Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2580 vs 2010 kv for 3s

Hey Mini lovers, I don't know enough about motors to work this out so here's two questions -
Regarding the esc running temps, will there be any difference in temperature in an esc controlling the 2580 kv motor on 3s vs the 2010 kv also on 3s? In both scenarios they would run the 15 tooth motor pulley and this is in a stretch with 350 mm blades. The esc is the YGE 60.
Second question - would one of those setups have more power than the other?
The answers can be theoretical if nobody knows from experience. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was running a 4S motor (not the Scorpion, but the cheap 2100kV Turnigy) on 3S for a while when I had my Mini new. Also stretched, 15T, YGE. I can´t give you HS numbers, but power @100% TC was comparable to the 2580kV @60-65% TC. Esc temps were a bit lower, motor temps about the same (again, no exact numbers). Unfortunately I did not gain much flight time, if any. Could be that the Turnigy motor is not very efficient or that the different winding for a 4S motor (longer strands, more resictance) in general made up for the power savings. Anyways, with the 4S motor 100%TC was nice and powerful enough for a good workout, but I switched over to the stock 3S motor as I also wanted a bit more power/HS occasionally, running 58-68-78TC now.

Hope that helps
Dr

PS here´s a nice video from Dario which made me want to try this config:
Protos 450 Strech 4s setup flown with 3s (1 min 47 sec)
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks doc, yes I was hoping for lower esc temps and by my reckoning ( which doesn't account for much) at my target headspeed of around 2400 rpm, the 2010 kv would be more efficient as it would be running closer to it's max rpm as opposed to the 2580 which gets that HS at 70% throttle on gov store. But does a motor running at more efficient rpms equate to a cooler running esc? I wouldn't know but I'd presume so.
Had to have a laugh at the cheeky pedestrians walking through the airfield in that vid
Big difference in power there compared to a 6s stretch isn't there.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not only in comparison to 6S (assuming this, I have no first hand expirience), but also in comparison to 3S on 3S motor it´s very tame. As much as I liked the smooth action I found I need a little more oomph for windy days or when I have too bleed off some agression. The problem is what you see in the video is 100%, so you cannot get more power by simply cranking up throttle. Plus the gov does not work.

Looking at my TC numbers the 14T would be more efficient for me (closer to 100%), but it obviously is prone to crack, so I´m trying the re-winding route next.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agree with you there. My 3s stretch really is only nice when it's dead calm. I've got plenty other birds to fang it when it's windy.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should have read your sig So you can set up a mild and a wild one, nice!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

As soon as I get my last few pieces in, I'm going to try my 2520-1360kv motor in a stretched mini with a pulse 2200 4s battery. On 15t pinion, it should give around 2500 to 2600 headspeed which would be perfect for my flight style. If I need a little more, I have the 16t to go to. I also got a giant power dinogy 1500 6s battery to give a try. I was thinking about removing a cell and converting it to a 5s battery to get my gearing, motor kv, and voltage in their sweet spots for my low to mid range headspeed flight.

I think I killed my nanotech 1300 6s batteries with the 2520 motor. It was coming down every flight with a low voltage beep after a 3 minute flight, they were really hot, and starting to puff.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I am running the scorpion 2221-12 non stretched mini-protos... with stock pinion and the YGE-60amp esc...

I run it in governor mode at about 83% throttle, and I find it fine. Seems to have enough power for me, can to tic-toc's all day long on it, and I fly it in 50km/h (30m/h) winds... tho I tend to up the speed to 85% for those days...

But overall I find it fine... if your looking to absolutley smack the hell out of it, then 6s, stretch, scorpion all the way (2520 1360kv) with align 360mm blades and some edge 60mm on the tail...

But as stated, I havent stretched it yet... but I am tempted...
Manyc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in