Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano CPX servos do not return to center when main rotor is running

When the main rotor on my nano CPX is not powered I am able to give input to the cyclic and the three servos connected to the swash plate return to their previous position after I take my fingers off the cyclic stick.

Once I power up the main rotor I've noticed that the servos do not return. For instance, if I push forward on the cyclic the two front swash plate servos move down and the rear servo moves up but once I let go they stay in this position. I can only get them to return to the "home" position by pulling back on the cyclic.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

T
techphets is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is the nature of a flybar-less system. You aren't controlling the servo, you're controlling the circuit board, and the board is controlling the servos. If you waggle the servos around on the ground, it sees that the heli isn't responding and keeps trying.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's weird. I have the same issue. I even took a video of it. It didn't seem right to me, so I opened a case with HH and they said to send in the 3-in-1 for evaluation. It also doesn't fly like it should in that the servos seem to get stuck during flight, too.
tekphobia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano CPX servos do not return to center when main rotor is running

Mine is the same, that's how FBL works. Heli flies perfect.

The sticking servos is a problem tho, never had that yet.

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Nano CPX servos do not return to center when main rotor is running

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekphobia View Post
That's weird. I have the same issue. I even took a video of it. It didn't seem right to me, so I opened a case with HH and they said to send in the 3-in-1 for evaluation. It also doesn't fly like it should in that the servos seem to get stuck during flight, too.
Is this your first real, collective pitch heli?
Drivinfast247 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivinfast247 View Post
Is this your first real, collective pitch heli?
No. I had a Blade CP way back when. I guess if this is normal, I won't worry about it
tekphobia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sticky servo is simple to check, put the TX in TH, move the collective, all 3 servos should move up and down in time at the same rate and travel the same distance

As the others have said checks with motor on don't mean a thing unless the heli is in the air and free to do it's thang
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I understand the FBL system is looking for feedback to determine if more input is required but I am also curious how the bird would fly if this was disabled and I was able to control the servo positions with sticks manually...

Is the functionality integrated into the circuit board to the point that this is not possible for me to experiment with?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by techphets View Post
I understand the FBL system is looking for feedback to determine if more input is required but I am also curious how the bird would fly if this was disabled and I was able to control the servo positions with sticks manually...

Is the functionality integrated into the circuit board to the point that this is not possible for me to experiment with?

On a larger heli (with separate receiver and FNL unit) the simple way to take the gyros in the FBL system 'out of the loop' is to connect the cyclic servos direct to the receiver and set up a conventional swash mix in the Tx. That way the auto stabilising of the FBL system is bypassed and the servos respond direct to stick input, just like you asked for.

You wont like it though!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What's an FNL unit?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

You cannot disable the fbl control function on a nCPX. If you could disable it you would find it more or less impossible to fly due to the small size and weight, and lack of a flybar. If you want to fly without a fbl controller you need a flybar heli.
Besen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What's an FNL unit?
I'm guessing that was a typo, should be FBL. Grumpy can correct me if I'm wrong.
Besen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to agree with Goat...the heli is reacting as it's designed

Should not do any harm to lift it off the floor and see if you have cyclic controls, just don't get over-zealous and give yourself some crash area
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hate to bring up a thread this old but there is a misunderstanding here and the OP has received some bad information I believe. I have searched this issue several ways and keep coming back to this thread in my searchs. Mine does the same thing. I'm on my second 3 in 1. First one had a totally different issue.

The servos do not return to center on the ground (understandable) OR in flight. VERY difficult to control. Almost took out a TV. This is my 5th FBL and my heli is doing exactly what OP is describing. It is NOT how it should act.
Mojin7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

An AS3X heli will act and fly like the real thing...if you move the cyclic stick in any direction, the heli will move that way...

To stop it, you need to give the heli an equal and opposite direction command, just as the real thing would fly...

Sounds perfectly normal for a FBL system...the sticks at center do not mean the heli will hover
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojin7 View Post
The servos do not return to center on the ground (understandable) OR in flight. VERY difficult to control. Almost took out a TV. This is my 5th FBL and my heli is doing exactly what OP is describing. It is NOT how it should act.
Of course there could be a problem with your heli, hard to say without seeing it fly.

But the OP received good advice, what his heli was doing WHILE ON THE GROUND is perfectly normal.

As for 'in flight'.. you must have eyes that would be the envy of an eagle if you can actually see what the swash is doing while you are flying the heli!.. So what makes you think that the swash is not responding properly?

So how much micro CP heli flying have you done?. They are really hard to fly. As pointed out above, unlike a co-axial centering the stick in flight wont make a CP heli return to level. You have to level the heli with stick inputs.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on JonJet's and Grumpy_Old_Man's posts.

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Of course there could be a problem with your heli, hard to say without seeing it fly.

But the OP received good advice, what his heli was doing WHILE ON THE GROUND is perfectly normal.

As for 'in flight'.. you must have eyes that would be the envy of an eagle if you can actually see what the swash is doing while you are flying the heli!.. So what makes you think that the swash is not responding properly?

So how much micro CP heli flying have you done?. They are really hard to fly. As pointed out above, unlike a co-axial centering the stick in flight wont make a CP heli return to level. You have to level the heli with stick inputs.
While on the ground... Yes... But not in the air.

I can see my swash easily. I can wrestle it into place (give or take about 18 inches!) and I can see that the swash it staying even after it has altered the attitude as I have asked it.

Here is another way to describe what I am saying without proof of my eyesight If it were possible to hover the heli 20 feet in the air, and I was to push forward on the right stick for just a fraction of a second, the heli will not just tilt forward and stay tilted forward. My heli will front flip and front flip and front flip until i correct it or it crashes. If I were in hover and just poked the right stick to the right and let it return, it would roll and roll
and roll. I understand that held in hand or on the ground it keeps trying to adjust the attitude of the heli. This is different.

I haven't made a sig yet but I have flown and/or owned several MCPx, 400 3ds, 450x, Trex 450s etc etc. I can hover a FBL setup inverted or upright in any orientation almost in place.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
An AS3X heli will act and fly like the real thing...if you move the cyclic stick in any direction, the heli will move that way...

To stop it, you need to give the heli an equal and opposite direction command, just as the real thing would fly...

Sounds perfectly normal for a FBL system...the sticks at center do not mean the heli will hover
Thanks but we are talking about the servos returning to center. Not the heli self leveling when we let go of the stick. My heli ( and the OPs?) will keep rolling or pitching further and further. When you TAP forward on the right stick it is like you pushed it and held it there. As if in 3D mode you would just keep flipping and flipping. The FBL system is not recognizing that the heli has done what you asked and keeps trying even though you have let go of the stick. This is on the ground (naturally) and also while flying.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure all trim positions on the tx are exactly centered. For me it was this.

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk
rollo.martins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in