Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Struggling to get lipos to fit

I have the stock plastic frame and pretty frustrated at the lack of space for mounting lipos with the 425 FRP canopy 204166. No battery bigger than a 2200mah will fit. Turnigy 2200mah 3s lipos fit in the standard configuration, one above and one below. Turnigy 2650mah 3s is a complete non starter either sandwiched or together above or below. So it looks like the only option is doubling up 3s 2200s.

Some pics. If I have this 2600 any further forward then the canopy doesn't even come close to fitting.

As I only have one 3s 2600 I mocked up another one with some cardboard. Cardboard model of the 2600mah lipo with the real 2600mah on top. This is as far as it will go. I've even pushed the model into the frame to try and create more room.

I've tried so many permutations I'm starting to go mad Seems I either have a deformed canopy, though it looks fine, or I'm going to have use some velcro in the above picture on the frame and canopy to keep the canopy secured.

This is the canopy I have.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the largest 550 canopy http://www.rossmod.co.uk/product/231..._B_Type_204164 I used to be able to get 2 x 2450 3S turnigys in that no problem
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. The 550 canopy looks a bit odd with the shorter boom but it may be an option. Weird thing is Jerrymac can fit two 3s 3300mah with the same canopy as mine and stock frame.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, I see what you mean - here is my #1 550 when it was a 425, but with the standard plastic 550 canopy

Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That doesn't look too bad at all Mike. I'm not sure if the FG one you linked to is bigger? But the proportions in your pic look nice. It's annoying that the FG canopy I have is obviously too small. I noticed a few people have had the same issue and Spootman even did Jerry's mod by cutting off the front of the frame and they still wouldn't fit. It's smaller than the stock milk jug canopy. A waste of £22 unless you plan on only flying 2200s.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "type B" is slightly larger than that,but not much, same basic shape - just a bit fuller where the black "windscreen" is
Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the arty blue splash. Are you a chef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
The "type B" is slightly larger than that,but not much, same basic shape - just a bit fuller where the black "windscreen" is
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a drizzle of vynil

Just wanted to breakup the white

Not much of a cook, though I do a mean Toad in the Hole
Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice. Just the ticket in this weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
It's a drizzle of vynil

Just wanted to breakup the white

Not much of a cook, though I do a mean Toad in the Hole
Old 12-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was able to get 2 x 3s 2.6 turnigy's to fit on the bottom of the frame with the stock plastic canopy. I bought a FRP canopy and never got them to fit.
spootman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aggravating isn't it I'm thinking of getting the 550 FRP canopy 204164, or I could just put together the stock canopy. Trouble is once you've seen the nice FG canopy the plastic one isn't so nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spootman View Post
I was able to get 2 x 3s 2.6 turnigy's to fit on the bottom of the frame with the stock plastic canopy. I bought a FRP canopy and never got them to fit.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbutty View Post
Aggravating isn't it I'm thinking of getting the 550 FRP canopy 204164, or I could just put together the stock canopy. Trouble is once you've seen the nice FG canopy the plastic one isn't so nice

chip if you can put together a Gaul you can put together the stock canopy. Its a blast to put together and it dont look to shabby after wards either. Slap some paint on on it and youll have a winner, below are pics of my 2 part gaui canopy sans paint..

Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sounds like a challange I may have a go for a bit of a laugh and see how it looks. It's the painting part I've never attempted before.

If you can guarantee that it will look as good as Spootman's then I'll do it

Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The odd thing about all of this is that my stock 425 'milk jug' canopy, and the Gaui FG canopy that I bought from AlleRC are about the same size.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock milk jug canopy seems less stiff and maybe it conforms to the lipo a little better if space is tight? The FG canopies have to molded accurately as they have no give in them. I had a FG canopy for my 250 which had been molded incorrectly and made it very difficult to fit a lipo. I'm now thinking that I may just stick with the canopy and use a little velcro between the frame and canopy. Of course it doesn't fit properly around the swash area either so I may need to look at doing something to the canopy in that area.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

CB,

I use Trex 500 canopies on my H425XF framed 550s - they do not fit properly - the canopy fits OK on to the canopy mounts at the back, but at the bottom / front it just rests upon the batteries - worked for for 150 odd flights for me, not ideal, but OK.

Mike.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I guess sometimes you just have to accept flaws. I don't think I've ever owned a heli without some kind of annoyance.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw how you had ur battery right up against the motor, that's a bad idea
on my freinds x5 he has a stop plate, to keep the battery from hitting the motor.
he showed me a old motor and battery that got to close, man it almost melted the motors bell housing, and the lipo puffed instantly, it arched out. I just got my 425 basic kit, and the carbon frame upgrade, first thing i got is the stop plate.
see how long my plastic head lasts

Last edited by fusionsx00; 12-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: typo
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree, it's too close. If you look around at some of the owner pics you will see that there is no option in many cases; any further forward and the canopy won't fit at all. I have my lipos under the front of the frame now as you can see in the pics. Still doesn't fit too well. My FG canopy probably wasn't molded properly, as others have found.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know I'm digging up an older thread, but this seemed to be the appropriate place for it. I've been using the Trex 500 canopies. The blanks are cheap then I just hand paint them.

Hyperion 6s 2600 mAh

Clearance on both sides

Doozer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in