Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Exhaust Systems - BH Hanson Tuned PIpe - Leviathan Gas Goblin Install

Muffled Tuned Pipe

A while back I introduced a tuned pipe system from BH Hanson, which was designed to be mounted on the XCell Whiplash. It was a direct bolt on.

After flying it I found it to be like most tuned pipe, incredibly annoying in terms of its sound. Al Chianelli worked with Adam Mancini to revise the design to run quieter. This is the result

Hanson Quiet Pipe Kit

here you can see the silencer. Its basically the same pipe with a silencer sleeve factory welded onto it

Muffled tuned pipe

Since the original introduction, unfortunately Miniature Aircraft ceased to exist so although it is still available to fit the Whiplash, parts for the model have become a problem

So I worked with Al to develop a mount so that the pipe can be bolted directly onto the Leviathan Gas Goblin conversion. The key to that is this bracket. It mounts to the open servo hole on the right side frame as well as to the right side boom mount bolt.

That long slot allows the tail boom to be pulled out of the boom mount without removing the pipe mount

Pipe mount for Gas Goblin Conversion

So here are the steps to install the pipe on the gas goblin conversion

Gas Goblin Install

The included bracket mounts as it did on the Whiplash, it bolts onto the unused servo opening on the right side frame. It uses the upper two bolts as well as the right side lower tail boom retainer

Pipe bracket mount location

here you can see the bracket installed and the header bolted onto the engine. The header has a brace to help support the pipe under vibration

Bracket and Header installed

The kit includes a section of pipe to connect the header to the pipe. The exact length of this is critical, we'll talk more about that later. The ends need to be wrapped with teflon tape, a couple of wraps. This is important and must not be ignored.

Pipe adapter - pre-cut

The adapter first threads into the header. Make sure it fully seats but be careful the ends can be sharp

Pipe adapter installed

The pipe itself is supported using steel brackets that have silicon sleeves on them. These slip over the ends of the pipe and slide towards the center of the pipe as shown. The orientation of the rubber mount points are important and should be positioned as shown

Pipe isolators positioned

Now the pipe itself can be threaded onto the adapater. Make sure it seats and the pipe, adapter and header are all tightly coupled together

Pipe threaded onto adapter

The threaded rubber adapters will drop into the slots on the mount bracket as shown

Isolators positioned in bracket

The kit includes a small aluminum strip that is drilled for the proper spacing. Install this over the isolator bolts then follow it with washers and locknuts. Tighten this assembly up while holding the isolators that wrap around the pipe towards the center of the pipe

Pipe isolators installed lr

Finally clip this spring onto the other isolator ring. This ensures that the isolator rings are retained in place on both sides of the pipe

Isolator Spring retainer

Here you can see the completed pipe installation on the chassis

Pipe installed on chassis

The canopy will install over the mount with no modifications.

Note the clean installation, some of the other tuned pipes are held together using springs and have large silencers that are also held on with springs. This looks more like it belongs on a helicopter.

Canopy installed with pipe

of course the purpose behind a tuned pipe is to increase performance and hopefully to maintain a reasonable sound level. Next up more info about how those challenges are met

Performance/Operation

the entire pipe assembly weighs 13.6oz. That includes all the mounts, bolts, brackets, etc

with the pipe installed with the standard coupler, the model is just a slight touch tail heavy with no fuel. Since the fuel tank is in the front with fuel in it the model is approximately CG neutral

more coming soon

Last edited by carey shurley; 05-26-2020 at 05:46 AM..
carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice. I want one.
HankAz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually prefer the look of the springs. to me it makes it look unique and you can manipulate things if needed a little.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the looks of the springs also, BUT they buzz at times and I also ran safety wire through them as a backup on my QuickDraw, I could see one of them popping off and sending something through the disk.
TRex 450L 6S Spirit FBL
Mr.HillBilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HillBilly View Post
I like the looks of the springs also, BUT they buzz at times and I also ran safety wire through them as a backup on my QuickDraw, I could see one of them popping off and sending something through the disk.
put silicone tubing over them like dirt bike guys do. and if one of those springs pops, you have more issues than that! lol those things are very thick gauge man, the only way I see that happening is if your crashed and destroy the pipe. they are so stiff that I have a tough time releasing them with locking needle nose pliers.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mr. HillBilly

The loops that the springs attach too you can bend outward more if needed? This will tighten the springs up more. If they still have a buzzing going on? You could always pulll them towards each other also to make them not buzz.

Todd

Quickdraw
TODDC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

the first time I heard that "buzz" with the QD pipe it scared the crap out of me. I have always heard of guys referring to a "buzzing" type of sound when a motor begins to run lean, and I immediately thought that was what was going on. it took me about an hour of flying and pulling the plug, and looking and digging to finially figure it out...I felt like a giant goob head man.....hahaha

Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

How much is the compete setup?
DaweMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

$295 which includes the pipe, header and everything to mount it

Old 06-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crap I use that servo slot for my RX switch.

OK, so how does this version sound?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

its got a great sound, I'll have to make some video and take sound readings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in