Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Moving AR7200BX

So I pile drive my 300X into the ground today. I cracked the frame along with other parts.
Sometimes I wonder why I do this hobby

I need to do a complete rebuild. How many of you guys relocate your AR7200BX to the back of the frame? Should I do it, or leave it in stock location?

What 3M tape are you guys using for new mounting?

Damn this Hobby
alpinepro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have moved the BeastX on a couple of 300X! I can not stand it on the bottom. I used a 3M Outdoor double sided tape, sorry forgot the # and it is not on my rolls! I put 2 layers and I wrap it around the front a bit to be sure it is not rubbing the frame and picking up any extra vibrations.
Pro Mustang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it was my heli, I would move the bx on top. The reasons being it's easier to setup and also less prone to vibration. Make sure the front end of the bx is not touching the frame where the servos are mounted.

I use 3M 4011 (also known as 411) that can be found at your local Home Depot and most hardware stores for around $6. Last time I was at Home Depot, they have even stronger tape than 4011 for about $1 or $2 more but the 4011 has plenty of holding power so I don't see the need for it. Remember to clean the surface where you are going to mount it well with alcohol and let dry prior to installing your bx.
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Moving is a no-brainer , especially on a rebuild. One problem people have when moving it is they don't go through the set-up so some controls are reversed. Your gonna have to go through the full set-up so you will make these corrections and it will be easier to see what your doing while you do it.
PawnDMonium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to be different :-D

Ive always kept mine underside... Ive replaced the frame twice now and both times opted to keep it down low. Ive always managed to rid my vibes the correct way so that doesnt come in to it for me (rather than masking the issue by just moving the BX). I rarely have to adjust or set anything up on the BX so again being located under and upside down is no issue for me. As a matter of fact i think it is more protected underside and seeing this heli is priced around the BX i keep it safe.

Another thing i dont like when its on the top deck is moving the COG and the balance of te heli... Moving up to the top deck not only makes it more prone, it looks FUGLY with all the cabling and it sets the balance of the heli more tail heavy...

Horses for courses of course. Neither is right or wrong imho just personal preference.

Just a tip though i also use 3m tape rather than the thick squichy pad ;-) when i place the BX i use a shim each side (cut up credit card) just to give the 1mm gap each side from the frame. Remove the shims once the BX is square and stuck down firmly... This will alignt the BX in the frame perfect with a equal gap each side.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
One problem people have when moving it is they don't go through the set-up so some controls are reversed. Your gonna have to go through the full set-up so you will make these corrections and it will be easier to see what your doing while you do it.
+1 Make sure the back of the AR7200BX is not touching the frame and when doing the setup make sure you pay attention to the direction of travel on your servos - 3 have to be reversed since you are going from upside down to right side up. Sorry, I do not remember which ones they are but is is very simple.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Top Mount

Top mount requires switching F= Blue to red, M= blue to purple, N= blue to red .
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinepro View Post
So I pile drive my 300X into the ground today. I cracked the frame along with other parts.
Sometimes I wonder why I do this hobby

I need to do a complete rebuild. How many of you guys relocate your AR7200BX to the back of the frame? Should I do it, or leave it in stock location?

What 3M tape are you guys using for new mounting?
You can mount your ar7200bx any old way you want, horiz or even vertically as long as socket pins are facing either front or rear of heli and you go throught the bx setup properly.

Personally I like mine strapped down in the stock position, using Align Gel tape. The gel tape helps kill any high freq vibs you might get once in a while and the stock position is a bit more protected, and looks better, lol!

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
using Align Gel tape. The gel tape helps kill any high freq vibs you might get
TomC
I also use the Align Gel Tape and it works beautifully .. I use it on all my helis
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I moved my AR7200BX during a rebuild, too.

I like the top mount. It's easier to see the lights on the receiver. The wiring is more accessible, too.

With 3M 4011 tape it's held in place rock solid.
Otto Rotation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I moved up top and have not look back or under for that matter. Placing the BX on top has less vibration issues; hence no famous right roll dance.
5.0 MUSTANG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
Top mount requires switching F= Blue to red, M= blue to purple, N= blue to red .
This. Awesome. Super helpful. Thank you so much! I had "M" wrong and it was horrible.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi guys, do you have any pictures of how you did this???

thanks
Parsonsk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm assuming everyone here is using the stock frame?
If that's the case, how do you mount the ar7200 to the frame, there are no holes for zip ties....?

Are any of you concerned with the ar7200 sticking out the back as far as it does?

thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

I use the Lynx frame now, but I had the stock frame for a good long while with the AR7200BX mounted on top.

In either case, you don't need to worry about zip ties. Just use 3M 411 double-sided outdoor mounting tape. Trust me, that's all you need. It takes an act of god to get that stuff off once it's seated. You can find it at just about any hardware store in the US, so I assume it's also available in Canada.

This stuff...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-...1-DC/100575385
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess there's the question on how do you get it off if needed.

Are you sure no zip ties??

It would be nice to switch over to the 300 cfx frame
Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonsk View Post
I guess there's the question on how do you get it off if needed.

Are you sure no zip ties??

It would be nice to switch over to the 300 cfx frame
Although the 3m tape is plenty strong enough to retain the FBL unit by itself, removal isn't a problem...simply remove all of your servo leads and then twist the unit back & forth until the tape starts to loosen and ball up. At that point just a little more twisting and it comes off.

If you mount it close to a frame or something where you can't twist it, you can always use a small screwdriver and gently slide it underneath - don't pry! - until it lifts up.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

Yeah, perhaps I was a bit dramatic with my description. You can get it off easy enough with some twisting and maybe a hobby knife or screw driver. I was just trying to illustrate that it's plenty strong without zip ties. In fact I use the same stuff to secure the VBar to my X5, so it's certainly plenty strong for a 300. I've used it to secure a GoPro to one of my multirotors as well and that thing weighs a lot more than one of these. An inch of tape is rated to hold 1/4 lbs (4 oz) and the AR7200BX weighs 0.67 oz.

And yes I'm sure about not using zip ties. In fact I think that strapping it down like that is actually more of a hindrance since it can potentially transfer more vibrations into the controller.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I use the Lynx frame now, but I had the stock frame for a good long while with the AR7200BX mounted on top.

In either case, you don't need to worry about zip ties. Just use 3M 411 double-sided outdoor mounting tape. Trust me, that's all you need. It takes an act of god to get that stuff off once it's seated. You can find it at just about any hardware store in the US, so I assume it's also available in Canada.

This stuff...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-...1-DC/100575385
Hmmmmm...league city your favorite location store...were close...mine too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in