Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Electric

MA Electric IonX2, Razor and Furion Support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fury E-xpert conversion!

So I have an extra 4035-500 and a 120HV laying around... I'm thinking with one of cgbole's motor mounts and a few minor gear changes I can convert my old expert and completely be free of nasty bearing eating, oil sliming NITRO!

I'd like to keep the 93 tooth main gear so I don't have to drill or modify the frames. Smallest pinion I could find is a 10 tooth... a 9 tooth would be more suitable. I cannot find a supplier for a 9t pinion... anybody?

Another option is to do like I did with the Stratus, and try to squeeze a 100t main in there With a big enough hammer and cutting tool anything will fit!!!

I planned on 12S, but if I have to go with 10S to make it happen I could do that by getting a couple 4S 5000 packs...

Any thoughts, or suggestions let me know. I'm new to the E-crowd, but I'm loving it! MA helo's seem to like to be electric! With the price of Nitro and the ease of charge, plug, fly it just makes more sense.

-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	284860  
Rpotter90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm very interested in seeing the outcome of this conversion. I converted the Stratus and love it and also have a used Fury sitting around. My Stratus used a 93 tooth main and 10 tooth pinion and it worked very well. My motor, however, was only 450 kv. Oh, and a 12S set up. Can't wait to see your conversion.
wannaheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haven't made any headway on this yet. Can anyone tell me if the original motor mount that cgbole made will work? is there any way to get the drawing for the mount? I tried to order one from rremodels but the order cancelled.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd like to see this as well. I've got one fury sitting on the shelf I picked up from a buddy last November and another that I should have delivered this week that was intended as a parts bird for the other.

Now, you've got me rethinking what I want to do with the one that's on its way.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The part my motor mount replaced isn't used on the Fury. Tempest and up, used the bearing block we modified. However the inside frame widthbeing the same i think you could modify our "Modification" a
little further and come up with a usable mount. I have a copy of the original print at work but, i don't have a way to scan it and post it. Either PM me your address or give me a fax # and i'll send a copy of it. Won't
be able to till next week though.. Misskimo did a Fury conversion years ago but used a Actro Airplane motor and mounted it differently.

chuck
Chuck Bole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the update.

I would like a copy of the plans you have, anytime is fine.

I don't have a fax number handy but can provide one when I get to work tomorrow.

Did you use the clutch at all?
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, Here is the original thread..
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ght=conversion

chuck
Chuck Bole is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well guys I'm sorry but I haven't had any time at home lately. I work On an extremely demanding real aircraft. Couple that with family and there is no time left!!! Soon...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, finally got to this project! Started by stripping out that nasty slime producing nitro motor, wiped down the airframe and eyeballed where the parts were gonna go. I'm using the e stratus mount, so I did have to cut the left frame and the right plate just below here the clutch bell goes to fit that mount in there. However I will cut a couple spacers and run a strip of g-10 over the whole assembly for strength. I've got the motor hanging in there right now and I'm working the gear mesh and motor alignment. I was able to just remove the clutch/starter shaft/clutch bell and leave the 10T pinion in the upper bearing block for pinion support. Really was simpler than it looked at first.

It's looking good and man am I stoked to fly the fury as an electron burner!!! Pics to come later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (31).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	321072   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (32).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	321073  

Last edited by Rpotter90; 05-31-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

After giving it a good lookover, I'm not going to add the extra slab of G-10 over the outside of the motor mount. That thing is in there rock solid! The Fury was built like a tank to begin with! Props to M.A.!

The fun part is going to be where to put the 2 6S batteries. So far, the best I can come up with is to sling one under the battery tray (ironically where the fuel tank used to be!) and for the other one, I'm going to use a slice of G-10 bolted to the bottom right side above the skid mounts, and velcro strap the battery to that. This should allow the CG to be shifted fore and aft, provided the canopy clears it.

So far, easy conversion! Just waiting on some tail blades, and a 2S pack for the RX.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Got the ESC where I want it, and mounted the 2 battery rails! Balances out perfect!

It's official. There are no longer ANY nitro heli's in my house! Sure, they were fun. But I don't miss the mess, the tingly hands after working on them, and the price of fuel. Fire up the Nuclear power plant! Daddy needs some amps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (33).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	321099   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (34).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	321100  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks great. Let us know how it flys.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

First flight out of the way! Flew fantastic, exactly how I remembered but this time SUPER quiet! Had to make some minor corrections such as swash mixes and some trims because this was the first time flying on the DX8.

Only drew 60 amps just cruising around at 1750 rpm. Even when bumped up to 1850/1900 it didn't spike over 60. Overall I'm really impressed at how easy this was. Thanks to cgbole for the pinion adapter and the motor mount! I'll try to get someone to video it one of these days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (36).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	321163  
Old 06-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey it was me that sent you the mount. Or did Chuck sent you one too? Chuck is a great guy. He gave me a pinion adapter as well when they were out of stock everywhere. Thanks again Chuck. The E-Stratus is great.

Glad to hear the Fury is flying well. Can you get us some pictures of the battery mount?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya know, I am not sure who the mount came from but thanks no matter what! I kinda liked the flybar feel until i noticed interaction. Booo flybars! I think it's gonna get a SK540 and some raptor grips! Other than that it flies great! I'm gonna drop the 5000mah batts for some 3600s I have because I flew 12 mins and only put 3700 back into the 5000s. This heli is way quieter than my Estratus! And pulls less amps too. All in all, a cheap easy conversion that I will enjoy for years to come. Not bad for an 8 year old heli!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got an extra Fury airframe. How would I go about getting a motor mount? I have friends with cnc stuff available, so I could get one made if I had prints for one.
WessCo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post a wanted ad, or ask Cgbole if he has the print still. It's the stratus electric conversion mount.

Let me know if you need any pictures or advice. It's a bit scary cutting frames, but it was well worth it. This heli is just such a great flyer nitro or electric!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would you all happen to know the dimension of the bearing that sits on top of the pinion gear?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey wanna heli! Here's the bearing: http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/XCELL_01/MA0183.html
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

anyone got a manual that points that out? The one that I have says that the part is factory assembled and doesn't list bearing dimensions?

You're referring to the bearing that sits in the block between the pinion and starter shaft, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in