Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters

Other Makes and Models Helicopters Other makes and model Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Just bought a HKT500 from HobbyKing for $39

I'm super excited about this kit.

I've been reading the reviews, and this looks like I can finally get back into the heli world on a budget and make out.

I've come to the realization that I'll never be able to do that Alan Szabo "mad tyte 3D" stuff.... Just can't do it. I enjoy "scale flight." Just doing circuits, etc. If I want to do a loop or two that's cool...

Any who, I started out with a POS Falcon 3D. It taught me ALOT though. Many many many hours on the sim, and ALOT of money and I was getting the hang of it. I finally got a SJM 500. Had it for a short while and came on hard times financially and sold everything. My DX7, receiver, all my lipos, etc etc. Even sold my tools!

Been about 2 years. Bought a 4#3b and have been flying it in the house and outside when I get a bit of time. Brings back good memories.

So I got an e-mail about HobbyKing having a 12 hour sale on a HKT500 for $39. Now obviously I know its a clone, not the best quality, and it even has its issues (swashplate, weak screws) That's easily fixed with just replacing/modifying a few things here and there.

I'm very surprised at the reviews these things get, especially when outfitted with HobbyKing's products (gyro, ESCs, Zippy Lipos, even their motors). For a RC pilot such as myself, this is just mind blowing. I can build a heli with servos, batteries, all electronics but less that just a basic Align Kit.

I really wish I had the cash for a genuine Trex 500 but I don't. And I honestly don't need the speed and handling of a Ferrari. A good ol' corvette or mustang cobra will do it just fine for me (best analogy a redneck can come up with comparing a trex to a clone )

Here's what I plan on doing what's your feedback?

HKT 500 - Probably putting a few Align parts in here and there as I learn more about the weaknesses of the kit)

Turnigy Typhoon 500H Heli Motor 1800kv (500 Class)

Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro

ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C (may go higher, 3000mah?)

Turnigy MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servo 3.6kg / 26g / 0.14sec (haven't looked at all their servos, but I know they have some .10 sec and maybe stronger servos for a bit more in there)

Hobbyking SS Series 90-100A ESC

HXT UBEC 5/6v output, 5.5~23v Input

As far as a TX/RX combo, I was honestly thinking about going with a Walkera 2801 TX and a 2801RX.

Once I get the hang of this heli, I'd like to get a nice scale body for it, AirWolf more than likely. Loved those birds since I was a munchkin.

Opinions?
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

Its a decent kit. I had to replace the entire tail with the align tail the plastic one and it fixed the nasty vibration I had. Also the blades that came with mine were waaaaayyy off balance. Do yourself a favor and get another set of blades too. I went with a Spartan Quark and Futaba 9257 for the tail. Was flying great for about 50 flights and then the tail servo went wild and I dumped it. The frame is all bent up. I'm gonna have to get some align sides to fix it up plus a main and feathering shaft. Or I guess I can just get another kit. I wish I knew what happened but overall its great for the money. Just be ready to troubleshoot a few minor things. I was using the same ESC, motor, servos, and batteries.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting, I ordered a 3d-500 kit off of eBay for $34.00 and I think it is the same heli. I was actually fairly impressed for the price. I should have my electronics in 2 or 3 days. I'm using:

Turnigy Typhoon 500H
HK SS 60-70a ESC (Hope I don't burn this up)
I forget which UBEC I ordered.
Hitec HS225 for Cyclic
Trying HK's knockoff 9257 tail servo
HK401B Gyro
and a set of carbon fiber blades.

Using the Spektrum DX6i transmitter.

I'll be interested in hearing how yours works out.

Daron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9527.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	174535  
Bunch of planes and Zagi Wings
daron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a hk 450 for like 30 bucks and so far the main is bent the tail shaft was bent and the tail belt pulley was bent right out of the box. The quality isn't so bad as the people who handle it. Im yet to get it flying.

EatMorePizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way, I'm kinda regretting getting the Turnigy Typhoon 500H, it's 1800kv but I keep reading that it's more like 1900kv and I can't find an 11 tooth pinion so I'll be using the 12t that came with the kit. I think the head speed is going to be a little high at full throttle. Gonna try backing my throttle curve back to 80%-85%. We'll see... I think if I had to do it over, I'd get a 1600kv motor.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMorePizza View Post
I bought a hk 450 for like 30 bucks and so far the main is bent the tail shaft was bent and the tail belt pulley was bent right out of the box. The quality isn't so bad as the people who handle it. Im yet to get it flying.
I bought an HK-450 also a few months ago. Other than the plastic blades being ridiculous, it's been a great flyer. Not long after I got it in, I bought a bag of 10 main gears, 6 main shafts, 6 feathering shafts, 2 tail rotor shafts all for about $20 from ebay. Should last quite a while.

