Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Any good bullet insulating techniques?

Hello all

Yeah this probably could go in the main section, but as many of us deal with some pretty high currents, as well that we often are dealing more with larger and bare bullets more, I thought more of us may have more above and beyond the norm ideas.

As well I know this may seem like it's a small topic to post about, but as I was hoping to do more of the above and beyond the norm for my build, I do have some ideas. But still I thought I would pool the waters of experience of others to see what others have done that might be better.

So what have others done to make a really good coverings for things like 5.5 bullets and such?

For me I have found that one layer of shrink wrap can be pretty thin, so I was thinking of trying two for each one.

Then as well as this is what I typically do, was thinking of making a boot type cover on the female socket where I have some wrap that comes out further that then covers the male bullet a bit so as to protect that, just where the seam is part of the connection.

For this I try to only shrink the lower part so that is snuggs against the body of the female bullet, but then leaves the part that goes over the male looser so that it will slip over nicely.

So anyone else have some other ideas?

Thanks
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use the 5.5's. Got a little scare the other day after a flight. One of my conectors was Half out, so now I wrap a little piece electrical tape to secure them before each flight. Only takes a second.

Can you a post a photo of what your talking about, thanks.
zaboaa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The motor bullets are the ones that I always over insulate. I have had 2 motor bullets touch on my old 450 from them rubbing together over time. Now I put one layer of regular shrink wrap on them and then cut a piece of heavy duty thick walled shrink wrap to go over both male and female bullets together. I picked up the shrink wrap from McMaster Carr and the part number is 7566K4. This stuff has a thick wall and is abrasion resistant...nothing will penetrate it. The only downfall is that its so heavy that its hard to cutoff. But I will sacrifice that to prevent a short anyday.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
The motor bullets are the ones that I always over insulate. I have had 2 motor bullets touch on my old 450 from them rubbing together over time. Now I put one layer of regular shrink wrap on them and then cut a piece of heavy duty thick walled shrink wrap to go over both male and female bullets together. I picked up the shrink wrap from McMaster Carr and the part number is 7566K4. This stuff has a thick wall and is abrasion resistant...nothing will penetrate it. The only downfall is that its so heavy that its hard to cutoff. But I will sacrifice that to prevent a short anyday.
Hello cmarl143. Thanks for the tip on this product only I went to their website and did a search with that number and came up with nothing.

If its not to much trouble, could you provide a link or more of a name as they have quite a line up of different wraps.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I put one layer of regular shrink wrap on them and then cut a piece of heavy duty thick walled shrink wrap to go over both male and female bullets together.
+1.

Agree. If you go over the ends (beyond where they taper) they will NOT come unplugged until you cut the outer layer. You can get the heavy stuff at any electronic supply outfitter. I use it for both layers.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/798/=d4q5lg
It looks like that part was discontinued but replaced by 75665K84 which has the same exact specs.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Double heatshrink
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I weave Velcro between then around the motor bullets.
1. Insulates
2. Secures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/798/=d4q5lg
It looks like that part was discontinued but replaced by 75665K84 which has the same exact specs.
Thanks cmarl for the link.

I see that you used the 4-1 ratio product and with the size you numbers, that certainly would mean that it would cover all uses.

But one question I had was, I see that it says that it's shrink temp is 650F

I don't know if that is normal but that seems kinda high.

For me I have been using a 2 speed Wagner paint gun which is spec'ed at 750/1000 so I guess I could get it that hot, but still, at that temp, I worry about how that might effect the other things.

So I guess I was just wondering about your thoughts in that?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use these bullet connectors.
Very nice, and no shrinking
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12887
QYT001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Thanks cmarl for the link.

I see that you used the 4-1 ratio product and with the size you numbers, that certainly would mean that it would cover all uses.

But one question I had was, I see that it says that it's shrink temp is 650F

I don't know if that is normal but that seems kinda high.

For me I have been using a 2 speed Wagner paint gun which is spec'ed at 750/1000 so I guess I could get it that hot, but still, at that temp, I worry about how that might effect the other things.

So I guess I was just wondering about your thoughts in that?

Thanks
If your heat gun doesnt get hot enough use your soldering iron. I run the tip of the iron up and down the sides of the heat shrink as I turn it and it works well. When that heat shrink cools down it is like a rock. PM me your address and I will send you some.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
If your heat gun doesnt get hot enough use your soldering iron. I run the tip of the iron up and down the sides of the heat shrink as I turn it and it works well. When that heat shrink cools down it is like a rock. PM me your address and I will send you some.
Wow thanks so much for that offer cmarl143 but actually I already placed an order this morning.

Actually in looking at all they had to offer on the same catalog page from the number you gave me, I actually went with the lower temp stuff that is on the same page that is desribed as being just about a durabel as the higher temp stuff but still a little more flexible

Specifically I went with the units PN: 6823K67 for my smaller 3 motor bullets and the 6823K68 for the 5.5 battery ones.

Again thanks for offer cmarl but just to mention that for the most part I was not as concerned as much for if I would have been able to melt the product properly with my gun but at the heat required, that I might have done some damage to other insulation or shrink near by.

For this I think the idea you have of using an iron directly on it is probably the smart way to go but for me I never seem to have gotten very good results with that technique and so that's why I thought I would try the lower temp product and see how that goes.

But thanks again for the offer and as well for the tips on the products.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let me know how that lower temp stuff works out for you. Im going to have to give that a try and see if its just as strong as the high temp tubing.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try some self amalgamating tape. Also good for taping up and providing a good grip on deans connectors. Basically, over time the layers of tape bond together. You can normally buy it at a sailing shop... Yachies use it on sharp rigging to prevent cuts and scratches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in