Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmonday View Post
Hi Silver Techie, I tried your pitch curve settings and it did help, somewhat. It will now gain lift but not quite enough to lift off. I also followed your instructions and attempted to reposition the collar, but I had already done that correctly last night. It is a very similar set up to my msr and my 4#3b. Even though the collar is in the correct position (see very blurry pic, sry best I can do with my ipod) and the main shaft is firmly seated in the main gear (I did follow your instructions just to make sure it wasn't that) it does seem to 'hop' all of a sudden nearing 100% throttle. It doesn't remain in the air though... it immediately loses lift. And I can assure you, it's not due to a loose collar or lose shaft. There is literally no play and the shaft is pressed firmly into the gear. Thanks so much for helping... It is actually improving in that it seems to be getting at least a little lift. I have gotten it to rise of the floor slightly and am excited to actually fly it. Thx again, Kyle
It's pretty much a mechanical setting that needs to be tweaked then.

Since I don't use a pitch gauge, I tend to do things by eye.

So... at 50% the main blade should be 0 degrees. Now if you go full throttle, you should see the fat edge of the blade go up, and then down when you bring the throttle back down.

The trick is to make sure you have the same amount of travel 50-100% and 50-0% throttle (linear curve). If you see a difference, you can adjust the linkage that are hooked up to the blade grips. If you do one blade adjustment, make sure you do the same for the other linkage, and double check the movement on the other blade.

If that looks good, another thing to try, is to rotate the collar in order for the screw to bite into the shaft from a different position, just to be sure its not letting the main shaft slip.

Thing is... I never did do any adjustment to my linkages. Although it did have a crash to where the collar got loose.

That's basically all the advice I have. GL on that.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Did you sort out your pitch problem.

I had a similar problem, I first though it was the collar slipping on the main shaft but it turned out to be the main gear slipping on the shaft a little. I held the main gear up and pushed the shaft back into it. This sorted the problem with mine. Hope it helps??
jojo235 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have just recently figured it out, the servo stripped it's gears. I just can't believe it happened on the 3rd flight. Thanks for the help guys, Kyle
kbmonday is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

subscribed!
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

So after flying the d02s today I am convinced this thing is a brute! I'm really rusty after a year off the stick and this poor heli is paying the price.

Broken
Skidz,
Tail stabalizers
Head pitch arm guides snapped off
Main blades all nicked up

And i still was able to fly this thing around and it was smooth! right up until I stripped a servo!

Anyone know the best place to get parts and spares for these things in the states?
Heli8ight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a Devo 8 and as per the recommendations in Finless Bob's vider I am trying to set the throttle hold.

I can set the throttle hold to hold the throttle at 50%, however I am unable to have the throttle hold set the blade pitch. The blade pitch seems to follow the throttle stick......

I need help preventing catastrophic crashes.

BTW this is my first Waklera transmitter and helicopter, this is also my first CP heli and I am having a great time!!!!!!!!!

Please help!!!!!!
KiteSquid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #167 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Go into the pitch curve settings. Then scroll to H for hold. Now just set a flat 0 for pitch curve in hold and make all point in the pitch curve the same!.
FYI if you did not readjust your servo arms and are using the screwy stock Walkera setup, 0 pitch will not be in the middle of the pitch curve! In that case you need to look what settings on the pitch curve gives you 0 pitch. If you do not understand what I am talking about then watch the videos again and also go to my Heli Skills and setup 101 sticky and watch some basic setup videos!

Happy flying!
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Go into the pitch curve settings. Then scroll to H for hold. Now just set a flat 0 for pitch curve in hold and make all point in the pitch curve the same!.
When I do this the entire pitch curve is flat and the heli will not fly. I apparently cannot find the pitch curve for throttle hold......... I did watch the videos in your original post, and the videos in your setup 101, are there more videos that cover setting the throttle hold pitch curve in the Walkera Devo transmitters???? I cant find them.

PS, I am currently re-re-watching all the videos linked in the original post in this tread...... and anything related to pitch and throttle curves in Finless Bob's 101 area....

EDIT: I found it..... once in pitch curve I have to set the throttle hold switch on ON to get to the throttle hold pitch curve settings........... I get it now......

BTW I don't like the chinglish that the owners manual is written in..... If walkera needs help with their manuals I might be able to help. I wrote technical manuals for a few years.... send me draft manuals and a matching item to edit to and I might be able to make the manuals in American English........

