Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Forward flight - control explanation for a fixed wing pilot?

Somewhere along the lines I read an article that explained how the disc acts like a wing in forward flight - in terms that a fixed wing pilot could understand. I've been searching and searching and can't find it now. I'm an instrument rated private pilot with ~500 hours and am learning CP heli's. I've gone through the flight school videos at rchelicopterfun.com and am doing decent with forward flight - flying in circles in front of me as well as figure 8's. But I'm doing it by feel and haven't wrapped my head around the theory yet. As a fixed wing pilot I know the aerodynamics inside and out and that has certainly helped me over the years. On the helicopter side though I'm having trouble with knowing exactly the differences in controls between the hover and forward flight portions of flight. Anyone know of a good article that would explain this?

Thanks in advance.
Steve St.Laurent is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found this article on helicopter flight theory. Didn't read it in depth, but I skimmed it a bit and it looks quite good. It's sort of an article "for dummies" (no fancy math), but illustrates the basic concepts very well.

For you that have a solid background on fixed wing, it should be a piece of cake.

I hope that it helps!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That said, the article above is about "true" (full-sized) helis. For RC 3D helis some things change dramatically:

- Rigid main rotor
- Much bigger power/weight ratio
- Much bigger (proportionally speaking) main and tail blades
- Much lighter disc loading
- Much higher G loads allowable, and they can be negative
- Main blades are very stiff and almost don't flap
- Gyro-stabilized tail, most often including heading hold

In a sense, flying a 3D heli without doing any stunts is easier than the real thing due to the characteristics above(*). You don't need to correct the tail thrust to compensate changes in the main rotor torque. Conditions like retreating blade stall, or vortex-ring, are a non-issue, as the models are very powerful to their sizes.

Scale models are somewhat closer in behavior to the real helis, however.

* Of course, the pilot needs to learn to cope with the changes in orientation, that's a big deal in itself.

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
That said, the article above is about "true" (full-sized) helis. For RC 3D helis some things change dramatically:

- Rigid main rotor
- Much bigger power/weight ratio
- Much bigger (proportionally speaking) main and tail blades
- Much lighter disc loading
- Much higher G loads allowable, and they can be negative
- Main blades are very stiff and almost don't flap
- Gyro-stabilized tail, most often including heading hold

In a sense, flying a 3D heli without doing any stunts is easier than the real thing due to the characteristics above(*). You don't need to correct the tail thrust to compensate changes in the main rotor torque. Conditions like retreating blade stall, or vortex-ring, are a non-issue, as the models are very powerful to their sizes.

Scale models are somewhat closer in behavior to the real helis, however.

* Of course, the pilot needs to learn to cope with the changes in orientation, that's a big deal in itself.

Our Helis are real heli's.

We do not have rigid heads, it is a hybrid semi-articulated/fully articulated (Because we have 1 screw holding the blade on it allows for lead and lag, most FBL heads allow for rotational forces as well, the only thing not allowed for is flapping although the dampeners allow for it to an extent,however, that is done naturally through blade flex) head all the forces of a real helicopter are applied to our helis as well. There are some full scale heli's that have fully rigid heads and some that have semi articulated.
Many real heli's have heading hold and fly-by wire systems similar to our gyros (Again, M Model blackhawk). It is true, our disk loading tends to be much lower.

In terms of the disk acting like a wing in forward flight think of it in two fold. You have the blades which are individual wings, however, in forward flight it acts as one large disk like a wing. I think this is what you referring to.

If you understand aerodynamic theory, understanding a helicopter is not a huge leap, the details get crazy but the basics are basic.

Essentially it is just a rotating wing that we use a swash plate to control the angle of attack. For collective movements it is controlled at all angles, for cyclic movements it is controlled only in that direction of the movement. This has to account for phase lag as well (In our heli's we typically see around 90 degree's of phase lag, however, it is not always 90 degree's contrary to popular belief)

Just understand our Heli's are the Ferrari's of the heli world. They are designed to do 3d and crazy stunts in all directions. They are terribly inefficient and typically not too much thought goes into the aerodynamic design of them. Typically a generic symmetrical blade foil is used and I doubt they use an Aerospace Engineer to design the airfoils.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in