Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Really really silly question...

How do you guys make parts (on solidworks or Rhino or any other) and know exactly where the indents are and the little spaces etc,, so it actually fits into the heli?
For example,, I know the CAD software comes with tools to adjust scale and measurements, and I know you can imagine the piece in your head and draw it on the comp, but how do you actually know that between a corner and an indent on one particular part there is half a millimeter (in many places is very difficult to place a caliper), or more, or less. If you draw the part, and you get the distance to whole for screws or latches wrong then the part wont fit the heli.

Lets say you want to make a part identical to one you already have,, how do you measure the actual part so you know how the lengths, widths, etc will be when you draw on the computer?

Sorry for the super newbie question.

MA Furion 450, Mikado Mini V-Bar, Scorpion 2221-8, 13T, CC Ice Lite 75A, --- Walkera 60#B, Stock Motor, Stock Servos, Stock Blades and Futaba GY520 (yes!) Spektrum DX7se.
And, CRAVING for a HENSELEIT TDR!!!!
gobase is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You use Calipers and/or Micrometers to measure the part (if you are copying one). There are many other tools and tricks to properly measuring a part.

Once the part is drawn, you can "fit" it into the Heli, assuming you have it drawn in the Computer also. Usually it will involve making a few prototype parts, each a different from the one before, to get to the final design.

Dennis
kmpstr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My CNC machine has a probe attachment that can be used to "scan" a part. It "sweeps" the probe across the part, pecking with the probe until it makes contact, then recording the point relative to already-collected points. You end up with a "point cloud" you can then "skin" to recreate the part. I rarely use it for that purpose, though. I use it to locate key spots on the part, outer edges, screw holes, etc. and then use that data to model what I plan to fabricate and make sure the critical dimensions are accurately located.
RocketSled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I read about 3D scanners,, with laser, etc,,, has anybody used one of those for small heli pieces?

MA Furion 450, Mikado Mini V-Bar, Scorpion 2221-8, 13T, CC Ice Lite 75A, --- Walkera 60#B, Stock Motor, Stock Servos, Stock Blades and Futaba GY520 (yes!) Spektrum DX7se.
And, CRAVING for a HENSELEIT TDR!!!!
gobase is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is how I did my first frame.
You can also us a video scanner like this one:
http://www.tormach.com/product_cnc_scanner.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpstr View Post
You use Calipers and/or Micrometers to measure the part (if you are copying one). There are many other tools and tricks to properly measuring a part.

Once the part is drawn, you can "fit" it into the Heli, assuming you have it drawn in the Computer also. Usually it will involve making a few prototype parts, each a different from the one before, to get to the final design.

Dennis
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobase View Post
How do you guys make parts (on solidworks or Rhino or any other) and know exactly where the indents are and the little spaces etc,, so it actually fits into the heli?
For example,, I know the CAD software comes with tools to adjust scale and measurements, and I know you can imagine the piece in your head and draw it on the comp, but how do you actually know that between a corner and an indent on one particular part there is half a millimeter (in many places is very difficult to place a caliper), or more, or less. If you draw the part, and you get the distance to whole for screws or latches wrong then the part wont fit the heli.

Lets say you want to make a part identical to one you already have,, how do you measure the actual part so you know how the lengths, widths, etc will be when you draw on the computer?

Sorry for the super newbie question.
Hand held calipers, micrometer etc and if you are lucky like me a CMM (Co-ordinate measuring machine) accurate to within .0001" but that would be dependent on the part that is actually being measured. Laser scanning equipment which unfortunately I dont have readily available but if need be I can get the use of one. I have just gotten into this hobby and I am looking forward to making my own replacement parts.
celticfc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in