Last edited by KiteSquid; 01-07-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes I saw the Devo 8 and 12 while I was visiting Wow Hobbies last week. Nice radios but they need stick stops for heli guys and the timer needs to be louder. I explained to Walkera this just last night. I took the radio apart and the screw holes are there for adding stick stops

Bob

What are "stick stops" and how would they help "heli guys"?

EDIT: As Emily Litella would say, Never mind, I found the answer in Finless Bob's Mode Change video in this thread's original post....

Thanks Bob!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OOT

I don't quite like my Futaba 7C manual either. But still better than Walkera.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have one problem: When I set the Throttle hold in de Devo 6 I don't get the timer ok.
I do not seem to find the setting to get the timer to countdown as I UNDO the hold function, so it always is counting down if I engage the throttle hold....(So its not counting down if the heli runs, but stops!)
In my Aurora 9 there is a function to control the direction of the switch, but I cannot find it here.

What am I missing here?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #172 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

BarnOwl. You cant do what your asking unfortunately. You do not have a choice for a switch to start the timer at position 0. Only position 1, 1&2, or 2 which of course starts the timer while in hold not out of hold. I set mine to start when I go into idle up 1&2. Of course going into hold does not stop the timer.

Bob
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Idle 1/2 like Bob says is probably most common, but as I fly indoors I use normal mode most of the time, so that doesn't help me. I could just set idle 1 for a second normal mode just to use the timer like that but I just use the D/R switch and manually turn it off and on. Which is fine if you don't 'forget'.

I totally agree that the throttle hold Pos0 would be a nice feature so that when you crash the timer stops until you go get it and set it back up. I think they should update it so you can just use the throttle position, my personal favorite.

Team Compass Pilot
Scott Bowersox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I'm not missing something here.....it would be a good idea to implement it in a future software update. Just needs an extra option which way the switch functions.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finless,

Thank you for taking the time to post all of this info. I really do appreciate it.
Hopefully you can help me with something. I am still very new to the hobby, and have only owned 3ch and 4ch FP helicopters. I would like to move on to a 6ch heli like the genius or mcpx.

I have saved up about $200 and I just cant decide on which to get. in your opinion, what is a better for a beginner? mcpx or genius? which can take more of a beating? I ask that because most likely i will be crashing a lot.

also i noticed that you are in stanton. not too far from me. Are there any areas that you know of where people go to fly?

i just fly in my drive way right now, but i would really like to meet other hobbyist in my area. I heard of a spot in costa mesa, that people like to meet up and fly, but i dont remember the name of the park. do you know of any good flying spots?

THANKS
Derfman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #176 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Mosty the folks around this side of OC fly at Arbor park. That is on Lampson St. between Valley View and Los Alamitos Blvd. It.s behind a company building called West ED. Sundays is usually the day but right now Sundays is tied upw tih soccer play offs.

The best thign to do is follow us on our OC thread here to see what everyone is doing on a weekend and where we are flying:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...1663&page=1224

As for which is better MCPx or Genius, well come on out and judge for yourself.

Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Mosty the folks around this side of OC fly at Arbor park. That is on Lampson St. between Valley View and Los Alamitos Blvd. It.s behind a company building called West ED. Sundays is usually the day but right now Sundays is tied upw tih soccer play offs.

The best thign to do is follow us on our OC thread here to see what everyone is doing on a weekend and where we are flying:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...1663&page=1224

As for which is better MCPx or Genius, well come on out and judge for yourself.

Bob

Thank you Finless. i didnt know there was a OC thread. i would love to meet some other flyers.
Derfman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile finless bobs rundown on devo6

Im having a hard time figuring out how to set the pitch of the blades on my genius cp flat on throttle hold,watched the video on setting up the devo 6 and I still can not grasp it,and Im curious how to increase positive pitch without affecting flight performance,I really dont know the termonology to use but when I push the throttle stick up,the heli will not lift off until about 75%...any help would be greatly appreciated..I have the devo 8 if it matters....
jasonb777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too was having issues.

Turn your transmitter on.

Turn the throttle hold switch on.

Adjust the pitch and throttle curves.

Switch the throttle hold on and off to see the curves change
Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default other questions on devo 8

Thanks kitesquid for the info,but Im still trying to figure out how to adjust pitch to throttle stick,I need more climb out power at mid stick....IM DUMB AS A BOX OF ROCKS when it comes to 6 channel adjustments.I just graduated from 4 channel flying and I cant find any dumbed down info on the devo 8 transmitter...
jasonb777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in