pattern) You can add a bit of aileron and transition to inverted tail first.
Makes a nice blade fart when doing the transition with a nice dose of collective pop.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you guys!!!

Where I fly there is only 2 other guys who fly helicopters and we are all learning off each other. So the help and nice words on here help out sooooo much!!

"If you want you can those circuits look even cooler, on the intersection of the two circuits (8 pattern) You can add a bit of aileron and transition to inverted tail first.
Makes a nice blade fart when doing the transition with a nice dose of collective pop. "

This is something I will try on the sim love blade farts!!

buckhorn580, as you say muscle memory is key, even only 2 weeks on I do it without thinking... (soon as I think I crash) haha

Next is inverted forward and inverted backwards

Thanks once again to you all!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

rgreenwood, that is awesome, congratulations!

I'm fine with upright forwards. Inverted orientations are, umm, a work in progress. And backwards upright pretty much eluded me completely. I spent some time on it in the sim over the summer, and made headway, but it was still frustrating.

I bought a Nano QX 2 weeks ago, and have suddenly made a bunch of progress. In about a week of flying it indoors in Agility mode (so it flies pretty much like CP), I went from crashing every time I turned while going backwards, to doing backwards figure-8's in the living room. Still crashing some, of course, but it's going much much better.

The sticks-apart, sticks-together tip is excellent, BTW. I find I think of the intended turn in terms of aileron, then just move the rudder the other way.

Being able to do it with something in real life made it more interesting, I guess, and also made it easier to pick up on the subtle visual clues (it's starting to tilt left, etc), vs doing it on the sim.

I have to say, this thing is also very durable I'm also using it for slow-piro practice, which is another thing I'm not good at.

Congrats on your progress!
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwood View Post

When inverted I find I just keep putting the wrong input in, I can fly backwards side on, coming back to me and going away from me, but soon as I try to make a circuit I slide into the ground
this sounds very familiar to me, it happened to me for months, and still from time to time when I get a brain fart. elevator confusion. what I did to help with this was hold the most uncomfortable hover position I could (usually the point where I fall out of the sky in my turns. (the orientation of the heli, not the bank itself). and just ease elevator back and forth. get used to which way makes the heli move which way. now it can get confusing to, bc the direction you would use to turn in that direction is actually the OPPOSIT of what makes it go in that direction. does that make sense? but it unlocked my brain for me....hope that helped and didn't make things worse for you.

that is also how I finally figured out sideways flying.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
this sounds very familiar to me, it happened to me for months, and still from time to time when I get a brain fart. elevator confusion. what I did to help with this was hold the most uncomfortable hover position I could (usually the point where I fall out of the sky in my turns. (the orientation of the heli, not the bank itself). and just ease elevator back and forth. get used to which way makes the heli move which way. now it can get confusing to, bc the direction you would use to turn in that direction is actually the OPPOSIT of what makes it go in that direction. does that make sense? but it unlocked my brain for me....hope that helped and didn't make things worse for you.

that is also how I finally figured out sideways flying.
I will give this a try, I feel I am close to nailing it.... do you guys have more problems when you think about it? When im in my own little world with the music on the heli will go around backwards BUT when I think it still goes to pot, I just over correct and bang!

Haha, I hope I get it for summer

"RedOctobyr" thank you and well done to you too

I love the nano, teaching me loads and loads!!! I hope that all this stick time is helping

Thanks everyone

Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, I just let the muscle memory go man. you have to force some of it, and some of it comes "naturally" if you may. I am not saying I am a natural at all, but like a bank turn....if you push elev to go forward, obviously you pull back to pull the turn...that kind of thing. you know what I mean.

one thing that helped me with normal upright flight was a cpx. not flying it, but holding it in my hand, and literally moving it the way I wanted it to go, and in my head envisioning stick movements to correspond with that movement. now inverted that doesn't help as much unless you are already very familiar with inverted flight, and then you wouldn't need that kind of trigger object anyway.

I have only started simming good for about two months now man. I have been flying for years, I learned everything up to this point ass backwards and the expensive way. thank goodness for the sim! lol

oh, and thank goodness for the BD3SX!

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in