Sorry to hear about your damaged heli. I know that is frustrating. Especially since HK shipping is either very slow or pretty expensive.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron View Post
Interesting, I ordered a 3d-500 kit off of eBay for $34.00 and I think it is the same heli. I was actually fairly impressed for the price. I should have my electronics in 2 or 3 days. I'm using:

Turnigy Typhoon 500H
HK SS 60-70a ESC (Hope I don't burn this up)
I forget which UBEC I ordered.
Hitec HS225 for Cyclic
Trying HK's knockoff 9257 tail servo
HK401B Gyro
and a set of carbon fiber blades.

Using the Spektrum DX6i transmitter.

I'll be interested in hearing how yours works out.

Daron

I would be wary of that ESC. Rule of thunb for those HK ESC s are dont run them past 80% of their rating.

I'm using the same motor with the hobbyking ss 100A ESC. External UBEC. I like the comfort of having radio and servo control for when that ESC bursts into flames lol.

Turnigy MG930 on the cyclic.
Haven't got a tail servo yet. Probably going with a 9257.
6S 30C 2650 zippy lipos.
Walkers 2801 Pro TX and RX. All the features of a DX7 for half the cost. The gimbels are really high quality.
And I'm going to try the hobbyking 401. If it sucks ill just buy a used futaba 401.

I ordered an align plastic tail for now. Will get metal eventually.

I must have got a newer model as the hardware in this kit is eery bit as good as align screws. Not a single one is stripped. Not taking chances on the blade grips though. The feathering shaft, dampners, and blade grip hardware are being replaced with genuine align along with te tail belt. Everything else is hobbyking.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron View Post
By the way, I'm kinda regretting getting the Turnigy Typhoon 500H, it's 1800kv but I keep reading that it's more like 1900kv and I can't find an 11 tooth pinion so I'll be using the 12t that came with the kit. I think the head speed is going to be a little high at full throttle. Gonna try backing my throttle curve back to 80%-85%. We'll see... I think if I had to do it over, I'd get a 1600kv motor.

Crap...

Never thought of that. I actually assumed the kv would be lower than advertised, not higher.

http://www.readyheli.com/headspeed-calculator.html

According to that (I used the basic version) with a 162 tooth main gear, 12 tooth pinion, and 1850kv with a 6s youd be as follows:

Quote:
Voltages used here nominal only (22,2)

100% Throttle: 3042
90% Throttle: 2738
80% Throttle: 2434

Spoolup RPM Below (will be higher since pack is fully charged)
100% Throttle: 3315
90% Throttle: 2984
80% Throttle: 2652
Avg RPM you will see with 100% throttle during whole flight (no governor) 2832

During flight and load the RPM shouldnt drop more then to: 2482

With a 5S and a 12 tooth its as follows:

Quote:
This is a basic version, for more details, use the full version.
Voltages used here nominal only (18,5)

100% Throttle: 2535
90% Throttle: 2282
80% Throttle: 2028

100% Throttle: 2763
90% Throttle: 2487
80% Throttle: 2210
Avg RPM you will see with 100% throttle during whole flight (no governor) 2335

During flight and load the RPM shouldnt drop more then to: 1996

And with a 13 tooth pinion on 5S:

Quote:
100% Throttle: 2746
90% Throttle: 2471
80% Throttle: 2197

100% Throttle: 2993
90% Throttle: 2694
80% Throttle: 2394
Avg RPM you will see with 100% throttle during whole flight (no governor) 2557

During flight and load the RPM shouldnt drop more then to: 2241
Now I'm thinking about going with a 3000mah 5S

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9954

3000mah 5S 40C with a 5C charge rate!!!

For $45.79!!! I think so!

What do you think the flight times would be with that setup?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_red_neck View Post
I would be wary of that ESC. Rule of thunb for those HK ESC s are dont run them past 80% of their rating.
That is kinda what I am afraid of. When I made my HK order, they were out of the 80A ESC. The specs on the motor said the max draw was 55A, I think. So I decided to take a chance. I'm thinking that backing the throttle curve down will help as well. Guess I'll take it up the first few times without the canopy in case it doesn't work out

I have a couple of those HK 401B Gyros and I really like them, especially for the price. I did open them up and use a bit of hot glue to secure the circuit boards in the case, just to be sure. Read some reports of it being a bit loose. Didn't see an issue with mine. I have one in my HK450 and it holds the tail pretty well for the basic flying that I do.

The tail does kick out a bit during hard throttle punches, but I think that is the result of a cheap/slow 9g servo that I am using on the tail. I think the speed is about .14 or .16. Should work much better with a fast servo.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_red_neck View Post
3000mah 5S 40C with a 5C charge rate!!!

For $45.79!!! I think so!

What do you think the flight times would be with that setup?
Yeah, I think the numbers with the 5S and 13T pinions is more where I wanted to be. I may end up with a 5S as well.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Servo secret

I found a small secret that works very well when used on a DX7 and a cheap Gyro/servo setup. Setup the gyro as normal then once its set and working well Bump the travel adjust up over 100 to more in the 110 to 130 RANGE this makes the servo respond faster. It is common to set the TADJ to a lower number to slow down the piro rate but in the case of a low cost servo/gyro it has helped in some cases but not all !
69maverick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in